Should DCSE8 have a clock?
No, it's a waste of your coding time and space in DCSE8.
 23%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but make it switchable and disabled by default.
 11%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but make it switchable and enabled by default.
 52%  [ 9 ]
Yes, and make it always shown.
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

The question is pretty self-explanatory. Vijfhoek suggested that Doors CSE 8 contain a digital clock readout in the bottom-right corner of the desktop. I think it would be cool, but there are some problems:
1) It would slow down rendering the desktop
2) It would take a few hundred bytes of code to implement
3) Most importantly, many people don't bother to set their calculator clock, and RAM clears clear it, so the time might be more of an annoyance than anything.
What do you think?
It would be cool, but not needed.

Will there be some form of support for programs to give more functionability and customizing of DCS8? If so, it can just be thrown into one of those kinds of things. I don't see it as a need for the program, especially for a 1st release.
I think a clock is a good idea. I believe the low adoption rate of it for the 84+ was due to the large library of 83+ (and thus clockless) software.

With the 84C there is an opportunity to embrace the hardware as you can rely on it being present.

Providing a cleaner interface for ASM programs might also help encourage people to make use of time in their games?

Either way a low-impact inclusion of the feature would be preferable, possibly just something in a corner etc.
I vote yes. =) Shouldn't take up terribly much space since a clock is built into the OS, so hopefully you can call into those routines, and it's a useful thing to have.
In general, I'd say clocks are only useful if they're correct. Given RAM clears are fairly common and TI haven't changed the clock-reset behavior, it's not worth implementing.

On the other hand, this is a platform that you know always has a clock available (cf my usual arguments that we can throw out a lot of legacy cruft on the CSE). But if we assume the clock frequently needs resetting, it's more of an annoyance than a useful feature.
I'm leaning towards "no".
Perhaps there is a way to safely store the clock information so that it isnt vunerable to RAM resets?

Although i think it would be a good feature (and another thing to add to the features list Razz), it isnt of high priority.
Maybe make some sort of add-on ability to DoorsCS so that programs can be made to hook into DCS and do things like render a clock?
Thanks to all the feedback here, I have decided to add the clock. Here are the screenshots of it in action as well as what I had to do to get it working.
I like what I see. I will probably suggest before someone else, maybe add in an extra config item to use a 24 hour mode?

Also, what about the date? Maybe something like GlassOS swapping the date and time? Or another item in DCS's main menu for the full time/date? Not trying to push for more to be added, just wondering how far this will go.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours