Well a while back (5 years) I was planning on building a computer. I was never able to do it due to having a down payment on my car. With my car now paid off I am now shopping for parts, for a build, and was looking for someone to review my parts list. The ideal machine, is a gaming computer that is not outrageously expensive, and I feel the following wishlist may accomplish that.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27810487
Bump
You should go with liquid cooled. Those always let you over clock (if you really wanted to) and are great for gaming. I am thinking on making a computer as well, so make sure to tell me how yours worked out.
Oh if you wanted a sweet system, check out the Mac Pro. 7 teraflops computing power with up to 6 monitor ports. It's pretty snazzy.
I don't have any particular comments; you're venturing out on the high end of the cost range that I like to work in, and I don't really keep up on GPUs.
The CPU seems like a good choice (probably not worth the premium to go up to Haswell). Your power supply seems like ridiculous overkill though. Not having looked at the power requirements for the parts you've specced, I'd think a good-quality 600W model should be more than enough power.

For this amount of money, I'd also consider picking up an SSD. It'll do wonderful things to the general system responsiveness.
Hello,

I'm going to have to disagree. Taking a quick look, it seems that you are using pre-Haswell motherboards and chip sets. Haswell has a new socket, LGA 1150, so you won't be able upgrade in the future. I would hold off a few more months until the initial price hike for Haswell architecture drops off.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours