The year is 2021. Having just getting your PhD in quantum physics from MIT, you start looking for a job at an accelerator. You get turned down at CERN (home of the LHC), but you get referred to a certain Dr. Pimathbrainiac, who hires you on the spot. He is an astrophysicist studying how gravity and magnetism affect our solar system. He sends you to PSL (Pimath's Space Laboratory), where you begin your illustrious career as a quantum physicist turned astrophysicist.

This will be the underlying story for my contest entry: PSL.

It will be coded in hybrid Axe/Basic (Axe for graphics, and BASIC for calculations).

This project will combine the ideas of particle forces and projectile motion into an enjoyable physics game. (you might want a second calculator and some paper ready, for this will be a computational physics game)

I'll keep y'all posted for anything else that comes up.
Sounds very cool. I can't wait to try it. *ordelore wonders why pimath is in many of the names*
ordelore wrote:
Sounds very cool. I can't wait to try it. *ordelore wonders why pimath is in many of the names*

Because Pimath is my username Razz
Great, someone doing a game with particle forces! I was just talking about simulating solar systems and how much fun I think it would be to write such a program; I'm glad you're doing it. If you want any inspiration, benryves just pointed out this video on IRC.
I'm trying to get both the particle physics and projectile motion in one game. Hopefully it will be enjoyable and also work.
pimathbrainiac wrote:
I'm trying to get both the particle physics and projectile motion in one game. Hopefully it will be enjoyable and also work.
Ah, both ambitious and admirable. I'm imagining something with rockets... Wink
KermMartian wrote:
pimathbrainiac wrote:
Ah, both ambitious and admirable. I'm imagining something with rockets... Wink

You ruined the very first challenge Razz
Well, here's a screenie for the beginning text:

I've decided to make the physics portion of the program in BASIC and reward minigames in Axe.
Looking good, pimath! Will you have a way for players/users to pull up that screen of equations as a reference at any time?
Very nice! I cant wait for more screenshots
KermMartian wrote:
Looking good, pimath! Will you have a way for players/users to pull up that screen of equations as a reference at any time?

Probably. I might just save that screen to Pic1 and have a hotkey to disp Pic1.
Update!!!

(Obviously, I'm going to change these equations later so you can't cheat when playing Razz)

I'm just having the player write the equations down because I'm better with Axe than with BASIC.

What do you think?
Update!!!

I scratch what I said about changing the equations, btw. They are hard to make in the first place *whew*
Keep up the steady work! You're doing a solid job so far, from what I see, especially considering that you won't be stuck finishing up your entry right before the deadline if you continue at your current pace.
I plan to be done before July 14th (because then marchin' band starts, and I'll have virtually no time to work)
Sounds cool:) definitely a program to look forward to. Wish you luck and have fun coding:) I would enter my physics simulation game in the contest, but it has no educational value lol:P
I really like the story behind it! Looking great, I better speed my stuff up as well by the looks of yours. Good luck!
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
Sounds cool:) definitely a program to look forward to. Wish you luck and have fun coding:) I would enter my physics simulation game in the contest, but it has no educational value 0x5:P
So give it educational value and enter it (as long as you haven't already released it, which would disqualify it). Why not have a chance at winning some calculators?
I'm liking all the positive feedback, so thank you.

Also: I'd like to point out that the next problem will have a skip for people who haven't taken trig/precalc. I'm going to do this if I have a problem that I know people under <x> level can't solve due to exposure.

The overall bottom line for this program will be algebra 2/basic trig (I believe parametric equations are algebra 2, anyways)
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
Sounds cool:) definitely a program to look forward to. Wish you luck and have fun coding:) I would enter my physics simulation game in the contest, but it has no educational value 0x5:P So give it educational value and enter it (as long as you haven't already released it, which would disqualify it). Why not have a chance at winning some calculators?
I would but I am only in eighth grade and have little knowledge on advanced math and equations... Other than that it would be a decent program(though not likely have a chance at winning) I really want the 84 color though...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours