I'm trying to write a program to calculate the vertex of a parabola. Everything works just fine, but I face trouble when trying to output my answer. I would really like for it to output an ordered pair (h, k), substituting h and k for variables I have calculated. I have seen methods of converting numbers to strings, but when I tried using these methods, it gave me non-real errors. Is there any way I can output an ordered pair with variables as the coordinates?
Welcome to Cemetech, Cammie827! Are we talking about Prizm C or Prizm BASIC? I assume the latter, probably. Can you show us the code you tried to use for the output that gave you the non-real error?
Sure I can!

Code:
For 1+Int log H→I To 1 Step -1
Str 2+StrMid("0123456789",1+Int (10Frac (N/10^I)),1)→Str 2
Next

And yes, I am using BASIC
Sorry for the double post, but i'm really stuck on this. Can anybody help?
The only thing I can think of in your code that could cause a non-real answer error would be that logarithm there; is it possible you're taking log 0 and/or did not initialize H properly? I notice you use both H and N there, when I think you intend to just use one.
The N was just a typo, sorry for that. I've rewritten the code in my calculator assuming it was also a typo, and now I have it working, until I put in a negative. I can easily use the absolute value, and add a "-" to the string, so that's no issue. However, putting in a decimal results in only displaying the whole number part. How can I get it to add the decimal, too?
You can perhaps find a low enough decimal point and start your string from there, and add in the decimal point just before when it reaches the 10^0th place.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours