This is the new home for the CAS I have been making. It is now in the 'Your Projects' thread because I have actually started to code the CAS and also because I think more people will actually go here instead of 'Suggestions'. Anyway, here is the opening post:

In a few weeks, I will be going to Puerto Rico to visit family. That would be all fun if it wasn't for one thing: The Long Plane Ride! While brain-storming ideas about what to do with my year-old TI-84+ SE, I thought of an idea: a CAS. A CAS has long been on top of my list of what I would like in the TI 83+/84+ and I have decided that since no one has made a good one yet (Symbolic won't do CAS automatically) I am going to take matters into my own hands. In return for me coming up with the pseudocode and some very basic code by the time I get back, I would at least like a veribality test on how this program would work and/or be need to be coded. My best programming abilities are with TI-Basic and Axe. So, unless anyone has a better idea, it would be programmed in Axe. I know people might say, "This is a very ambitious project." I provide a solution: open-source. Whenever I, or someone else, makes an improvement to the code, that improvement would be posted here in this thread. I would very much like comments about the CAS.
Important stuff fom the old topic here:

Code:
FOIL of the form (ax+b)(cx+d)
acx²+dax+bcx+bd

KermMartian wrote:
Well, generally a CAS is a lot more general. It first takes an equation in symbolic string form (like ax+b(c+dx)), performs operations called lexing and parsing to reduce the input to some kind of tree (here, first add c and d times x, then multiply the result by b, then add that result to a times x). Then, it can use a set of rules to simplify. For example, using constant multiplication rules, it can simplify to ax+bc+bdx (in its tree form, not in string form). Next, it can combine coefficients to get (a+bd)x+bc. Finally, it can see there are no more simplifications to apply, convert its tree (or AST) back to a string, and show that to the user.

AHelper's
AHelper wrote:
You could always look into the gCAS/gCAS2/Graph3DP threads.

For how trees can be used for math, look at a gif generated by gCAS2 doing evaluation:

Something new I just found here:http://www.freemathhelp.com/algebra-formulas.html

(a + b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2
(a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3
(a + b)4 = a4 + 4a3b + 6a2b2 + 4ab3 + b4
EDIT: with contest #10 going on, getting ready for a week away from home, and the Puerto Rico trip, CAS8x will temporarily be put on hold.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours