If the theme hasn't yet been settled, then I think a CALCnet contest would be pretty cool because ASM, Axe and now BASIC programmers have the necessary tools to create CALCnet programs. The diversity of entries would be great too; multiplayer games, web searching apps etc. It would also advertise the new functionalities of DCS7 and the new CALCnet parts of DCSB Libs.
Well, we definitely need to make it something educational, so I'm not sure CALCnet would exactly fit that requirement. I think most teachers would think of calculator-to-calculator communication or networking as antithetical to educational applications. Smile
Moreover, gCn functionalities are restricted to 84+. And not everyone can use an Arduino board, nor even have two calcs (I haven't anything of what I mentioned).
Good point there. I didn't consider that.
I do hope we can do a contest or mini-contest with gCn or Cn2.2 in the future, though. Smile In the meantime, how does everyone feel about the idea of a physics program within the realm of macroscopic (planet) or microscopic (subatomic) particle simulation? Programs would be ranked on how educationally valuable, how accurate, and how fun they are. Alternate suggestions?
I like these ideas, but I wish that we could do Prizm entry's. :/

KermMartian wrote:
Spenceboy98 wrote:
If we did do this, would Prizm programming be involved too(not just z80)?
Due to the circumstances of this contest, we will only accept z80 (TI-8x) entries, in two categories: BASIC and Axe/ASM. If you don't write code for z80 calculators, don't worry, this won't be our last contest.
I like the idea of a particle simulator as well; I always have wanted to be able to play a version of the powder game on my calculator... Plus I am currently working on a particle simulator to pass up time while I wait to finish the Picraft update(I may never release the particle simulator though)
I think it is settled to do a physics-based contest? Prizes hopefully. *wishes for TI84PCSE*
> Educational
> Ti8x series only
> Programs rated on how educationally valuable ... they are
> Specific topic
> Shorter contest

I saw this going downhill from the first few posts, but now this is really turning into a large-scale disappointment
Nonsense! I think this is a great idea...well except on the education thing, that is kinda disappointing, but other than that it's a great idea:)
Ashbad wrote:
> Educational
> Ti8x series only
> Programs rated on how educationally valuable ... they are
> Specific topic
> Shorter contest

I saw this going downhill from the first few posts, but now this is really turning into a large-scale disappointment

We are trying to have good relations with TI, and we'd like to show them that we aren't all about games, but we also include that the TI is an educational device, and as such, we'd like to promote the creation of said programs. Why is that a bad thing?

I do think we need to have an open educational topic, not just 'build this specific thing', but we need to focus a bit more on creating some things that can be used in the class room for more than entertainment.
> Educational - what's wrong with that? We have plenty of game contests; it's nice to mix it up
> Ti8x series only - also seems reasonable, considering this is Cemetech. We are probably going to have a Lua/TI-Nspire contest in the fall
> Programs rated on educational value - Again, I think that's a reasonable metric for educational games
> Specific topic - That is still open to debate; please provide positive rather than negative feedback. Our experience with other recent contests is that a more specific contest engenders more competition
> Shorter contest - When did we say this? It will probably be 6-8 weeks.

tifreak8x: Not to mention that we almost always have a games contest. It's getting boring. Wink

ordelore: There will almost definitely be TI-84+CSE prizes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours