First of all, if I put "by Hayleia" in the title, that is not (only Razz) to advertise for myself. It is because there originally was another TinyCraft project that got cancelled, and I started another one.

And for those who don't know me, excuse me if my sentences make no sense. This is because I am French.
(Also excuse my non-organized post, as usual Razz)

So, this is meant to be (yet another Razz) Minicraft clone.

The previous TinyCraft project was a group open-sourced project but there was no main coder, I think this is why it got stopped. So for this one, I am the main coder (and you could blame me if I give up Razz) but of course, any help is appreciated Wink

Here is the latest release at this date. And I got the ID 777 o.o [/edit]

Technical Features:
- 4 levels of grayscale
- 6 MHz

Keys are configurable, except for two ones: [Sto▶] to save your progress and [ON] to display the MiniMap (on a version that I never released Razz)

Screenshot time Razz

(don't know what to add to this post for now Neutral)
Going to download when I get home Very Happy
+1 :3
Looking pretty polished. Only thing that turns me off is the grayscale mask visibly flickering between movements.
Yeah, the grayscale flickering was the first thing that caught my eye as well, although I'm impressed at the technical feat of the grayscale smooth scrolling. The circular main menu is particularly spiffy. Does this have any NPCs or mobs? Can you build and/or destroy? Is the map entirely 2D, or can you build up and dig down?
Greyscale is pretty difficult to get right without interrupts in Axe; it's already incredible to get the greyscale that smooth without resorting to 15MHz.

Great job, Hayleia!
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, the grayscale flickering was the first thing that caught my eye as well, although I'm impressed at the technical feat of the grayscale smooth scrolling. The circular main menu is particularly spiffy. Does this have any NPCs or mobs? Can you build and/or destroy? Is the map entirely 2D, or can you build up and dig down?

This is pretty much a port of Minicraft, so in order to mine further down, you first need to find stairs leading down.
The world in Minicraft is divided into a series of 'layers' each only accessible by stairs. However, within each 'layer', there are three 'sub-layers', one for solid terrain impediments(e.g. trees and stone), one for walkable terrain, and one for pits(note that liquids can flow into pits if they are connected)
Hmmm, I vaguely get that, but I'd probably have to play it to get a more intuitive feel for the mechanic that you're describing. Hayleia, I must say that I'm glad you clarified why your name was in the title. When I first saw the topic, my gut reaction was to edit the title to remove that. Wink
Thanks all for the support Smile

Ashbad wrote:
Looking pretty polished. Only thing that turns me off is the grayscale mask visibly flickering between movements.

Yes, but unfortunately, I can't do anything about that Sad

KermMartian wrote:

Concerning NPCs and mobs, there used to be chickens in the game but for some reasons, they disappeared. I must have broken them. And enemies are a must, they are just not implemented yet Wink
For now, you can destroy (and get resources), and you used to be able to rebuild by cheating, using the B key. But I broke that with an optimisation. That was just for testing purposes anyway. I need to get a legit way to build in the game.

leafiness0 wrote:
Greyscale is pretty difficult to get right without interrupts in Axe; it's already incredible to get the greyscale that smooth without resorting to 15MHz.

Great job, Hayleia!

That is why I use interrupts for the greyscale Wink

KermMartian wrote:
Hayleia, I must say that I'm glad you clarified why your name was in the title. When I first saw the topic, my gut reaction was to edit the title to remove that. Wink

In fact, at first I called it TinyCraft II, because it was a second TinyCraft project. But Leafy and Jacobly said that since the first one never got finished, it was like there was no TinyCraft I, so I could name it TinyCraft. So I just put my name in the title so it is not confused with the first one Smile

KermMartian wrote:
Hmmm, I vaguely get that, but I'd probably have to play it to get a more intuitive feel for the mechanic that you're describing.

There are 5 levels. Here they are, from highest to lowest:
-Sky
-Surface
-Mines
-Deep Mines
-Nether

In fact, the aim of the game is to kill the air wizard (not coded yet Razz). For that, you start on the Surface and want to go to Sky. Problem: stairs to sky are surrounded by granite blocks and you need a gem pick to destroy them. And gems can only be found in Nether. So you need to have your way through Mines and Deep Mines in order to get to Nether and come back to Surface once you got enough gems.
For example, the first screnshot shows Stairs between Surface and Mines.
Hope that clarifies things a bit Smile
(I should add this to the readme)
Yes, that clarifies things a lot, thanks! And it sounds quite fun; I'm glad it has a story and purpose like that, as a pure sandbox game wouldn't be the most fun on a calculator. If you don't want to call it TinyCraft II, to avoid the cumbersome (by Hayleia) after everything, what about a suffix like TinyCraft H or TinyCraft HL or something?
Hayleia wrote:

Concerning NPCs and mobs, there used to be chickens in the game but for some reasons, they disappeared. I must have broken them. And enemies are a must, they are just not implemented yet Wink
For now, you can destroy (and get resources), and you used to be able to rebuild by cheating, using the B key. But I broke that with an optimisation. That was just for testing purposes anyway. I need to get a legit way to build in the game.

Yeah, I was playing this game and I didn't create a world so it was all black, you know, and I pressed some button (believe it was X) and after a while the screen filled with random blocks, oddly enough. There were all kinds of thing I didn't know what they were, and the hit detection seemed to be screwey. In this state, there was this chicken that kept appearing and disappearing, and I was like "What in the world"...

Also, I can place blocks by pressing "2nd" and "Alpha" at the same time, and switch what block I'm holding by pressing "MATH" while holding down the left or right arrow keys. So there you go.
I ignored this for a while because I thought it was going nowhere, but I have to say, this is really impressive. 6MHz? I'm surprised you get decent fourscale at all. Nice job!
CalebHansberry wrote:

Also, I can place blocks by pressing "2nd" and "Alpha" at the same time, and switch what block I'm holding by pressing "MATH" while holding down the left or right arrow keys. So there you go.

Yeah, that is the broken old way to build. Before I break it, you could hold MATH and scroll through the different blocks with left and right until you release the MATH key, but now, it only detects the arrow keys at the moment you press MATH, not when you keep holding it.

LincolnB wrote:
I ignored this for a while because I thought it was going nowhere, but I have to say, this is really impressive. 6MHz? I'm surprised you get decent fourscale at all. Nice job!

Thanks Smile
And yes, I always try to work with 6MHz for two reasons:
- Most of my friends have regular 83+
- 15MHz is less challenging Wink
This IS rather offtopic, so excuse me Hayleia, but one thing I do admire about those who do as much as humanly possible to optimize and build for 6MHz clock speeds, is that they take the time to cut down on their code and create compatibility with as many platforms as possible. Applying it back to the topic at hand, awesome job with that.
Oh yeah, excellent greyscale, Hayleia!
CalebHansberry wrote:
Oh yeah, excellent greyscale, Hayleia!

Ashbad wrote:
This IS rather offtopic, so excuse me Hayleia, but one thing I do admire about those who do as much as humanly possible to optimize and build for 6MHz clock speeds, is that they take the time to cut down on their code and create compatibility with as many platforms as possible. Applying it back to the topic at hand, awesome job with that.

Thanks both of you Smile

Also, I made an update a while ago but forgot to post it here for some reason.
If you can go on Omnimaga, grab the latest update here. Otherwise, wait for the upload to be approved on Cemetech (after I actually upload it when I get back on the right PC). What it adds:
-Chickens were broken on previous versions, they are back now. Run the ChickFix program if you had a savegame where chickens were missing to set 3 chickens on the left of the map. Creating a new game also sets them correctly. However, I don't know if a map with a height of 32 is enough to see all the chickens, I always test the game on a 64x64 map. So those with short memory using the option with a map of a height of 32, could you tell me if all the chickens can be seen ?
-The ON key I mentionned on the first post now works and displays the map. You are the blinking pixel among the non blinking pixels. It is hard to notice, I may improve that in future versions. Another thing you can do is dig a square around you before pressing ON so you can notice yourself better.
-The MATH key is fixed.
-There is a new appvar, called TCdata2, don't foget to transfer it too.

Also, I didn't mention it in the first post but the noise generation was made by BuilderBoy, not me so most credits go to him for the map generation program (hence why I am not even mentionned in that program, I thought he made the hardest work).

Enjoy Smile

edit It got approved on Cemetech, you can get it here.
I did not know you were the author of tiny craft, that's cool I have that game and play it every now and again; keep it up, it's a great game
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
I did not know you were the author of tiny craft, that's cool I have that game and play it every now and again; keep it up, it's a great game
Thanks for the encouragement. However, I have very little time to work on this so don't expect frequent updates until I get holidays. And I don't even know when I'll get holidays since I may have oral exams during the summer.
Well if you do, I think the only thing that could be improved are the graphics(it is really hard to tell what each block is when you move) other than that I'd have to say this is one of my favourite games for the ti-84, and probably the best minecraft clone out there; keep it up:)
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
Well if you do, I think the only thing that could be improved are the graphics(it is really hard to tell what each block is when you move) other than that I'd have to say this is one of my favourite games for the ti-84, and probably the best minecraft clone out there; keep it up:)
Well that is not the only thing, I also need to implement enemies. That should not be too hard since chickens work, but I'd like to have generic code and for that, I first need to understand again what I coded (which should not be too hard but I need to understand the data structure I used, and I changed it many times so I never really commented it).

And I can't really do anything about the graphics, it is a tilemapper with 4 levels of grey running at 6MHz (and not 15) after all.
This looks really nice for 6MHz, nice job!
I haven't gotten around to downloading and trying it out but I will.
Your games are always the best, especially Pokemon Topaze.
I'll try to check this out by the end of the week. Good job.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours