With summer break now upon us, I think it is time to have another contest. Please post ideas in this thread and hopefully we will have a new contest to occupy our minds over the summer.
So based on the success of TI-Planet palindromic prime contest, I think it should have a very specific subject, and as few categories of allowed platforms as possible. I also would prefer a shorter contest, and of course throwing in some calculator prizes would be nice. I'll see what I can figure out on the prize front.
Contest idea: Write a compression routine that can take every single Illusiat 13 maps down to 10 kilobytes, along with a routine to decompress the resulting data back.
Thats pretty specific, but the difficulty of such a program will chase off the weaker or less experienced programmers. perhaps we should choose a subject that other people can actually do.

Edit: grr, had to waste my 300th post on this
LuxenD wrote:
Edit: grr, had to waste my 300th post on this

That's really upsetting, how will you ever survive it
may I make a note that omnimaga normally has the summer contest and cemetech the fall one? or we we mixing it up this year Kerm Razz
Actually I think it changes every year, but I could be wrong. In 2010 both were during summer and I think there were certain rules allowing entries to be released at a certain date to accomodate one contest that ended earlier or later and stuff like that. But in 2011 and 2012 the contests here were during late Fall-early Winter.

Normally Omnimaga starts in late May (by then, TI-Concours is usually over), but this year there have been no sign of life about a contest there.
We have outs kinda hush hush ATM we will start talking about it soon (read asking for donations for prizes >.> <.<) but regardless it is in the works. I will pm Kerm about everything tho soon. Have to collaborate we are a community after all.
Because of prize stuff, we might have to make ours a summer contest. I have a proposal, though, for people to consider: z80 and TI-Nspire only, physics-based, but something very specific. For example, make a program that simulates collisions that could be used in a physics class. Where you went with it could be up to you: entering object velocities and locations and running the simulation, then reading the resulting velocities and positions at time t, turning it into an educational game of some kind, and so on. I was initially thinking of something super-restrictive like the palprimes contest, which might be more technically challenging, but it might also not yield as fun/useful/impressive resulting programs to be released to the world at large at the end of the contest. Thoughts? I'm strongly in favor of a math or science-based theme, and something more rather than less specific.
Solar system simulation (planets + sun). All programs could be provided with the same orbital elements as input data, and have to crunch on that for a specified period of time. Scoring criterion can be speed, accuracy (as compared against something like VSOP87), UI/usability, and bonus (judge's discretion for technical elegance, or going above and beyond the call of duty in some other regard).

Prizes for BASIC and assembly, all to be graded on a standard 84+SE.
I've got an idea; maybe who could create a 3-D block building game for a specific calculator, as I don't see any games like that and think that would be a very challenging contest. Or if 3D would be to hard maybe it should be for a 2D block building game for a specific calc, as I think we could use a good block building game(I am not suggesting this so I can enter, I just want to see a good clone of minecraft for a calc lol(my game would not win anyway)) this is just a thought.
ooh, i extremely like elfprince's idea of a solar system simulator. however, just orbital data sounds a bit weak, perhaps you could also put a page of data per object and other tweaks to make it more interesting.
elfprince13 wrote:
Solar system simulation (planets + sun). All programs could be provided with the same orbital elements as input data, and have to crunch on that for a specified period of time. Scoring criterion can be speed, accuracy (as compared against something like VSOP87), UI/usability, and bonus (judge's discretion for technical elegance, or going above and beyond the call of duty in some other regard).

Prizes for BASIC and assembly, all to be graded on a standard 84+SE.

You could incorperate Info about each planet, and be able to see them in orbit in action, and if it wasn't point commands for the planets, you could shade them acording to thier position to the sun.
Somthing else to think about would be the moons orbiting other planets.
You might also be able to toggle the orbit path on and off.

Just ideas If this subject is decided
16aroth6 wrote:

Somthing else to think about would be the moons orbiting other planets.

It certainly makes life more interesting, but I'm not sure we want everyone to have to deal with that. as a contest requiremen.

LuxenD wrote:
ooh, i extremely like elfprince's idea of a solar system simulator.

Thanks! Smile

LuxenD wrote:
however, just orbital data sounds a bit weak, perhaps you could also put a page of data per object and other tweaks to make it more interesting.

16aroth6 wrote:

You might also be able to toggle the orbit path on and off.

These are all things that could be graded as bonus or usability.
If we did do this, would Prizm programming be involved too(not just z80)?
Spenceboy98 wrote:

I agree with this entirely, we need to promote programming for the Prizm. It can be lua or C either way, but I think limiting it to just z80 would be sad.
I whole heartedly agree that we need to focus on the educational side of things over games. I have at least 2 educational related items that I'd like to work on, myself.
zeldaking wrote:
I agree with this entirely, we need to promote programming for the Prizm. It can be lua or C either way, but I think limiting it to just z80 would be sad.

Maybe it would be an idea to have multiple sections, mainly because physics simulators seem to be a pretty heavy pieces of software, so Z80 calculators would be at a huge disadvantage there (mainly the higher resolution ones like the 84+CSE).
I do like the idea that tifreak brought up: educational games.
It would be best for those of us who have strict teachers. Educational games would be the best!
Also, how about this: Improvements.
Open source programs could be used and improved.
EDIT: oh, well then forget my suggestion.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Due to the circumstances of this contest, we will only accept z80 (TI-8x) entries, in two categories: BASIC and Axe/ASM. If you don't write code for z80 calculators, don't worry, this won't be our last contest.

Odelore: That was the subject of Contest #9, basically.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours