So, should I keep working on my character models? Climbing, falling, swimming to come. Also, there should probably be a "Got Hurt" animation, and maybe a "Landing" animation, for post falling.

Also, for animations, do you have any particular preferred number of frames? So far, I've tried to keep it in powers of 2.
New Version! Download link to come! Here's a screenie:

willrandship wrote:
So, should I keep working on my character models? Climbing, falling, swimming to come. Also, there should probably be a "Got Hurt" animation, and maybe a "Landing" animation, for post falling.

Also, for animations, do you have any particular preferred number of frames? So far, I've tried to keep it in powers of 2.

By all means, keep making character models! I love them! As far as number of frames go, they should be either 1, 2, 4, or 8 frames long - I'll use a set of nybbles to keep track of variable framerates. Additionally, I can't use Mediafire from these school computers, but I was able to use your image that you put in your post to create standing and climbing images.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=743. Yes, I know that the description is the old one, but the file is new.
This looks amazing! Keep up the good work Smile
shkaboinka wrote:
This looks amazing! Keep up the good work Smile

Thanks for the feedback! I've been busy with some other things right now, but I promise to get back to this project and add some new features and optimizations! Right now, the largest time consumer is updating the tile matrix, even with the update flag system added. I'll see what other optimizations I can add, but I know that I need to keep constant-update tiles, such as plants, in mind when I make these optimizations.

EDIT: I have an optimization that won't make me update the entire span of 3 chunks every frame! So, for most frames (as I am doing now), I'll update tiles within 8 tiles of the player's Y position and within 12 tiles of the player's X position, which will allow water and collapsible blocks to reasonably update without much issue. But when I add Day and Night cycles, I will update the entire chunk span when I hit midnight in the game, allowing plants to attempt to grow.

I also have a couple of features on the backburner that I'm thinking of adding later. One of these is my list of mobs, shown below:
- Cow (drops leather)
- Pig (drops meat)
- Sheep (drops wool)
- Bombos (walking bomb that explodes, drops gunpowder)
- Wingleet (flying monster that dives at you, drops feathers)
- Gunguy (shoots a gun at you, drops extra bullets)
- Spider Monkey (climbs up walls, wears a fez*, drops the fez when killed)
- Squid (hostile water mob, drops sushi)
- Pyro (fire monster in the Nether, drops Pyro Powder)
- Blitz (electric monster in the Nether, drops Electrite)
- Pollutant (poison monster in the Nether, drops Poison)
- One or two more Nether monsters
- A boss monster for the End
*Sprite designers, whatever you do, put that fez on that monkey! Smile The fez will not only complete his look, but it will also prove to be a useful item: You can craft one Fez into a sample of string, or use several fezes to make an Uber Fez that you can wear.

Additionally, instead of the four Armor slots, I want the player to have an inventory slot for an Attribute Item, which grants the player some benefit when equipped to that spot. Here's a list of some of those items:
- Pickaxe, Shovel, Axe: When equipped to the Y= through Graph buttons, these grant mining bonuses, but when equipped to the Attribute Item slot, they allow you to climb the surfaces for which the tools grant those bonuses.
- Armor: Depending on what material it is crafted out of, this transfers some or all of your physical damage to itself instead of your heart total.
- Winged Boots: Lets you move through air as you do through water ("swim" upward, lower falling velocity)
- Iron Boots: Lets you move through water as you do through air (jump normally, fall faster)
- Diving Helmet: Transfers suffocation damage to itself
- Uber Fez: Made from Fezes, this probably gives you some cool ability - either Monsters don't notice you until you attack them, or you can climb all surfaces just like the Spider Monkey can.
- And a few more...

Then, I've got one more idea I want to put out: Electrite. Electrite will be my subsitute for Redstone for electrical circuts. The difference between Redstone and Electrite is that although Redstone is capable of more applications, Electrite has the power to electrocute mobs and the player.
- Electrite is found in Electrite Ore, and four ingots of Electrite can make an Electrite Block.
- Electrite Ore and Electrite Blocks are power sources, creating constant power surges.
- Electrite can also be used to create the Lightning Gun, which creates a surge while you hold ALPHA.
- Iron and possibly Water Blocks can conduct surges from Electrite blocks.
- If a mob or a player touches a charged block, they are electrocuted, taking damage until they let go.
- This method is the most effective way to kill Squids and Spider Monkeys, but it causes Bomboses to explode, destroying your circuts in the process.
- Electrite can also be used to create Electrite Wire, which carries surges but is safe to touch, allowing defense systems to be bypassed by the player.

EDIT: I made a few edits above for clarity.
* bump *

New update! Alpha 0.0.6 now allows you to use Mode to access a 24-space Inventory! Items that you mine past the 5 ready-to-use slots at the bottom of the screen will appear in this inventory instead. And just like the real Minecraft, you can use the arrow keys, 2nd, and Alpha to manipulate the items in the inventory, and you can use Y= through GRAPH to swap them with your ready-to-use slots. Additionally, blocks will now drop alternate resources when mined - e.g. Stone drops Cobblestone when mined.

Click here to view the game: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/83plus/asm/games/bf_minecraft.zip.

(And sorry about the lack of screenshot and the old screenshots in the file - I didn't have time to make them).
Great updates! You say that Y= through GRAPH choose which slot to drop inventory items into, but how do you choose which inventory item you're selecting? Of course, I'm sure if I were to take the time to drop this latest beta onto my calculator, it would be obvious to me.
KermMartian wrote:
Great updates! You say that Y= through GRAPH choose which slot to drop inventory items into, but how do you choose which inventory item you're selecting? Of course, I'm sure if I were to take the time to drop this latest beta onto my calculator, it would be obvious to me.

Basically, as in the real Minecraft, your cursor can either be empty or holding an item. When you aren't holding an item, 2nd picks up an entire stack, and Alpha picks up half of it. While you are holding an item, 2nd drops the entire stack, and Alpha drops one item from it. Y= through GRAPH swap the corresponding item in your inventory slot with whatever item you're holding (for instance, pressing Y= would drop the 32 Cobblestone you're holding into Y= and put the 16 Dirt previously stored in Y= into your cursor).
Ah, that makes sense, and thank you for the clarification. Have you tried giving the game to anyone to see how intuitive they find the controls? How's progress going, at any rate?
Thanks for the comments, Kerm. I haven't really given the game to someone else to see how intuitive they find the controls - I just show it to them to show how uber pro I am Smile. But that is a good suggestion, and I should also see if adding a help screen at the beginning would help at all. As for progress, I haven't really made any since the last publish, since I've been tweaking my BASIC game that I wrote a few years ago - a game called DIEFIEND, which is a battle RPG in BASIC that uses Action Commands.
Sounds fun! You should probably share that with us as well, if you don't mind. Smile I also support going back and tweaking "finished" projects, as I am strongly of the opinion that no software or hardware project is ever truly finished (for better or worse).
KermMartian wrote:
Sounds fun! You should probably share that with us as well, if you don't mind. Smile I also support going back and tweaking "finished" projects, as I am strongly of the opinion that no software or hardware project is ever truly finished (for better or worse).

Yeah. Take it to heart Razz
If you are still working on this project I'd like to know, as I am also working on a minecraft like game(Picraft2) and would like to know if I'm allowed to view your code to see how you tilemap for your game(I won't by any means copy the code I would just like to see your way of creating and displaying tilemapps, since this is a game very similar to mine and I do not use tilemap(I won't look at your code w/o permission) thx

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours