Hi,

Thanks to Basic Builder, I've packaged more than 20KB of my math TI-Basic programs into a single 16KB app for TI-83+/84.

But I've noticed a problem by running simultaneously:
- the programs on a TI-82 Stats (= TI-83)
- the programs on a TI-84+
- the app on a TI-84+

On the TI-84+, the app is much slower than the programs...
The app takes a time similar to the TI-82 Stats programs...

Which make me think that:
- TI-Basic programs run at 15Mhz on TI-84+
- Apps run at 6MHz on TI-84+

How can I fix this?

On an old United-TI topic, I found back that there is a flag in the app header which indicates the speed it is meant to be run at.
http://www.cemetech.net/projects/uti/viewtopic.php?t=9183&start=0

But KermM and Brandon wrote yesterday on the chat that the flag is ignored by the OS because of a bug.

Another way mentionned in the same topic is to write 1 to port 20h.

I made a small assembly program to do that:
AsmPrgm
3E01 ld a,1
D320 out (20h),a
C9 ret

I then modified my Basic Builder project and made that assembly program the 1st thing called from the main TI-Basic program.

But once tested on calc, it didn't run faster... Sad

Did I made a mistake? Is the speed automatically reset upon C9?...

Thanks.
The speed is definitely not reset upon a ret. However, it's possible that BASICBuilder is messing around with flags somehow. Does BASICBuilder offer source code for whatever its control routines entail somewhere?
I can see no way to customize BASICBuilder behaviour from its GUI.
I don't know how it does run the packaged TI-Basic programs and sub-programs.

Does my asm code look correct to you?
I would even recommend setting port 20 to 3 for those rare (three) of us with 25-ish MHz-capable calculators, but yes, that code looks correct. I think it's likely that BASICbuilder catches program termination and resets stuff there.
Ok... So maybe I could try calling that program in every subprogram... hoping it won't slow down things too much.

Some calculators work at 25MHz when we write 3? Surprised
Which ones?

What are the calculators models and datestamps?

And by the way, did you allready try this on the TI-84+CSE?
Quote:
Some calculators work at 25MHz when we write 3?
Which ones?

Possibly the overclocked ones ?
Are you using the SourceForgey version of BasicBuilder? I'm pretty sure the assembly sourcecode is in there.
I'm using the version uploaded to ticalc.org:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/321/32127.html
If you want to fiddle with it, I recommend investigating the source code repository here: http://sourceforge.net/p/basicbuilder/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours