There's a topic for dubstep; a metal one is only fitting.  Stemming partially from a short discussion between me and Kerm earlier about metal variants / good artists.  So, here's a topic to talk about it all.

My personal sub-genre rankings in order of most GOAT to Trash-tier and favorite artists of each (yes, it's pleb to rank by subgenre in most cases, but I'm doing it anyways):

- Thrash (Megadeth, Metallica's first three albums, Exodus, Kreator, Realm, Anthrax, a modest dose of Slayer)
- Heavy (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, all the classics)
- Power (Helloween, Sacred Rite)
- Doom (Candlemass, Trouble, Pagan Altar, Black Sabbath)
- Folk (no real favorites)
- Black/Unblack (Venom, Mayhem)
- Industrial
- Symphonic
- Death/Blackened
- Grindcore/Metalcore/anything with the word Core or Grind

Albums I recommend listening to (barely scrapes the top, but we've gotta start somewhere):

Rust in Peace - Megadeth (my personal favorite and possibly best thrash album of all time)
Suiciety - Realm (some really cool progressive thrash)
Master or Puppets - Metallica (for those who want more mainstream 'Tallica)
Ride the Lightning - Metallica (for those who want the best of 'Tallica
Peace Sells - Megadeth (another classic)
Killing is my Business... and business is good! - Megadeth
Is Nothing Sacred - Sacred Rite (great power metal)
Among the Living - Anthrax (Yet another classic)
Reign in Blood - Slayer (a good slayer album, a classic)

A lot of big four stuff above, but they're worth listening to regardless.

With that, metal discussion commence.

(alos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PphrrSqv8iU )

Obligatory Apocalytpica. It may be more rock than Metal, but they certainly has some metal roots.
While I could never get into the really heavy screaming, I do like several Christian alternative metal bands such as Red (who are totally epic), Flyleaf, Nine Lashes and Skillet Smile

Unfortunately, since I'm typing this from my iTouch, I'm unable to post an actual link or video, but here's a plaintext link if you happen to be interested enough to check it out Very Happy

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zj2uZO7xnus
Roguebantha wrote:
While I could never get into the really heavy screaming, I do like several Christian alternative metal bands such as Red (who are totally epic), Flyleaf, Nine Lashes and Skillet Smile

Unfortunately, since I'm typing this from my iTouch, I'm unable to post an actual link or video, but here's a plaintext link if you happen to be interested enough to check it out Very Happy

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zj2uZO7xnus

Yes, indeed, I like Christian metal as well. The only band I am particularly familiar with is Petra, but they sure are EPIC. You should get their album "Jekyll and Hyde"!
Here are the ones I like (I'M sure I forgot some, though):

Electronic/16/32-bit/Amiga/Playstation/OpenMPT:
-Albion (a.k.a DavidXNewton)
-Knowlesy
-Dimuliya

Power metal:
-Sonata Arctica (mostly the older stuff)
-Stratovarius (except their 2005 album)
-Sabaton
-Nightwish
-Rhapsody of Fire (mostly the older stuff)
-Luca Turilli (mostly the older stuff)
-Kamelot (mostly the older stuff)
-Nightwish
-Forgotten Tales
-Gamma Ray (mostly the older stuff)
-Dragon Force (except their last album)
-Edguy
-Pathfinder
-Peter Crowley's Fantasy Dream
-Sentry Ward (Dysfunction from MaxCoderz forums was in charge of mixing/mastering)

Folk metal:
-Ensiferum
-Amon Amarth
-Wintersun (only the 1st album)

Christian:
-Armageddon (1st album)

Thrash:
-Overkill
-Metallica (Except load/reload/St-Anger)

Heavy:
-Iron Maiden (Except X Factor/Virtual XI)
-Manowar (Mostly the stuff after 1986)

Black/Death:
-Dissection (Except the last album)
-Aeternam
Just a few that I'm into:

- Metallica (all albums, except for St. Anger, from which I only ever listen to the first two tracks)
- Pantera
- Faith No More (they only verge on metal sometimes, but I included them anyway)
- Austrian Death Machine (Arnie themed metalcore)
- Swashbuckle (pirate themed deathcore)
- Skid Row (with Sebastian Bach, does that count as glam metal?)
- Thy Art Is Murder (Aussie deathcore)
Awesome stuff! Not into most of what was discussed so far, but that's to be expected as it's mostly not thrash.

On another note, Megadeth's latest album is coming out June 4th. Not sure I like the released single on it, at all, however:

If the rest of the album is like Thirte3n though, it should be decent. Ain't gonna be a RiP, though. And Mustaine is leaning away from Thrash again -- however, the Studio Release gives a hint that this will be the odd song out among heavier, thrashy songs. So really, nobody knows how good it'll be.

Daily dose of Thrash?

Some Aspid:

Some stuff from when Metallica was good:

(of course, ^ this one ^ was written by Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, and it's one of Metallica's finest consequently)

Cool Megadeth stuff:

Some really light Megadeth for those not into their thrash stuff:

Stuff from Slayer's well-known album:

Some cool stuff from Suiciety:

Acapella Metallica (by Van Canto):

Some stuff from Mayhem's first EP (some classic black metal -- it's very different from what I posted above, takes some getting used to; I posted the only thing I could find from them that wasn't obscenely satanic/explicit and therefore unfit for the forums)

Found "Mystical Thieves" by Lightforce (1989) to be decent. Not any of their later stuff though (after changing name to Mortification).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours