*BUMP*
I recently got back on this, and now I have the sprite clipping working nicely. Don't expect lots of progress(I have other projects to work on too), but I'm hoping to get more done.
Here is what I have for the Player Sprite so far:

Please give opinions. Smile

Edit:
Zombie Smile :
Both look great to me, but I recommend that you try them on different backgrounds and make sure that they still stand out properly.
Well, here they are with a blue background similar to the one in the program right now:

Edit:
Screenies:

*BUMP*
For now, this is my background image:

Could someone make another one that is better(more details and stuff)? I'm not good with this sort of stuff. Razz If you do make me one, make sure it is able to loop around and look smooth doing it(you'd get some credit in the about screen).

Edit:
Here are the sprites animated(I tried to get the backgrounds as clear as I could Razz):
Player:

Zombie(dragging one leg behind):
*BUMP*
Here is a better background. Opinions?
looks great, carry on! Smile
You should do parallax scrolling for that background!
Spenceboy98 wrote:
*BUMP*
Here is a better background. Opinions?

It looks nice ideed; the only problem is that the art style is radically different from that of the sprites you posted. Mostly the color choices. I'm way too busy to do edits of any sort, or even give some more C+C, but you could always post at wayofthepixel.net for good advice and/or some ideas for edits, or if you give me until wednesday when I have my last AP test I can take a quick shot at it myself. Very quick suggestions to dent the surface with for now:

- The colors of the sprites indicate a daytime, bright setting, not a nighttime environment. Moonlight is much less bright than the sun, though it still gives off enough light for things to be visible. Hues (the component that distinguishes bluish colors from reddish colors from pure greys) are very diminished, so use less saturation in your colors.

- The proportions look cartoony and not scary, largely because they're just so unrealistic. Cartoony is fine, but it's best when you start with realism and exaggerate features as needed. A good background in anatomy would be helpful, but using some reference pictures for now would be fine.

- Might be helpful: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

- Color Theory: http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory

- The first book to read about learning to draw. Doesn't teach stuff like how do draw a human arm from all angles or anything like that (that would require some studying on your part), but it teaches the basics, as in, how to see, since basic drawing is basically seeing and transliterating that to paper in so many words. http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201 You could try looking for it in a local library, but it's an extremely popular book so you might get put on a waiting list. Drawing is important, since pixel art is just drawing with pixels with certain techniques. Can't draw, can't pixel.

Anyways, this is a good improvement over the originals, so keep at it, you'll improve even more rapidly if you draw often on the side. Good luck with the art and the game itself! Smile Anybody can learn to draw well.
Well, here is a more anatomically correct sprite(note: this is just a test):

Took me a little while to get the body to be the right size. Opinions?
*BUMP*
I prefer my sprites for now. I lowered the saturation a bunch.

I like it. Smile
This is really amazing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours