Slightly less than one year ago, I started a topic about your Summer 2012 goals and projects. Looking back at it now, I see that I actually got a lot of it done, including finishing Graph3DP, publishing my first book, and publishing and presenting an academic paper in South Korea at APSys 2012. Other people talked about their programming, relaxing, working, and gaming goals, and to my knowledge, quite a few of those goals were met as well. Another summer is nearly upon us (how did that happen‽), and that means another opportunity to set down some goals for the summer.

In the past, I've found setting some specific (and realistic) goals are the best way to make sure that you feel like you had a productive summer, without making it too much of a drag. Of course, some of us are working jobs or internships and won't have the leisure for too much personal coding, engineering, and hacking, but you can still think of a fun side-project to work on. I know that almost all of us have unfinished projects or at least unrealized ideas, a topic I discussed at length in [url=http://www.cemetech.net/news.php?id=591]my most recent editorial. So what will it be? What programming, hacking, gaming, working, academic, and relaxing pursuits will you be attempting this summer? What do you want to have complete by the time September rolls around?

For me, it's the following:
Non-Programming/Hacking:
:: Successfully complete a 12-week summer internship at VMWare in Palo Alto (anyone else going to be around the area?)
:: Get the doctors to figure out why I'm exhausted and unfocused all the time and fix it.
:: Get back to walking more, explore Palo Alto, make my eyes happier
:: See "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" published and in stores

Programming/Hacking:
:: Complete some sort of Tetris game for the TI-84+CSE
:: Complete some sort of 3D grapher in ASM for the TI-84+CSE, pending SDK
:: Get SourceCoder 3 to a beta, including syntax highlighting and autocompletion.
:: Complete at least a simple Celtic 2 for the TI-84+CSE, and at best a fledgling DCS.
My one project is to get my recently bought car from stock to aftermarket-looking as much as possible; not a huge performance freak, just style. It already handles/performs better than my late Saab, so that's a plus. I'm looking at new wheels, new grill, LED headlight and taillight units. That's all I have on my agenda this summer outside of work.

As far as goals go, get out more. I have a San Francisco in the planning stage right now and a camping trip down in Monterey as well.

KermMartian wrote:
For me, it's the following:
Non-Programming/Hacking:
:: Successfully complete a 12-week summer internship at VMWare in Palo Alto (anyone else going to be around the area?)

Obligatory DUH. I'm picking you up from the airport Smile
not much here. i want to finish the TMFlower before summer vacation starts, and the summer will be spent jotting down ideas and getting inspiration for the next school year.

i also want to get a bit of gardening done; the yard is a mess.

EDIT:
ooh, i also need to get Ralph finished. i switched to making him a BEAM bot instead of the fancy mess i cant afford, but he is high priority to me.
Assuming I am not too busy due to work or going out:

-Zelda CSE (already started, but still have a lot of planning to do, such as how bosses will be implemented and finalizing the menu layout)
-Updating readmes for all my past calculator games (mostly broken site links and invalid support addresses)
-Finish the Ancient Kingdom of Omnimaga music album.
Even though it's winter in Australia... Razz

- Finish Alien Breed 5 v1.1.0, and start the planning & groundwork for v2
- Get back onto Thunderbirds v2
- Get my hands on a TI-84+CSE and start experimenting!

Also..
Quote:
-Zelda CSE (already started, but still have a lot of planning to do, such as how bosses will be implemented and finalizing the menu layout)
This sounds exciting
Me:
-Finish a working version of Paint
-Work on other programs
I guess mine are:
• Finish I:VP, or at least get a playable version finished
• Start working on one of my next ideas, which are somewhat diffuse at the moment
• Hopefully work on getting a car
• Paddle the Ocoee River in Tennessee
• Get more than six hours of sleep every night
Kerm: - if you suffer from lack of focus then I dare not think how bad I can be..
for sad eyes see this..http://www.avoidglasses.com/

Me ? well
Get a project uploaded and dive into ASM
Polish up my somewhat poor music reading skills and get back into learning tuned percussion...

However here on the rock we are still recovering from the worst snows in many years. Summer still seems a way off yet.
me:
finish c-compiler
finish fsb (a new project)
and relaxe
Me:

- Get further with secret game idea that I've been working with for some time now
- Be a better Guitarist and Bassist
- Lots of drawing practice and studying
- 5:30 Mile time, 8% Body fat, bench at least 200lbs

Because summer is long enough to have more than just programming projects!
My goals for this summer are pretty small
Help Kerm get anything I can help him with done. Most notably dcs 7.2 beta 3+
Work on cadan
Start college.
And if I have time start working on a new project of my own. (most likely not)

and LLVM. 'nuff said.
Continue on the future TI-68k Basic IDE, accel68k.
Me, well...
1. Learn ASM
2. Make a better factorer
3. Make CAS for the TI-84
4. Study for Geometry Honors next year (even though I will be in 8th grade)
5. RELAX!
6. Find a good book.
All of these are in chronological order.
Mine are:
1. Learn z80 Asm
(That's it for Programming)

Others:
Get CPR Pro Certification
Get EMT Advanced Certification
Take a Trip
Get a job somewhere
Buy a few games
Build a water rocket with multiple stages
buy a Nspire CX CAS and a Ti89.
I hope to finish a functional wooden TI-84+SE, learn Axe, finish SISB, Piratewinds, and MineCrft, get a drivers permit, and buy a Dell Axim x50.
How's everyone doing with their summer goals? Did anyone not post their goals that now wants to do so? Here are my refined goals, a month and a half after my original post:

Non-Programming/Hacking:
:: Present and defend my PhD research at Usenix ATC 2013
:: Get the doctors to figure out why I'm exhausted and unfocused all the time and fix it.
:: Get back to walking more, explore Palo Alto, make my eyes happier
:: See "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" published and in stores

Programming/Hacking:
:: Complete some sort of Tetris game for the TI-84+CSE
:: Complete some sort of 3D grapher in ASM for the TI-84+CSE, pending SDK
:: Get SourceCoder 3 to a beta, including syntax highlighting and autocompletion.
:: Complete at least a simple Celtic 2 for the TI-84+CSE, and at best a fledgling DCS.
:: Complete and publish Sandpaper Done
:: Complete and publish gCnClient 2.0 Done
:: Complete and publish Doors CS 7.2
:: Launch, end, and grade Contest #10, and send out prizes
well, mine revised are:
1) Make CAS
2) Learn more about Axe
3) Win contest #10
non-programming
1) Have fun in Saugatuck, MI
2) enjoy summer in Puerto Rico
3) get a new bike

Reason I dropped asm is because I think Axe is a much better language.
mine:

programming:
Blow people away with my Contest #10 entry
Complete VVVVVV
non-programming:
What? There's a life outside of programming?
pimathbrainiac wrote:

non-programming:
What? There's a life outside of programming?

I just had to 0x5 that one Very Happy
Well my stuff is pretty boring;
I'm finally getting around buying a nice laptop for programming purposes, my sister picked up an Apple G6 for $80 which made me jealous.
Finish some unfinished projects, which alsways seem to evade my attention span as well as finish new ones.
Hopefully have a CSE in the near future, I want to get to programming on that.
Squander my summer away, like usual ;p

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours