I just want to point out that last week and this week, we ran HCWP on Google Hangouts, and it worked really well. We got a ton of coding work and technical discussion done tonight, which happens to mark our 186th HCWP by my calculations. Good for us!
I don't like Google Hangouts because they don't work properly in Opera and URL changes every week.
DJ_O wrote:
I don't like Google Hangouts because they don't work properly in Opera and URL changes every week.
Actually, geekboy believes that the way we had the Hangout set up this week, we'll be able to use the same Hangout URL every week. That remains to be tested, though.
DJ_O wrote:

I could also argue the opposite that tinychat doesn't work well for linux (no screencasting) and the flash interface is buggy. It will be hard to keep everyone happy.
For the uninitiated, how do we join in on this?
ti83head wrote:
For the uninitiated, how do we join in on this?
Every Wednesday at 8pm Eastern Time, we get together to chat about programming and life. Joining used to just involve going to http://www.tinychat.com/havecalc , but now it's a Google+ Hangout link that isn't set yet.
when it is set, throw it to us here. now, if only i could get a time to stay at gpa's long enough...

what made you decide to switch services?
LuxenD wrote:
when it is set, throw it to us here. now, if only i could get a time to stay at gpa's long enough...

what made you decide to switch services?
Perennial frustration with TinyChat's unreliability, mostly. Many have been the HCWP session where people constantly bounce in and out or can't get audio or video working because of TinyChat glitches.
Is this available to watch?
Where, and when (dates)?
Sadly they have not been recorded. Tho they can be if we start using Google hangout that's up to the rest of them.

It is every wesnday at 8pm gmt-5 . It starts earlier some weeks and later some weeks just hang out on sax/irc and you will see when it starts up Very Happy
I'm Central time, so thats what? 6PM?
7pm if i remember correctly ^^
Google Hangouts is pretty cool. I can broadcast tidbits like screencasts of me working on ticalc.org and calc projects and stuff. Smile
Plus it is the only way I can screencast while on Linux! (Last screencasting software that worked was discontinued)
Travis wrote:
Google Hangouts is pretty cool. I can broadcast tidbits like screencasts of me working on ticalc.org and calc projects and stuff. Smile
That sounds very interesting, especially the working-on-ticalc.org part. I've always wanted to know more about what goes on behind-the-scenes there. Smile I think I also discovered that we're going on 200 HCWP sessions, which definitely deserves newsing.
Mind explaining what you mean by "broadcasting tidbits of screencasts"?

we've done 200 HCWPs? oh holy cow Shock
wow really Kerm 0.o thats alot of bandwidth!
LuxenD wrote:
Mind explaining what you mean by "broadcasting tidbits of screencasts"?

we've done 200 HCWPs? oh holy cow Shock

Instead of a webcam, some people broadcast images of their computer screens or windows. That's what I can do with Hangouts's feature, since I don't have a webcam.
If I every have an unpopulated room, I would use a webcam + mic, but... that never happens
AHelper wrote:
If I ever have an unpopulated room, I would use a webcam + mic, but... that never happens

Oh hey, I now have an unpopulated room now! Expect me to actually be on-time to a HCWP next week.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 19 of 20
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours