What should I do with Tetric B (BASIC) and Tetric A (ASM)?
Finish B, then write A as well.
 12%  [ 1 ]
Finish B, but don't bother with A.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Suspend work on B and write A instead.
 37%  [ 3 ]
Don't bother with B or A; work on other projects.
 25%  [ 2 ]
Something else (I'll tell you below in the posts)
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Tetrizm was a fast, fun, and colorful Tetris game for the Casio Prizm, which I built with the invaluable feedback and testing of my fellow Cemetechians. Considering how well it was received, and how its 3520 downloads in just over one year have made it the most popular program in the Cemetech archives, I naturally wanted to port it to the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. I hemmed and hawed between a BASIC and an ASM port, and eventually decided to start with the BASIC version, being marginally faster and easier to write.

I have gotten the code to the point where you can move, rotate, and drop pieces. However, it just feels too clunky and too slow to really be a fun game, and I worry I'd just be getting downloads on the strength of the name alone. For the sake of an informed public (and your own experimentation, I have released this code, and I urge you to try it out and then vote in the attached poll. You use the arrow keys to move and rotate the piece, [ALPHA] to drop, and [down] to accelerate the piece downward at maximum speed. Please let me know if you think it's worthwhile for me to continue working on this project, or if I should save myself the effort and instead spend the time I would have directed toward it working on Tetric A, the ASM version.

Thanks in advance!

suspend both. Finish a started project on your list and replace it with B. Then finish another project on your list and replace it with a.
Obviously, there's going to be an asm port, and I think I'd rather see it Cemetech'ed before anyone else gets to programming it and getting it released Wink

I'll try out the code for the BASIC version in a little bit.
maybe we should let that graphics library be made first, so this isnt so clunky. just a temporary shelve is neccesary.
Why not do it sanely with colored homescreen text, requiring a 90 degree screen tilt? Makes more sense, the homescreen is larger and the tetris pieces in your current version are too tiny for such a large resolution anyways. I would think that would make it faster.

Plus, TI-BASIC is going to have graphical limitations anyways. People would be fine, I'm sure, if you went homescreen and had a faster engine.
I voted for switch to assembly, but drop both and do something else also seemed like a good call.
Ashbad wrote:
Why not do it sanely with colored homescreen text, requiring a 90 degree screen tilt? Makes more sense, the homescreen is larger and the tetris pieces in your current version are too tiny for such a large resolution anyways. I would think that would make it faster.

Plus, TI-BASIC is going to have graphical limitations anyways. People would be fine, I'm sure, if you went homescreen and had a faster engine.
I really wish I could; then I could just port my old homescreen Tetris game. Sadly, you can't color text with TI-BASIC on the TI-84+CSE. I'm not sure if there would be any value to simply reconfiguring that existing game for the bigger screen and probably tossing in a decade of optimizations.
I voted for "Don't bother with B or A; work on other projects", not because I don't like this project but because I don't really see the point to have games on my calc if I have a proper shell to run them Wink
Of course, there is still the possibility to unarchive programs and use Asm(), but I am so used to homerun hooks and clearing RAM every ten minutes on my 84+SE that I can no longer bear not having a shell on my 84+CSE.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours