Everything there looks fine, as far as I can tell. Hopefully the problem is with the resizes.
elfprince13 wrote:
Everything there looks fine, as far as I can tell. Hopefully the problem is with the resizes.
Seems so. We're getting there; now the problem appears to just be scaling. From the top-down view, you can see that the rotation and translation seems to be working out fine.

Invasion of the robot starfish?
I think the building looks better that way. INABIAF
*bump* By stripping down the transformations I believe I've come up with at least a possible theoretical reason this oddity is happening. If I apply _any_ transformation to a single one of the 8 pieces that make up the spire, the triangles that make up the mesh get wackily skewed. I believe I need to apply the transformation to the collection of triangles as a whole, not individually to each triangle in the mesh. Do you know the mathematical way to do that, given the mesh and the transformation? I assume it's something like find center, apply rotations and scaling relative to that center, then translate everything?
All of those triangles should be stored so that the appropriate center is already centered.
elfprince13 wrote:
All of those triangles should be stored so that the appropriate center is already centered.
You are, of course, correct. The silly old numpy matrix insanity was reasserting itself. Check out this bad boy:

Looks like the rendering engine is having some trouble in the first screenshot? What's the cause of the strange clipping?

Otherwise....awesome! Smile
It looks like the building is placed a few layers above bedrock and the grass only appears infront of the building because of the angle at which Kerm took the photo. You may notice the box the building is in is only as wide as it needs to be (to each corner of the building) from the second photo.

Great job, guys. Can't wait to start seeing - and navigating - a scale model of something soon Very Happy
You probably already know this, but I'll put it here for reference:

The height:width ratio of a 1x1 lego brick is precisely 6:5.

When building to scale, a 1x1 brick is equal to 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.6 meters.
comicIDIOT wrote:
It looks like the building is placed a few layers above bedrock and the grass only appears infront of the building because of the angle at which Kerm took the photo. You may notice the box the building is in is only as wide as it needs to be (to each corner of the building) from the second photo.
That's exactly what the issue is. I sank it 30 meters below the ground to make it fit under the sky. I haven't yet experimented with breaking the game's 256-meter sky limit, although I'm hopeful that it will be doable.

This evening I also worked on some optimizations that speed things up by about a factor of 8, checked that the ray-casting is working to only fill a single voxel, and resolved a few corner-case inaccuracies. I also made it fill in glass where there are translucent voxels, which makes the American Museum of Natural History's Rose Space Center look awesome.

Quote:
Great job, guys. Can't wait to start seeing - and navigating - a scale model of something soon Very Happy
Thanks, comic! Now that the voxelizer is acting pretty reliably, I'm going to start on the terrain generator.
256 meter sky limit sounds like you're going to have a rough time with other aspects of NYC.

I also have a suspicion that at some point you should be able to upgrade numpy to a version that supports advanced indexing and get better performance by vectorizing a number of assignments (it even looks like newer versions than are offiically supported by Ubuntu are also out on a few PPAs).
elfprince13 wrote:
256 meter sky limit sounds like you're going to have a rough time with other aspects of NYC.
Build NYC sideways?
elfprince13 wrote:
The file format supports arbitrarily-tall maps, up to 65536 meters, but I think 1024 meters should be enough for NYC. The tallest building will be the Freedom Tower, at 1776 feet or 541 meters, plus I need some space for bedrock, rock, water, grass, all that good stuff. I just need to start investigating whether the pcmylevel code and the viewer support those larger map heights.

Quote:
I also have a suspicion that at some point you should be able to upgrade numpy to a version that supports advanced indexing and get better performance by vectorizing a number of assignments (it even looks like newer versions than are offiically supported by Ubuntu are also out on a few PPAs).
Probably is a good idea indeed. I might want you to take a pass over my code for things that can be vectorized and optimized as well, if you have a few minutes at some point. I'm afraid I'm quite rusty from my days of vectorizing Matlab programs. Sad
Can you show us the Chrysler building next?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince: New York Life Building, but potato potato. Wink I suppose all skyscrapers look the same to non-NYers.

Hey, hey. 's not as if NYC is the only place with skyscrapers. Anyway, I'm mainly Chicagoan, and I recognized the building :/

In any case, this looks really interesting, to say the least.
This is coming along quite nicely, guys. I'm glad you keep posting screenshots as it goes along--it's fun to see them!
Do you have a copy of the Collada file for KermCave? You should see what happens if you voxelize that Wink
merthsoft wrote:
This is coming along quite nicely, guys. I'm glad you keep posting screenshots as it goes along--it's fun to see them!
Thanks, Merthsoft! I/we shall do my/our best. I like coding projects like this that have such immediately-appreciable visual results.

Elfprince13: That would be fun Smile I don't think I have it, though. I think you said you archived it in Collada format?

Turiq: Thanks!
DShiznit: I'm working on it, but I need to break the 256-block height limit first.
Yeah, I'll see about packaging it up for you Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours