I have made my first 84+ Color Silver Edition program, Snake! Here's a screen shot:

And here's the download link:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=877

Let me know what you think!
I played it, it plays really nice.

But I can only get a score of 5, after getting like 10 apples. :< And when I died, it subtracted 1. Such sadness.
Thanks! That should be fixed now!
Score of 18! Do I get a prize?
Wow, great job! This made significant strides since you first started coding it in the back of Margo's TI-84+CSE seminar at T^3 2013. Laughing I think the poison berry feature is a clever one, and makes the program more challenging and fun. May I ask what made you choose that over the shrinking walls idea we tossed around? Was it too challenging to figure out how to move the snake's body as the walls shrank?
This just seemed easier to implement Smile And I liked the idea of it being randomly dropped instead of predictable.
merthsoft wrote:
This just seemed easier to implement Smile And I liked the idea of it being randomly dropped instead of predictable.
That seems reasonable to me. At any rate, the results certainly speak for the decision-making progress. Smile So what's going to be on your plate next?
Uh, I hate to say it, but you guys are making us jealous with all your CSE programming... XD When do I get one?
CalebHansberry wrote:
Uh, I hate to say it, but you guys are making us jealous with all your CSE programming... XD When do I get one?
Whenever you buy one! They're available from distributors now; that's how DrDnar, calc84, BrandonW, Merthsoft, tifreak8x, and others all got their calculators.
Looks very cool. Smile How fast does it run during game time and how long does it take to render the play field at first?

And yeah I bought a TI-84+CSE 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately had shipping issues that forced me to return it for either a refund or getting shipped by a different postal service. Shipping was supposed to be $24 but finally ended up being $91 due to hidden charges and on top of that I would have been forced to shell an extra $12 in city bus transit just to go pick up the item in the very middle of nowhere. On top of that, their headquarters are closed on evenings and weekends.
DJ_O wrote:
Looks very cool. Smile How fast does it run during game time and how long does it take to render the play field at first?
It runs quite fast during gameplay, and the play field renders in well under a second.

Quote:
And yeah I bought a TI-84+CSE 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately had shipping issues that forced me to return it for either a refund or getting shipped by a different postal service.
Ugh, that's horrendous. So are you going to wait until it's available in retail stores to buy it?
I am unsure yet. I might either have to get a refund on the calc itself or get it shipped back through a different shipping company if that's possible. If I can't get it or get a refund then I'll most likely wait until it's available for $179.99 in local stores. Even if we add the 15.03% sales taxes I would still end up paying far less than I would right now with UPS shipping extra bogus charges. However the issue is that local stores can take between 6 and 24 months before getting new calcs in stock. For example, the TI-84+ arrived in local stores around 2006 and the TI-Nspire Clickpad 2008. The PRIZM arrived 8 months later and the CX 6.
Works well Merthsoft!

(In other news my 84C arrived Very Happy!)
By the way, the play field rendering in 1 second means that it is possible to change the background color (or image) from inside BASIC programs, right? (allowing the black background to appear instantly)
Indeed you can. The BackgroundOn token takes a color parameter to it. You should pop open Snake in TokenIDE and look at how all the new color stuff works. It's a pretty okay implementation, though the lack of a second parameters on TextColor( to set the background is quite frustrating to me.

tr1p1ea wrote:
Works well Merthsoft!

(In other news my 84C arrived Very Happy!)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
By the way, I noticed that someone named Alex submitted an alternate TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition game of Snake to ticalc.org. Has anyone given that one a try for comparison?
I haven't yet, but I assume it's a port of his other snake game which looks sufficiently like a snake game.
It's a fast moving snake until the tail starts disappearing. The snake length grows quite quickly, which makes it very difficult to do anything fairly early on. Otherwise, it's a fairly good working game. I just like Shaun's twist on it a bit more. His sudoku game is fairly nice. Jonimus needs to make a better one Very Happy
Yeah so far a lot of his games were just ports of his older monochrome games. I am not sure if colors were added or if they were just home screen games adapted to the new screen resolution.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours