KermMartian wrote:
I see a place where DS and IS could be used, too. Smile

IS and DS is tricky though, using in certain situations will cause wierd and random bugs... Neutral
Yeah, mine could too.
Here's my code, Im testing your's now

BASIC Code wrote:
:"? 8 8 8 8 ?? 7 8 8 ?? 8 8 ?? 8 ?? 8 ?? 8 ?? ?? 8 ?? ?? ?? oo ?? ?? ?[Box][Box]? ?? ??----------------------------------------------------??Str1
:ClrHome
:0?I
:24?K
:While K?45
:I+(K=26 and I?38?I
:If K=24 or K=26
:Output(1,1,sub(Str1,1+I,16)+sub(Str1,55+I,16)+sub(Str1,109+I,16)+sub(Str1,163+I,16)+sub(Str1,217+I,16)+sub(Str1,271+I,16)+sub(Str1,325+I,16)+sub(Str1,379+I,16
:getKey?K
:End
:DelVar Str1
:Output(1,
Generated by SourceCoder, © 2005 Cemetech

EDIT:
===
your's runs about the same speed as mine, but then after 8 screens I get an Err:Invalid Dim

Code:
:"
:For(A,1,15
:Ans+" Str2
:While 1
:For(A,1,8
:Output(A,2,sub(Str2,15A-14,15
:"
:For(A,1,8
:Ans+sub(Str2,15A-13,14)+sub(" O",1+not(randInt(0,3)),1
:sub(Ans,2,length(Ans)-1Str2

Any suggested optimizations? It runs too slowly for my liking. Sad
Edit: Sourcecoder didn't parse the :End on the last line. I had to add it manually.
wow sourcecoder screwed mine up....
ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik ik

:'''(
If you look at my code, the string is stored in the format that it is displayed in. You guys have your strings format in a more human-readable format - the first 8 characters are the first column, the next 8 the 2nd, and so on. The problem with that is that it will take much longer to render a frame, because you must use a For loop (or brute force) to properly separate the string into columns and then display them. In contrast, my "engine" keeps the string stored in the format it will be displayed in. That way, all I need is one output call to display the entire thing instantaneously. The downside to this is that there is more lag time between frames because I must do more chopping up of the string to get the next row in.

In my opinion, this is better than your approach because 1)there is no visual lag, 2)it is slightly faster overall because there are fewer total substr operations, and the ones I do have are much simpler, 3)it is just as easy to enter the next column because it accepts a human-readable format, and 4)mine will not crash unless you enter a string that is less than 8 characters for the next column, as opposed to yours, which will crash (though I don't know why).

I could speed mine up a bit by getting rid of the For loop that inserts the next column and uses brute force instead. This probably makes sense since the reason I used a For loop was to make it adaptable to the graphscreen, though now that I think about it, it would be far, far too slow on the graphscreen and not worth attempting.
Yeah, forget trying to do this on the graphscreen. That's one place where I would recommend an ASM lib.
I like my format better because I can still use on output command, and it seems faster....btw I got a guy added now so it can run around
K, are you gonna release it at ticalc.org?
yeah, I will, but Im gonna make a good game to go with it first.
Sounds good. You are gonna release it as a kit though, right?
yeah Im going to. We need to spark more development in the advanced Basic community
Definitely. It's getting pretty depressing...
Guess the Number version 0.001 beta.....

Teh Best Quadratic Solver.....

I know what you mean
"Sanke 2 Cheat Edition"
elfprince13 wrote:
yeah Im going to. We need to spark more development in the advanced Basic community

That's what B1337 is for. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to move the topic there.
ah, but when was the last time someone joined? we need to get more n00bs interested in furthering their skills beyond

Code:
Disp "Hello World"
Prompt Str1
Disp "Thats cool good bye"
AGH! Lowercase!! diediedie /me defenestrates lowercase.
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

That's what B1337 is for. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to move the topic there.

If you do that, can you give me membership? I would like to continue to post in this topic.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours