Me and my dad do this all the time. I'll be playing a Star Wars game, and my dad will comment on how I'm playing for the wrong side. I'll then proceed to recite the Tarkin doctrine and my defense of the Empire, and we go into a mock political debate where we each try to make case for why our side is justified in it's actions, and why the other side is evil. I figured this would be fun to try here. What makes this so great is that you can be as bombastic and heated as you wish without any real anger or vitriol, since the premise of the argument is entirely fictional. You can even use debate tactics you normally despise, since it's just for fun. There are no rules, so long as you keep everything in the context of Star Wars, and you can include information from the expanded universe as well as outside information based on something published in the franchise (calculations of the Death's Star's population from a fan site, for example, would be acceptable to make your point, while fan-fiction would not). I'll start with my defense of the Empire and we'll see where it goes from there.

I believe the Empire was justified in it's preemptive strike on Alderaan, a world with known connections to terrorism. This became plainly apparent when said terrorists later destroyed the Death Star, killing billions, all this murder in their perverse quest to overthrow our democratically-elected Emperor.
Did you see the analysts discussing Hoth on Wired a couple weeks ago?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours