gbl08ma, the list of features you haven’t added make it sound like you’ve still got some work to do on it, yet! And it also sounds like you’re familiar with WiiXplorer.
CALCnet on the Prizm sounds like a fantastic idea, but I’m not the one to implement it. We could all poke Kerm until he does it Razz It would actually make for a viable internet browser, with it’s nice color screen and more memory. Plus, from what I hear it may be possible to jury rig a network card so it can work wirelessly. But I’m getting ahead of myself, because gCn doesn’t support Prizms anyway.

I guess I’ll save up for a full version of that emulator.
Is C good for game programming?
Yes, I'm familiar with WiiXplorer. I'm not sure about internet browsing on the Prizm being that viable, since it only has 2MB of RAM (and the biggest contiguous section we can access is 512KB, which is the add-in stack) - most likely, something with server-side translation to a simpler markup, a la Opera Mini, would be better suited. And C is good for game programming IMO.
The only Homebrew for Wiis that hasn’t been written that really needs it (because Opera sucks.) is an actual web browser.

Server sided translation to a simpler markup and gCn client are practically (not literally) interchangeable terms. I don’t think Kerm would be so cruel as to have Gossamer filter out everything down to the small amount of data we get to see on the calculator Wink

The Prizm has some C++ support, no?
Dapianokid, I heard that the emulator was like $200. And yes, C is good for game programming, and the Prizm has some C++ support.
The emulator.. $200..?
I think so.
blue_bear_94 wrote:
Dapianokid, I heard that the emulator was like $200. And yes, C is good for game programming, and the Prizm has some C++ support.
Perhaps, but the 3-month trial is free, if you just want to play around with it before you get your actual Prizm.
But I'm afraid of testing add-ons on my actual calc, lest it be bricked.
blue_bear_94 wrote:
But I'm afraid of testing add-ons on my actual calc, lest it be bricked.

I don't think its easy at all to brick a calc with software. SimonLothar said that the only way you could brick it with software is by messing around with undocumented syscalls. Wink
flyingfisch is right. It takes some actual effort and work to brick any device, usually, and the software has to deliberately be written to destroy it. Most of the time it abuses the hardware or destroys the boot process.

I can use the Prizm emulator without a ROM? Sweetmness Smile

I'm learning C as we speak, and using GlassOS to run a "Hello world" on my calc to see if I am actually understanding any of it. Can I run (properly formatted and modified) C programs on my ti84+SE with TIOS?

EDIT:

The emulator is awfully hard to get used to. It's weird, not having a physical calculator to explore and actually having to read whats on the screen to figure out what to do from wherever.
You can, theoretically, compile C programs with SDCC and then convert the .bin file to an .8xp file. However, you'll have to write library functions yourself.
blue_bear_94 wrote:
You can, theoretically, compile C programs with SDCC and then convert the .bin file to an .8xp file. However, you'll have to write library functions yourself.

Not theoretically, actually. There's a tutorial here somewhere on Cemetech for making DCS programs. No one has actually taken the time to write nearly all of the bcall wrappers that would be needed, however, so that's quite limited in practice. (Essentially, to write libraries, you'd have to either write them yourself in C, or use functions to wrap them up).
So, C is out of the quesiton (mostly) for TIOS operated calcs. I’m having to run Linux on my Wii (because Ubuntu won’t boot for some odd reason) just to send files between a GlassOS operated calculator and the host Wii.

Is there an oncalc C compiler and IDE for Prizms? It would make testing and running programs so much easier.
No, and ideally, you should test programs on the emulator, in case you accidentally do something that would brick your Prizm (which is quite unlikely, but possible).
alright, blue.
z80man had the right ideas as to where to go with software for the Prizm...
Wsc&Fvm was an interesting project, and though it is no longer in development, perhaps it could be ported to PRIZM...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours