Okay. Is there adapters for that?
Edited by Kerm: image changed to link:
http://i.imgur.com/vfOQgwx.jpg

Here's a comparison of the plugs. From left to right: TI's connector from the old unit-to-unit link, a 3.5mm headphone plug, and a 2.5mm connector from an old PDA.

There are adapters available, but it is cheaper to get a TI cable off of eBay than it is to get two adapters and a 3.5mm cable. You may be able to use a unit-to-unit link and a TI-83 Plus from a school, if possible or necessary.
That was a reeeeeaally big pic! But thanks for the help, I think my electronics teacher might have a 2.5 mm cable.
OH MY GIRD!!! Does NOBODY in America have 2.5 mm cables?! I've been looking everywhere and can't find one!
UPDATE!! I borrowed a ti calc-to-calc cable and plugged it into a class calc. I took out a battery from mine and put it back in while holding delete. The install screen came up (jumbled), and on the class calc I selected send OS. After about 5 minutes of a jumbled "Receiving..." screen, the working calc said "Done" and mine turned off. When I turned it back on, it still didn't work!!! I heard there is a reset button near the backup battery, is that true?
No, that's not true. It sounds like your calculator is working fine now, but it has the LCD cable issue that remains unrepaired. I have heard very few reports of the Flash chip going bad that easily.
What now?
do i have to open it now?
ghest1138 wrote:

Yup. But "LCD Ribbon Cable Failure" is such a common topic on Cemetech now that the best tutorial you'll find here will tell you exactly what to do.
Compynerd255 wrote:
ghest1138 wrote:

Yup. But "LCD Ribbon Cable Failure" is such a common topic on Cemetech now that the best tutorial you'll find here will tell you exactly what to do.
Thanks, Compynerd. Smile Yup, as they get older, more and more TI-83+ calculators are failing this way. Do you have any soldering experience? Also, please try to be patient, and don't double-post within 24 hours of yourself.
Don't forget about my methods with conductive ink. It may be less durable than soldering, but it works for people like myself that are horrible at soldering. It can also flow through the PCB's holes or around the edge if necessary.

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196634#196634 for a terrible example, a calc with a burned ribbon cable and a trace ripped out.
sorry for the double post. Unfortunately, my calc was mistaken for garbage and thrown away Sad If I still had it, though, I might be able to have done some soldering, but I think the ink would have been a bit easier, seeing as how close together the contacts are( for a noob, at least). I've seen conductive ink(or maybe it was graphite) used for the whole keypad circuit on a cheap desktop calc. Now my problem is how to get a new calc Sad
ghest1138 wrote:
sorry for the double post. Unfortunately, my calc was mistaken for garbage and thrown away Sad
Oh no, that's terrible!
Quote:
If I still had it, though, I might be able to have done some soldering, but I think the ink would have been a bit easier, seeing as how close together the contacts are( for a noob, at least). I've seen conductive ink(or maybe it was graphite) used for the whole keypad circuit on a cheap desktop calc. Now my problem is how to get a new calc Sad
Well, you can find TI-83+s for extremely cheap on eBay, and broken ones even cheaper. That might be a good place to start; you could also check out thrift stores and pawn shops in your area.
also unfortunately, I have no money as of now. I've been bumming electronics from people at school for quite some time now, though( Almost got a gameboy color for free!) My engineering teacher has about 10 of them, but I seriously doubt he would give one away for free (I certainly wouldn't!)
I just recieved an 83+ from a friend who was upgrading to an 84+.Borrowed a link cable and got DCS 7, Mimas ide, and Grammer!
ghest1138 wrote:
I just recieved an 83+ from a friend who was upgrading to an 84+.Borrowed a link cable and got DCS 7, Mimas ide, and Grammer!
Great! Now you'd better use it to write some awesome programs to share with us. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours