What do you guys think of Windows 8? I hate it. Mad
Why? It's fast and they fixed most of the broken stuff. Just because it uses metro isn't a reason to hate it...
Because Metro feels like two bolted on interfaces
I always felt that Metro would fit in more if it actually acted like the start menu instead of the main interface (i.e. you press the start key and it shows up, then when you're done you go back to desktop).

I also wish they'd included some form of tutorial.
I hate it.
Just sayin.
Here's my review: http://my.opera.com/wikipedian/blog/2012/10/26/windows-8
I'll grant that Metro is a learning curve, and you do have to unlearn and relearn a lot of stuff. The way I've learned to use 8's Start menu is to take advantage of it's "just start typing" feature to activate the Search bar, so I can essentially say "Computer, do x" when I want to run some app or change some setting. And I know that Metro introduces its own window system, but I'd have to say that unless you have a super-large screen resolution, stacked windows are overrated.
techboy6601 wrote:
I always felt that Metro would fit in more if it actually acted like the start menu instead of the main interface (i.e. you press the start key and it shows up, then when you're done you go back to desktop).
It does. Just click the Desktop button (or Win+D) and you're on the regular desktop. You then only need to see the Start screen when you search for a program/file, at which point it acts like a heavily souped-up combination of the start menu and sidebar. I love it. Very Happy

Quote:
I also wish they'd included some form of tutorial.
Agreed - it's reasonably intuitive on a tablet but having seen people fighting the UI on a laptop with a trackpad I can see how that would have been worthwhile. There is a tutorial that runs during installation, but I don't know how many people will see that...

Overall, I mostly love Windows 8 - they've made some really nice changes (including much improved performance, great multi-monitor support, live tiles, ribbon in Explorer, redesigned task manager, synchronised settings via a Live account, search via installed applications) and £25 for the upgrade was a steal. Most of my complaints with it were introduced in 7 (especially the changes to the taskbar, bugs introduced into Explorer and culling of features in Windows Media Player) - I only have a couple of Windows 8-specific gripes. The Start screen shares the display as any Modern UI application so you can't drag a full-screen Modern UI application onto a secondary monitor (or edge of a monitor) and leave it there permanently as the Start screen replaces it (and sometimes neglects to restore the snapped application when you return to the desktop). In addition, you can't leave the Start screen itself on a secondary monitor as clicking back on the desktop hides the Start screen. I also find the new window chrome very ugly - I much preferred the refined Aero glass from the developer preview to the solid colours, especially as the taskbar forces white text and windows force dark grey text (preventing you from having a particularly dark or light theme as it makes the text illegible).
pcb_master wrote:
Just because it uses metro isn't a reason to hate it...

Yes, of course it is. Metro is horrible. It's the worst UI on a major OS in the last 20 years without question.

Quote:
it's reasonably intuitive on a tablet

False. Nobody will ever intuit the edge gestures that are *required* to navigate Metro.
I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows 8 on a desktop computer as long as all my needed softwares work on Windows 7 and that Metro cannot be disabled.
Metro is completely removable and you can add your precious 7 style start menu. Some of us like to have information right there on the start menu and the faster searches and general improvements far outweigh the Metro and it's various disillusions.
I actually went and installed my free copy of Windows 8 on my 2005 era laptop. The performance paralleled XP, which quite surprised me. I'd be using it on that laptop if it didn't have one major, gaping flaw. All my drivers won't work on Windows 8. That means no wireless and an ugly 1024x768 resolution on a 1280x800 monitor. Next time I re-install over my Windows 7, I'll use Windows 8 / Start8.

(As a side note, my Windows 7 copy isn't as legitimate as my Windows 8 disc...)
pcb_master wrote:
Why? It's fast and they fixed most of the broken stuff. Just because it uses metro isn't a reason to hate it...

Not with virtualization.
seana11 wrote:

Not with virtualization.

Implying that any windows OS handled virtualization well.
pcb_master wrote:
Metro is completely removable

No, you absolutely cannot.

You can attempt to ignore it, you cannot remove it.

Quote:
and you can add your precious 7 style start menu.

Also false.

Quote:
Some of us like to have information right there on the start menu and the faster searches and general improvements far outweigh the Metro and it's various disillusions.

Metro does not have faster searches, nor does it have any general improvements. Information right there on the start menu is also pretty useless unless you regularly stare at the start menu. The side bar in Vista was better for that, but they killed it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
and you can add your precious 7 style start menu.

Also false.

Start8 provides a reasonable facsimile.

I like the new Start screen very much, but I've been a big fan of hitting the Windows key, starting to type a program name and pressing Enter to run it since Vista (and this all works as it should and preserves the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut). The only real difference is that I need to remember to hit Win+W to speed up searching for a setting as it only displays application results by default (which makes some sense as you can also search via installed applications, which is a very nice feature in my opinion - not only can I search for applications/settings/files from the Start screen, but also in Wikipedia or for train times or across various news services or anything else someone writes an application for).

Quote:
Information right there on the start menu is also pretty useless unless you regularly stare at the start menu. The side bar in Vista was better for that, but they killed it.

Vista's sidebar was a nice idea (though there had been plenty of desktop gadget programs before that) but the gadgets were fairly limited and it chewed up CPU cycles like nobody's business. It also added visual noise to the desktop. The Start screen is easier to quickly access and dismiss (tap Win to toggle rather than Win+Space), has a much cleaner look and the tiles are windows into capable applications rather than simple status indicators (or, at best, links to websites).
benryves wrote:
I like the new Start screen very much, but I've been a big fan of hitting the Windows key, starting to type a program name and pressing Enter to run it since Vista (and this all works as it should and preserves the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut). The only real difference is that I need to remember to hit Win+W to speed up searching for a setting as it only displays application results by default (which makes some sense as you can also search via installed applications, which is a very nice feature in my opinion - not only can I search for applications/settings/files from the Start screen, but also in Wikipedia or for train times or across various news services or anything else someone writes an application for).

Except the "hit win key + type" model is completely broken because when I do that Windows 8 SCREAMS AT THE TOP OF ITS LUNGS IN A GIANT SOLID COLOR RIGHT IN MY FACE.

It's a flat out bad design.

Quote:
The Start screen is easier to quickly access and dismiss (tap Win to toggle rather than Win+Space), has a much cleaner look and the tiles are windows into capable applications rather than simple status indicators (or, at best, links to websites).

Has the same problem as search. Full screen on a desktop is *STUPID* and whoever at Microsoft thought this was a remotely good idea should have a 27" monitor slammed over their head.
i don't care in the slightest whether or not windows 8 is functional, but hate it all the same because they've managed to displease their userbase enough to cause some to use an alternative OS, which, in turn, means that those of us already using those alternatives suffer from a dilution of information (due to the influx of people without any clues) and more recognition from those writing malware.
Compynerd255 wrote:
OK, I'm just going to say it, and I know that it's probably not my place to do so, but you're being a troll right now. I can tell how much you hate Windows 8, but it is 100% clear by how you're acting that you're not open to discussion about it.

Not trolling, and there really isn't anything to discuss. Metro is a UI disaster.

Quote:
In any case, I used to work for Microsoft and am currently working for them now, and I can tell you that every standard Microsoft employee, including everyone who wrote Windows 8, is equipped with two 27" monitors.

If you actually work at Microsoft then you know full well that those who *wrote* Windows 8 are not the ones who *designed* Windows 8.
Microsoft has officially conceded that Windows 8 sucked for desktop users. Free upgrade that will, among other things, bring back the Start button. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418944,00.asp

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours