Ladies and gentlemen, you were waiting for this moment, inscriptions to the TI-Concours are open ! Good Idea

I will tell about what's new in this 3rd edition, this year, the TI-Concours evolves !

Two new categories

After TI-Basic z80 (2011), then Axe and TI-Basic 68k (2012), it is the time for z80 Asm and Nspire Lua. We will have 5 categories this year.
Hope there will be many participants !
I want to precise that "asm z80" includes 83+ asm, but even Asm83 and other, 82, 86 if you want Very Happy

Shifting the different categories in time

To allow participants to participate in as many categories as they want, the imposed subjects will take place at different periods for each category !
Here is the calendar (French, sorry ._. )

As you see, there will be only one imposed subject in Asm and Lua categories instead of two, which will last two weeks instead of one, and which will be noted on 200 instead of 100.

Deletion of the age limit

Deletion of the personnal projects, creation of a "final round"

This is the biggest news, the free projects deletion.
Until the last year, the '3rd round' consisted in present a personal project totally free in four weeks, and submit it to the visitors' votes.
This is the past Wink
Now, at the end of the required subjects, the best coders will be qualified for the final. This involves removal of participants in lower scores, particularly in categories that are more successful (TI-Basic z80 for example).

Finalists will be subjected to two tests:

-> An oral of 20 minutes, without preparation, with one of the judges of the relevant class, via Skype (you should have a webcam+micro):
The candidate will choose a subject by lot, every subject related to a concept of the programming language corresponding to its category.
During the first 10 minutes, the examiner will ask a series of questions requiring knowledge or reflection
Then will take place a discussion about the programming language in general, or about general knowledge of calculators, the participant's motivations, or the programs he made while the required subjects (justify some part of code, etc...)
This oral would take place in English or French, between the 10 and 17 May. (2013)

-> A practical test of 3h (add 20 minutes to upload the programs) the 18 or 19 May (the exact times will be specified later and will take account of time zones):
A topic composed of several exercices themselves composed of several questions will be send to the finalists.
Can you be both fast and performant at the same time ? Cool

Those two tests will be noted on 400 points, therefore, the final score will be on 1000 points.

Why aving doing those changes ?
The first reason was to not compete with other contests, most of which are based on a personal project with a free theme.
Moreover, while the two last years a lot of conpetitors have abandoned because they had no idea of ​​project, and it is unfortunate.
Finally, the presence of a vote by visitors, and the difficulty to judge a program objectively reinforced my idea, especially as critor and nikitouzz immediately approved me. Razz

The awards

You are interested, huh ? Razz
As in 2011, we decided to not publish details of lots before to get an idea of the number of participants.
That said, in order to get you some desire to participate (if you don't still have Very Happy ), I specify that there is several calculators to win, and many goodies, especially thanks to TI-Planet et à Jarrety. Good Idea

I sincerely hope that this new edition will be another great success !
One of a kind, the TI-contest, I hope, will manage in the future to become a reference in terms of programming contests on TI calculators. Smile

Registration to the TI-Concours 2013
Wow, this is quite complex. I know that I enjoyed the Morpion (Tic-Tac-Toe) TI-BASIC contest last year; I programmed my entry on one of my old TI-83+SE calculators on the subway going to get furniture at Ikea. I was quite frustrated that I got penalized rather than praised for adding optional extra features that could be turned off, but c'est la vie. This year I don't know if I'll have the free time to enter, but it would be nice if I did. The oral exam is quite an interesting component; I don't know of any other community contest that has tried something like that before. How many entrants do you anticipate?
Quote:
The oral exam is quite an interesting component; I don't know of any other community contest that has tried something like that before. How many entrants do you anticipate?

Precisely because of this oral test, we don't know.
The concept is interesting, but have a date to respect can demotivate people.

I personnaly have important exams the next week, people may have too and decide that it is unreasonable.

Unlike, open to Asm and Lua will attract people !

We will see...
Hmm... I might try TI-Basic, but I'm not sure how exactly this contest works. Do you get a certain topic for programming?
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Hmm... I might try TI-Basic, but I'm not sure how exactly this contest works. Do you get a certain topic for programming?
If it's anything like last year, they'll announce the category of program/game at the beginning of the contest.
The subjects will be sent to the competitors at indicated dates.
So, you will have precisely one or two week(s) to make each program (2 weeks in Asm and Lua).
Yes that's it.
KermMartian -> we are expecting the same number as last year in Axe and TI-Basic z80 categories. For others we don't know. But I hope you will submit something ! And also, even if you are not sure to program something please subscribe, you don't have anything to lose. Wink
(sorry for double post)

The prizes will be announced soon, there will surely be several CX CAS like last year, but there may be several changes too. Smile
(and if you want to enter the contest, don't forget to subscribe, soome told me they could participate but I didn't get any form from them)
noelthebest wrote:
(sorry for double post)

The prizes will be announced soon, there will surely be several CX CAS like last year, but there may be several changes too. Smile
(and if you want to enter the contest, don't forget to subscribe, soome told me they could participate but I didn't get any form from them)
No problem on the double post, thanks for the updates. Prizes are always a great way to induce people to participate, so I hope that helps grow the number of people entering. How many participants does it look like there will be so far?
Concerning the three categories that already existed last year, we expect the same number of participants as last year (24,13,4). For asm and lua, we don't know but we hope that there'll be many entries. But anyway, as I already said it's better to subscribe early, because then when we propose to people who don't know what TI-Concours is to enter the contest, we can tell them : "Look ! There are a lot of participants already !" and that's a good point for a contest I think (you know what I mean Very Happy ).
The form said my Email was Invalid!!!
Hum, that's weird. I've just tried with something@gmail.com and I worked. Actually, it's the first time I hear about such problems. Surprised
What is your e-mail adress ? Does it contain any special characters, that the form would not accept ?
(if it really doesn't work, you can send me an e-mail with all the informations needed ; for the password please use http://www.sha1.fr )
my email is Luxen@sdf.org.
perhaps it only allows common email services such as GMail and Yahoo?
Do I get bonus points for using French? :p
I might as well try. I kind of feel like getting back in to ASM.
LuxenD wrote:
my email is Luxen@sdf.org.
perhaps it only allows common email services such as GMail and Yahoo?

Or perhaps it's that capital letter.
Yes, I think it's that capital letter. Please try again now, it should be O.K. Smile

Kaslai : you can submit your programs in french or in english, it doesn't change anything to your score.
if its because it has a capital letter, that stinks. my service provider might be the only site in existence that has case-sencitive email adresses. no kidding.
O.K., starting on the 4th of March ! Do not hesitate to subscribe !

(LuxenD, KermMartin... Wink )

Note that if you subscribe now, you might not get the e-mail. You might get it ! Very Happy
noelthebest wrote:
O.K., starting on the 4th of March ! Do not hesitate to subscribe !

(LuxenD, KermMartin... Wink )

Note that if you subscribe now, you might not get the e-mail. You might get it ! Very Happy
I am afraid that I have way, way less than zero free time. Between my book, the T^3 conference, social life, my work-work, SourceCoder, jsTIfied, TI-84+CSE projects, etc I won't be able to enter. Sorry about that! Hope you get lots of participants.
no problem. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours