I understand that the TI NSPIRE CX CAS Calculator is an order of magnitude more powerful than the TI 84 Plus silver edition. However, I find its programming capabilities lacking. Is there an application that allows you to run TI 84 Basic Code? The reason I am asking this question is simply because I hate using the new procedural method of writing programs in which you must input all your variables at the beginning without actually knowing what each one of them does. I really miss the old TI 84 system where you could prompt variables during the program, and display text telling you what they mean. If you know of any way the programming functionality can be improved in this manner, please let me know.
Terrence Rickson wrote:
I understand that the TI NSPIRE CX CAS Calculator is an order of magnitude more powerful than the TI 84 Plus silver edition. However, I find its programming capabilities lacking. Is there an application that allows you to run TI 84 Basic Code? The reason I am asking this question is simply because I hate using the new procedural method of writing programs in which you must input all your variables at the beginning without actually knowing what each one of them does. I really miss the old TI 84 system where you could prompt variables during the program, and display text telling you what they mean. If you know of any way the programming functionality can be improved in this manner, please let me know.

Welcome to Cemetech! Please feel free to introduce yourself.

I would sincerely doubt that TI would force you to prompt all of your variables without knowing what each of them does - if the TI Basic programmers for the Nspire tried to release something like that, it would probably be the last thing they ever wrote for TI. Smile You might have to declare all of your variables at the beginning of the program, but that certainly doesn't mean that you can't reassign them later.
For the TI NSPIRE CX CAS, you are forced to write the name of the function and then the variables like so: function(x,y,z), rather than simply activating the program/function and having it prompt the variables while displaying text telling you what they mean. Is there some way around this?

*EDIT* I was simply wondering if there was anyway to receive input from the user while the function is running.*
Terrence Rickson wrote:
For the TI NSPIRE CX CAS, you are forced to write the name of the function and then the variables like so: function(x,y,z), rather than simply activating the program/function and having it prompt the variables while displaying text telling you what they mean. Is there some way around this?

*EDIT* I was simply wondering if there was anyway to receive input from the user while the function is running.*

Oh, OK, so I think I know how you do it: Essentially, instead of defining one large function, you define a bunch of individual ones, one for each command you wish to make available. You might have a help() function that displays usage information, then give your functions descriptive names.

I will agree that that's still pretty bad. That's exactly what Lua and C for the NSpire are trying to solve.
I think you should take a look at the request, text and disp statements. If I wasn't in bed I'd write some example code.
I realized the problem, thanks to the assistance. I was trying to use request statements in a function, which wasn't working. I have to define a program with zero initial inputs which then requests inputs in the format :Request "This is what the variable means (e.g. height)",h
Thanks for your help guys!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours