calc84maniac wrote:
Finally I got another beta complete. This one adds sound support, 4 channels! A sample of Tetris music can be found here.

Download the new version here: Beta 0.1.07
(In case you're wondering about Beta 0.1.06, it's not worth the download because it has a few bugs that I fixed in 0.1.07)
I envy you so much with your 15MHz, getting to do 4-channel sound while you do grayscale, although of course that's your impressive skill at work too. Smile I'm afraid I was never able to successfully play through an image I made with the last version of TIBoy; I'll have to try again.
Awesome awesome work as usual =D
elfprince13 wrote:
Awesome awesome work as usual =D
Indubitably! Calc84, do you have a target for some kind of 1.0 release, or is this an infinite project of sorts? Smile
Where can I find a good Legend of Zelda ROM? I can't seem to find a good one.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
Where can I find a good Legend of Zelda ROM? I can't seem to find a good one.

It's illegal to share ROMs from cartridges you don't own, so is aiding someone else in sharing them. They can legally be extracted from your own game cartridges - Google can help you find more information on that subject. - Post moderated by elfprince13

Edit by Ashbad: Fair enough, best not to tell him specifics on the googling.
I tried sending one to my TI-84+ SE calculator, but when I click on it, it says,"Since TI changed the 84+ hardware in 2007, TI-Boy doesn't have all the RAM it needs. Sorry! See the readme for more info."

I didn't see anything in the readme.
Ashbad, thank you for supporting and promoting Cemetech's policy on legality.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
I tried sending one to my TI-84+ SE calculator, but when I click on it, it says,"Since TI changed the 84+ hardware in 2007, TI-Boy doesn't have all the RAM it needs. Sorry! See the readme for more info."

I didn't see anything in the readme.
I believe the newest betas of TI-Boy have been rewritten to work even without the extra RAM, but I could easily be incorrect about that.
Okay. I got it to work. Thanks!
It's been too long since I've posted updates here!

Well, since the last version I posted, I added TI-84 Pocket.fr support, frameskip settings, more responsive control keys, general compatibility enhancements, and most importantly, all TI-84+SE calculators can now run Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow! That last feat was accomplished because those games only use the first 16KB of RAM in their cartridges.

Download: Beta 0.2.03
Pokemon Red on the TI-84+/SE, eh? That'll be a boon for all the people who have been coming here wondering why JoeYoung's Pokemon Red hasn't been working for them. Smile In fact, this might deserve a front-page mention this time in order to channel those users properly to this update. I'm also curious what was required to added TI-84.fr Pocket support. And finally, thanks for updating us, and you should keep us appraised of your progress more often. Wink
calc84maniac wrote:
It's been too long since I've posted updates here!

Well, since the last version I posted, I added TI-84 Pocket.fr support, frameskip settings, more responsive control keys, general compatibility enhancements, and most importantly, all TI-84+SE calculators can now run Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow! That last feat was accomplished because those games only use the first 16KB of RAM in their cartridges.

Download: Beta 0.2.03

When will you support linking? Razz I really need a Pokemon Red game to be able to trade with my Blue Version cartridge, so I can finally have all 151.
As for the TI-84 Pocket.fr compatibility, BrandonW found out a while ago that it cannot map RAM in the $4000-$7FFF range, much like the original TI-83+ cannot. I modified TI-Boy accordingly (which also freed up the extra 8KB of RAM that I ended up using for Pokemon support)
I love having watched this program progress so steadily and nicely. It's one of my favorite programs, aside from calcsys, zStart, and DoorsCS7.
My account is glitched up on Omnimaga, and it's impossible to delete or to get into.
I'm interested in learning more about this program, to see if I can't optimize it to speed it up, and get sound emulation nicer. Any way I can help?
TI-Boy is a closed-source project, and rightly so, I believe. This is an epic accomplishment into which calc84maniac has undoubtedly poured hundreds of hours of great ideas and coding brilliance. There shouldn't exist any chance of someone taking and using his great work without his explicit permission.

In general, the only reason I might agree that a closed-source project should be opened up is if its developer(s) have no more intention to continue it. But I believe calc84maniac still isn't quite done yet with TI-Boy.

Anyways I find it hard to believe that anybody on the face of this planet, not you, not me, not KermM, not tr1p1ea, could optimize this project any further past the tremendous amount he already has. The optimization level of this code has ascended to a godlike level on which only calc84maniac's machine brain resides.
Dapianokid wrote:
I'm interested in learning more about this program, to see if I can't optimize it to speed it up, and get sound emulation nicer. Any way I can help?

No. This is probably the most effectively optimized piece of software in the calculator community.
The level of "NO" that I just received is beyond my comprehension.

I don't doubt at all that this has been optimized to the extent you people are talking about. Darned shame. Of course, I was thinking about looking at the way it functions altogether differently, but I'm not quite on the level he is. He's got it covered. Smile

I hope he never quits on this, it gets better and better.

I understand, wise ones.
So... TI-Boy Color? Is it possible? Here's why I think it might be:

The ASIC is the same as the TI-84+SE and has all 128 KB of RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for speed, if the window is set to 160x144, I would think it's possible to get close to 15 fps since it's only dealing with 1/3 of the screen's pixels.

Of course, I'm not sure how much work it would be to add support for GBC ROMs. What do you think about it?
ajcord wrote:

The ASIC is the same as the TI-84+SE and has all 128 KB of RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for speed, if the window is set to 160x144, I would think it's possible to get close to 15 fps since it's only dealing with 1/3 of the screen's pixels.

Of course, I'm not sure how much work it would be to add support for GBC ROMs. What do you think about it?

The issue I think is more the amount of calculation needed since he'll most likely need to do color space conversion on top of his work to support the tilemapping hardware and such.
TheStorm wrote:
ajcord wrote:

The issue I think is more the amount of calculation needed since he'll most likely need to do color space conversion on top of his work to support the tilemapping hardware and such.

Not really, the graphics are paletted so any color conversion can be precomputed. The bigger problem is with the CPU emulation, because first of all, most GBC games run at twice the CPU speed of GB games and the CPU is already the main limiter. In addition, the GBC introduced a new swappable RAM page in an address area that can't be swapped directly with the TI paging hardware, so an 8KB memory copy would be required for each swap.

Quick note, even the old TI-Boy doesn't get 15FPS under normal conditions. I wouldn't expect incredible graphics performance in a CSE version, especially given that I can't rely on 1-bit pixel outputs. Of course, I'll probably keep the option to change frameskip manually.

Anyway, I probably won't start development until we have a good flash unlock hack and an emulator with sufficient development tools (I hear TilEm might support CSE soon)
calc84maniac wrote:
In addition, the GBC introduced a new swappable RAM page in an address area that can't be swapped directly with the TI paging hardware, so an 8KB memory copy would be required for each swap.
What a pain. Sad And none of the quirky TI-84 Plus/SE mapping modes help at all?

Quote:
Anyway, I probably won't start development until we have a good flash unlock hack and an emulator with sufficient development tools (I hear TilEm might support CSE soon)
If you need more development features in jsTIfied, I'd be happy to obliged (except for "make it faster", which would be challenging). Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours