hi all,

As you may or may not know, jstified is entirely made in HTML5 and javascript.
these 2 things make a great combo, and that combo can be exported to a mobile app!
i already notified Kerm about this, and he said i could poke around a bit in the code.
ill post my findings here (maybe if i get around it, a possible .apk for android too Wink )

-cheers for now
legodude
Any information you might be able to collect would be appreciated. You mentioned PhoneGap, which looks quite interesting, but I'd want to know how well jsTIfied runs on popular Android and iPhone models before devoting any serious time to the project.
I will have a droid razr maxx in a few days to test this. I also have a couple older android devices running cyanogenmod 7-9 that i can test on if needed ^^
geekboy1011 wrote:
I will have a droid razr maxx in a few days to test this. I also have a couple older android devices running cyanogenmod 7-9 that i can test on if needed ^^
That too would be appreciated. Smile I've had several teachers request a way to run jsTIfied on their iPads for in-class demos, and this is certainly one way to approach it.
My bro has an ipod 4 he can test on as well.
geekboy1011 wrote:
My bro has an ipod 4 he can test on as well.

Totally misread the first post. Ignore the small case text Smile

Unfortunately it sounds like this isn't being developed for iOS. Though PhoneGap should make that really easy. The only work that'd have to be done is up'ing the resolution so the skins aren't pixelated - though that would be the case for some Android tablets too.

Legodude, if you don't wish to head an iOS app I'll start figuring out how now and do it later Smile I don't see any issue with it since you're just wrapping HTML & JS for use as an app but if you have any objections let me know!

The only hurdles I see at the moment are loading the ROM's for iOS. There are apps that allow the user to dump documents into them from iTunes so that may be the path to go for iOS. Also adding a drop-down menu to select recognized ROMs would be an idea.
On a jailbroken iPhone, I think that jsTIfied could be run using lighttpd, a web server. I could even share it with other people nearby with a personal hotspot! (if they have ROMs, of course)

Is there anywhere I can get the source to test if it would work?

Peter
peterburk wrote:
On a jailbroken iPhone, I think that jsTIfied could be run using lighttpd, a web server. I could even share it with other people nearby with a personal hotspot! (if they have ROMs, of course)

Peter

Unfortunately, jsTIfied is to stay on Cemetechs servers for easier version management. Also, despite it being released and out of beta it is still being actively worked on.

What are the advantages of using LightTTPD versus the one here on Cemetech?
This would actually be very easy to implement on Cemetech's part. All you need to do is just adapt the layout to fit screen sizes and see what performance you'd get. In this case, there's no advantage toward using a mobile app instead of a mobile website, as both would still use a web view of sorts and you would thus encounter similar speeds.

I'd be happy to chip in a Nexus 7 (running Android 4.2.2) and an iPhone 4 (jailbroken, iOS 6.1).

comicIDIOT wrote:
What are the advantages of using LightTTPD versus the one here on Cemetech?

Well, because it's a web server, you don't need access to cemetech.net or the Internet. What he was proposing is copying jsTIfied over to his local device file system and then viewing it from his device.
peterburk wrote:

Peter
Peter, welcome to Cemetech. I'm afraid we're not releasing the source anywhere. I'm not sure why I see why running jsTIfied via lighttpd would be any different than running it from Cemetech.
I'd love to see this made into a Web "application." it can be stored for offline use as well.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/appleapplications/reference/safariwebcontent/Client-SideStorage/Client-SideStorage.html

I can't figure out how to grab just the needed parts to start anew with a minimal page.. But I was fiddling with it. Trying to remove the Safari UI and then I'll create a manifest and add it to my home screen...
neutronscott wrote:
I'd love to see this made into a Web "application." it can be stored for offline use as well.
Yes, it's something on my eventual to-do list for sure, although I plan to start with an Android application.

Quote:
I can't figure out how to grab just the needed parts to start anew with a minimal page.. But I was fiddling with it. Trying to remove the Safari UI and then I'll create a manifest and add it to my home screen...
I appreciate the enthusiasm, and I hope you'll let me know what you discovered. However, before you get too carried away, let me gently point you at this section of the jsTIfied TOS:
Quote:
[...]You may not reproduce the jsTIfied tool in whole or in part, reverse engineer it, or attempt to host it[...]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours