oooh, i can't wait for July '06! As my b-day present to myself, i'm building a new system (well, its technically an upgrade, but basically everything has to be upgraded, so i'll take the old parts and make a new comp out of it)

gonna go from an AthlonXP 2500, 1gb DDR RAM, and a Radeon 9700PRO and get something like an Athlon64 X2 4400 (socket M2 should be out by then, hopefully), 2gb DDR2 RAM(maybe 3 if its out?), and a GeForce 7800GTX - i might throw in a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card, yayayayaya Very Happy

Then i'll turn the comp made from old parts into an HTPC and/or server (running Gentoo Linux, of course Laughing )
I'm going to build a Beowulf Cluster! (I have all of the software, but until I can get >$3K, it's all just concept Crying but I'm working on it!)

I'm hoping to hack the PS3 and put Linux on it when it comes out...I just hope that I can finish all of my embedded design eBooks by then :crosses_fingers: Then I'd get 2TF of processing power from it! (Did you know that a P4 only has about 15GF of processing power? So the PS3 is going to be INSANE on processing power!)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I'm going to build a Beowulf Cluster! (I have all of the software, but until I can get >$3K, it's all just concept Crying but I'm working on it!)

I'm hoping to <font color=red>censored</font> the PS3 and put Linux on it when it comes out...I just hope that I can finish all of my embedded design eBooks by then :crosses_fingers: Then I'd get 2TF of processing power from it! (Did you know that a P4 only has about 15GF of processing power? So the PS3 is going to be INSANE on processing power!)

Only 15gigaflops? I thought it was like double that...
I want to install OS X on the XBox 360 Smile
Linux would be better.
yeah, Linux, if there is anything I hate more than Windows is Macs
I can agree with that.
yeah, linux here too...

if i could get linux to do wifi, i'd have converted to linux by now...
it can, its called ndiswrapper
Try knoppix, it's quite good.
the problem with knoppix is that it is a live CD, can you really install anything on it. If you have a computer of your own you can dual boot, Fedora Core 4 works nice

Also, ArkLinux (I think that is how it is spelled) has wfi support, I think, I need to talk to a freind to double check it, but I am pretty sure it does
Can't Knoppix be installed as a regular hd-booted OS??
I thought it was live-cd only, I may be wrong though
I don't see any reason why it couldn't just be copied into a bootable sector.
ok, true, but it really wouldn't be installed
rivereye wrote:
ok, true, but it really wouldn't be installed

Erm, why not? It would work exactly like an os..
sudo knoppix-install

Quote:
I want to install OS X on the XBox 360 Smile

Very Happy Oh man do you have problems...Just Joking

@alex:
As for the WiFi, yes, ndiswrapper will work; what type of WiFi card do you have?
speaking of wifi, I am still trying to figure out NDISwrapper for myself

my card WMP54G from Linksys
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Slackware_Installing_Linksys_WMP54G_with_NDISWRAPPER_11

Actually, you may not even need ndiswrapper in your case rivereye: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-December/msg07608.html
yeah, I use Fedora Core 4, but how do I know if my Card is V4?

Edit: Found out, I do have v4, now to try out the drivers

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours