Do you think that this idea is good?
Totally - let's use it today!
 100%  [ 8 ]
It's mostly good, but could use a few changes (detailed below).
 0%  [ 0 ]
It needs a lot of changes (detailed below).
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't bother - AP is useless anyway.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

So, I noticed that this page talks about the need for an organized system for registered filetypes. I thought of a good one, and I want to ask if this'll be feasible (after, of course, we leave the existing filetypes as they are).

When we create our program filetype, we get three bytes. How about the first two bytes are simply the creator's ticalc.org author ID? Thus, for instance, Kerm would always begin the filetypes for his programs with 6077, and I would always begin my own filetypes with 10781. Then, the last byte is whatever the programmer decides it should be, so each programmer is alloted up to 255 unique filetypes. Because the most recent author on ticalc.org only has an ID of 11210, we're still decades away from 65,535. And the 255 filetypes shouldn't be a problem because no one has even published over 255 files in total (except for Kerm and the author of Phoenix, and a good chunk of those aren't 83/84 Plus).

The already existing prefixes would be an exception to this rule, and would instead be occupied by universal standards for files, such as plaintext or a 768-byte image. That way, no one programmer would have to declare the filetype themselves.

Please tell me what you think! Should we use this?
I think this is an awesome idea, and I wholeheartedly support it. Another option would be to use one's Cemetech user ID for that two-byte prefix, but for the sake of standardization, ticalc.org IDs are probably the better option.
I also think that's a great idea Very Happy I'm changing my WiredWorks filetype right now ^^
matrefeytontias wrote:
I also think that's a great idea Very Happy I'm changing my WiredWorks filetype right now ^^
Luckily you can, since the AP features in it haven't been officially released yet. Sadly, it's too late for Document DE, mobileTunes 3, and my other released AP-using programs. Sad
Yeah, too bad for these ones Sad

But I'll release my updated WiredWorks in a few time Smile

EDIT : forgot to say that I added FileOpen and FileSaveAs to AxeDCS Very Happy
matrefeytontias wrote:
Yeah, too bad for these ones Sad

But I'll release my updated WiredWorks in a few time Smile

EDIT : forgot to say that I added FileOpen and FileSaveAs to AxeDCS Very Happy
Oh, excellent, be sure to update the appropriate topic to add that detail, and perhaps the DCS Wiki needs a page about it? And I hope you get a chance to add the rest of the GUI features to your GUI axiom soon.
KermMartian wrote:
And I hope you get a chance to add the rest of the GUI features to your GUI axiom soon.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of tokens in the [stats] menu Sad so the way I'm going, I can only add 2 more GUI items and I'd filled the [stats] key.
Wait, don't we all have to agree on eachother's ID? Shouldn't there be a set system of giving authors ID's?

Like, there could be an automatic ID generator for each author (sort of like a social security number, not completely randomly chosen, but generated under some personal criteria).
Right, 'cause I don't think that everybody that is using AP is on Ti-Calc.

EDIT : can we write the pseudo corresponding to the ID as sub-category ?
GinDiamond wrote:
Wait, don't we all have to agree on eachother's ID? Shouldn't there be a set system of giving authors ID's?

Like, there could be an automatic ID generator for each author (sort of like a social security number, not completely randomly chosen, but generated under some personal criteria).

Ticalc.org already generates a new, unique ID for each and every user that publishes something there. The only real issue here is that an author might not be on ticalc when they release this program - a problem easily remedied by releasing a program without AP first.
GinDiamond wrote:

I don't think you really read the first post at all. See Compynerd's first and second post for all the answers to your question.
Kerm, do you think you could add a note about this in the "Registered Filetypes" section? Just something around the lines of "Currently there is not particular organizational scheme, but it has been suggested by a Cemetech user that the first two bytes be occupied by the author's ticalc.org author ID. If another scheme can be suggested, it would be much appreciated."
For someone who is not entirely educated on the AP (Associated Program) system, what benefits would this introduce?
I thought we had a registry somewhere with suggestions based on the type of program?
comicIDIOT wrote:
For someone who is not entirely educated on the AP (Associated Program) system, what benefits would this introduce?

The Associated Program system allows DCS programs to save and open files as programs, as well as allow the appropriate program to open such a file when the file is "run" through DCS. This relies on 3-byte codes that serve as file extensions, which must be unique in order to avoid data confusion (which wasn't as much of a problem on PCs because they had directories, which the 83 / 84 Plus does not). Having each developer set the first two bytes of their extensions to their ticalc.org developer IDs ensures that two file extensions would not collide, without having to consult a global table of file extensions and pick arbitrary numbers.

elfprince13 wrote:
I thought we had a registry somewhere with suggestions based on the type of program?

I was not informed of that. Could you provide a link?
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Registered_Filetypes
That page you linked wrote:
Currently there is no particular organizational scheme, but if you could suggest one, it would be much appreciated.

Which is what he's doing--we don't have a standard, so he came up with one. He links to that very page in his first post...
comicIDIOT wrote:
It would make it easier to have some order behind which AP ID refers to which program and author. Currently, IDs are more or less completely random.
merthsoft wrote:
That page you linked wrote:
Currently there is no particular organizational scheme, but if you could suggest one, it would be much appreciated.

Which is what he's doing--we don't have a standard, so he came up with one. He links to that very page in his first post...

Hmm, should have paid slightly closer attention to the page and the first post. I was pretty sure Kerm had at some point described to me which sorts of programs should use which sorts of prefixes based on categories like games and utilities. Maybe that was never codified, or never proceeded beyond idle speculation?
That was indeed only idle speculation on my part, and was never codified beyond my brain cells. I ended up getting into concerns of how to fairly subdivide the space between games and other programs, then genres of games, then individual games, and so on. Compy's solution is a much more reasonable one, in my opinion, and requires no hypothesizing about the programs that will be made to use the AP system ahead of time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours