I have a feeling the tinkerers in this group (which is pretty much everybody at one point or another) would like to have a this at their disposal. If you don't already know, Tekkit is a multiplayer modpack for Minecraft, which allows you to industrialize the game: Automatic crafting tables, pipes, oil pumps, quarries, nuclear reactors, and more available to be crafted. You can find more details at http://technicpack.net. One thing I think would be particularly fun to see is to watch the community mess with ComputerCraft's in-game Lua "computer" - a block that has a Lua interpreter inside that can be used to send messages via its virtual "Internet" named Rednet to other computers, or to machines called "Turtles" - small blocks that can be programmed to dig, place blocks, and move through their own API.

I do think this would make the already fun experience of minecraft multiplayer extremely fun (especially with a crowd such as this) to utilize.

I'm afraid I can't host a server for you guys at this point in time (and likely not in the near future either) but I just thought it would be worth mentioning in case you would like to use it yourself or host one for the Cemetech community (which is greatly appreciated by me!).
We have our own Tekkit server, actually!

mc.cemetech.net:25566

We also have bukkit at mc.cemetech.net.
Woe to the user who doesn't stay caught up in news! Very Happy

Is it an offline server? If not, consider this:

As for the unregistered-people-getting-booted issue, there are Bukkit plugins which implement a login system to prevent this from happening. Most allow you to register and log in through chat and keep you stuck in place without the ability to destroy blocks or hurt people/animals before logging in.

I think it might be worth looking in to, because I know there are other people like me who would pay if they had the chance - my parents are very strict on online purchases and it's a struggle to even buy books and it seems to them Mojang is a scam for some reason.
An offline server as in allowing people who pirated the game to join? No, both our Tekkit and Bukkit server allow only legitimate users, and I don't plan to change that in the future. Smile
Tekkit is also whitelisted to prevent anyone from joining and causing us to strain our resources from all the mechanics. I know the town I have a house in is heavily lagged by a factory. If someone joined, even if they had no permissions to build, that factory would run. So, if you wish to join Tekkit, and you've since bought the game, post your MC username here or PM it to myself or Kerm.

If you have friends with more freedom to buy things online you can always give them a $20 bill in exchange for a gift code.
CalebHansberry wrote:
I hate to bring it up but, what is Tekkit and how does it affect me?

Tekkit doesn't affect you whatsoever. Tekkit is another instance of Minecraft that brings mechanics and other aspects into the game. For instance, you can build water and oil pumps. Compress coal into diamonds (and other things into other materials). The setup I have installed is way, way over powered and just leads to abuse of the system. For instance, within the first 5 hours I had dark matter armor and a ring that granted flight. Needless to say, I was invincible. Walking through lava couldn't kill me.

Tekkit is a great concept but the players have to play in moderation or it isn't fun for you or anyone else. There's no reward in walking up to a special chest that you can pop-in what you want to make, and some diamonds and 60,000 wood blocks to build with migrates it's way to a chest. There's more ways to abuse the system (i.e. free energy to make anything you want) and it just wasn't fun once there was no risk.
Sounds like a good Creative mode setup for making cool things to me. I saw it included ComputerCraft; that would be cool because personally I love ComputerCraft.

Unfortunately I cannot join because it is out of date. But if you happen to update it, you could whitelist me, my name is Parse34.
Unfortunately, I fear it'll be a long while. Tekkit is based off Bukkit, which our normal Minecraft server uses. And Bukkit was just officially updated to 1.4 the other week. So, Tekkit could be a ways off as they then take the bukkit release and modify it into Tekkit. As it is, Tekkit is officially still on 3.1.3.

But that's okay. Because, Tekkit doesn't use the traditional Minecraft launcher. Some of the mods are client side, so the fact that it's "out of date" doesn't matter.
Well, Tekkit will almost certainly still take a while, mainly because everyone's waiting on RP2 to update. Eloraam, the dev of RP2, has set a release date around Christmas, so expect Tekkit to update 1 or 2 weeks afterwards Wink
Also, tekkit as we know it might experience some drastic changes, as EE3 has some major changes made from the older versions. Of course, I'll try to keep you guys updated if anything new comes up.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours