Over the past few weeks, we have accrued a six-page topic with suggestions from our loyal Cemetech users about the next Cemetech contest. Suggestions ranged from networked AIs battling each other to encryption and games. In the end, we decided to go with a theme you might broadly label "Ports".

Topic: Entrants have two options: (1) extensively modify an existing, released calculator or computer game/program (with the author's permission) to add novel features (points for creativity and originality) or (2) porting a game concept from calculator to computer or computer to calculator and giving it a new spin (no direct ports allowed). Permission is vital; unauthorized ports will be disqualified.

Categories: (1) z80 calculators, (2) Casio calculators , and (3) computers. All languages are allowed on all platforms, as long as any software required to make an entry work is included with the entry (or linked in a readme).

Deadline: January 21, 2013. Early entries will get bonus points.

Rules:
1) Everyone needs a topic in the Contest subforum here, as for Contest 8.
2) Points will be graded on creativity, originality, speed, and size, in roughly that order.
3) No private help from others. No code help from others. Feedback on screenshots and ideas may be requested (only) in the entry's official Cemetech topic, but keep in mind that we will be grading you on your originality.

Prizes: To be announced. Will likely include one or more calculators, plus the userbars for the top 3 authors in each calculator and other website perks.

I look forward to all of your entries in this contest! Based on the fact that we already had six Contest 9 entry topics created before I even posted this article officially announcing the topic, I can guess that we're going to have some fierce competition and impressive entries. Best of luck, and be sure to ask for any clarification that you may need.

I am looking forward to this contest! I should try my best to get ahold of my 84+SE or perhaps break down and use an emulator to get work done as fast as possible.
I have to say that jsTIfied + Sourcecoder provide one of the fastest workflows I've ever had the pleasure of for a TI-8x device.
elfprince13 wrote:
I have to say that jsTIfied + Sourcecoder provide one of the fastest workflows I've ever had the pleasure of for a TI-8x device.

I am still faster with an actual piece of hardware in my hands. However, I may have to break down to using those.
This shall be interesting. Smile I wish good luck to those who will participate.

By the way, I assume that since the rules allow modified ports and programs, that if someone decides to submit a 83+/84+ game or demo to YeongJIN_COOL contest on Omnimaga, then he can expand it further or even do a sequel for the Cemetech contest, right (assuming somebody manages to integrate both ports and apocalyptic themes together)?
what counts as a computer
JoeYoung wrote:

Anything that can run Starcraft.
DJ_O wrote:
JoeYoung wrote:

Anything that can run Starcraft.

That's it. I'm gonna have to port Mario 64 now.
Out of curiosity (Since I am not sure I will have time to participate in this contest) what is the stance on getting permission for porting a more popular game such as minecraft or starcraft? I would think even getting a response from the developers of those games would be quite difficult.
^This. In my case specifically, I was thinking about old NES titles.
I will not enter this time.
builderboy2005 wrote:
Out of curiosity (Since I am not sure I will have time to participate in this contest) what is the stance on getting permission for porting a more popular game such as minecraft or starcraft? I would think even getting a response from the developers of those games would be quite difficult.

I don't think we have a stance. Traditionally the calculator community has assumed all of our projects fall under some kind of "fair use".
elfprince13 wrote:
Traditionally the calculator community has assumed all of our projects fall under some kind of "fair use".

Unless the original game developer is Camelot. (see what happened to Tenniskid493 with Golden Sun in 2005)
KermM what are the odds of a dcs 7.2 beta 3 being released during this contest? I would like some of the features I have had you add to dcs over the past year or so for use in my projects (Most notably the Cn2.2 features I want you to add and Your beautiful font is nice as well Razz)
geekboy, the odds are very good, especially if we can get some more work on BASIC Cn2.2 libs tied up in the near future.

Elfprince, Art_of_Camelot, Builderboy: An excellent question, and one to which to be honest I don't have a good answer. I was being especially insistent about asking permission in the case where you're taking code from an existing calculator game and greatly overhauling it. I didn't think as much about the porting from platform to platform case. I'm inclined to agree with Elfprince that we'll grade such entries, but with the caveat that we're not responsible for the details on any entry's legality (which is the case for all of the programs in the archives anyway).
What about the odds that a new LuaZM interpretor would be released during the contest?
flyingfisch wrote:
What about the odds that a new LuaZM interpretor would be released during the contest?
It depends how much free time I can eke out of life. I can try to get a small update in.
Wait, the prize mentions calculators?
Does that mean I'd win a Ti-84+ SE?
GinDiamond wrote:
Wait, the prize mentions calculators?
Does that mean I'd win a Ti-84+ SE?
It means exactly what the article says: "Will likely include one or more calculators".
So cool...

could I enter a rougelike in Axe?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours