Haha. It's a rabbit hole now, is it?
sorry for starting the climate change rabbit hole. Sad

anyway, still not much going on here besides a constant drizzle.
Just started raining here, pretty sure it didn't rain much last night.
Lower Manhattan remains without power, getting towards 48 hours without electricity. We still have running water, although some people are concerned that it may be contaminated by storm-water runoff. The photos I posted in the first post of this topic were from about 3pm-4pm Monday, when the winds in NYC were still intensifying and power was still on. The winds peaked around 8pm or 9pm, and although we never really got a lot of rain, the real problem was the storm surges from the waterways surrounding the city. Around 8:15pm there was a massive explosion at the Con Edision substation that supplies much of lower Manhattan; the power stayed on until 8:45pm, when Con Ed cut everything to protect rapidly-flooding substations and feeder facilities.

I quickly hacked together a bunch of bright flashlights from random batteries, resistors, and white LEDs I had lying around, and pressed a couple of Tupperware containers filled with water into service as diffusers. My friends and roommates and I Went out around 11pm to survey the damage in the deep darkness of entirely-blacked-out lower Manhattan. Caravans of ambulances and civilian vehicles were slowly cruising the avenues, looking for people who needed medical assistance but had no phone service. Small bands of residents like ourselves roamed the streets. Occasional gusts made signs hanging by threads creak ominously, while we detoured around branches and whole trees spread across streets and avenues. We made it to Avenue B (about four or five blocks from the East River), before encountering the rising flood waters, as it was just about high tide. Unable to go any further east, we headed north, where the ConEd employees were stuck evacuating from the flooding plant. We walked around a bit more, to the same ordered chaos, before returning home for toasting bread and Pop-Tarts over our working stove by candlelight.

Yesterday, Tuesday, power remained out all day. Sara and I walked over the East again, and although the water had all receded, people were busy trying to pump out basements entirely filled with water, piles of leaves and garbage were everywhere, cars had floated into the middle of streets. Darkness was everywhere. However, some of NYU's dorms and academic buildings are on an independent CoGen plant completed last year, so we were able to get a hot meal in the residence hall, and I could even get into my office building, although the RFID door lock on my floor had no power. In the evening, as it started to get dark, my girlfriend pressed us to go to New Jersey, to check on her parents who didn't lose power. Although buses started running again, they were packed, so we walked up to the 42nd Street bus station, got a private bus to New Jersey (since NJ Transit buses are not running), and managed to make it. I'm ready to head back as soon as I hear that power has returned to my home. Smile

More pictures and videos coming soon.
Hope you're boiling and/or filtering the water

Sounds like way more "roughing it" excitement than I'm sure NYC is used to.
KermMartian wrote:
Lower Manhattan remains without power, getting towards 48 hours without electricity. We still have running water, although some people are concerned that it may be contaminated by storm-water runoff. The photos I posted in the first post of this topic were from about 3pm-4pm Monday, when the winds in NYC were still intensifying and power was still on. The winds peaked around 8pm or 9pm, and although we never really got a lot of rain, the real problem was the storm surges from the waterways surrounding the city. Around 8:15pm there was a massive explosion at the Con Edision substation that supplies much of lower Manhattan; the power stayed on until 8:45pm, when Con Ed cut everything to protect rapidly-flooding substations and feeder facilities.

I quickly hacked together a bunch of bright flashlights from random batteries, resistors, and white LEDs I had lying around, and pressed a couple of Tupperware containers filled with water into service as diffusers. My friends and roommates and I Went out around 11pm to survey the damage in the deep darkness of entirely-blacked-out lower Manhattan. Caravans of ambulances and civilian vehicles were slowly cruising the avenues, looking for people who needed medical assistance but had no phone service. Small bands of residents like ourselves roamed the streets. Occasional gusts made signs hanging by threads creak ominously, while we detoured around branches and whole trees spread across streets and avenues. We made it to Avenue B (about four or five blocks from the East River), before encountering the rising flood waters, as it was just about high tide. Unable to go any further east, we headed north, where the ConEd employees were stuck evacuating from the flooding plant. We walked around a bit more, to the same ordered chaos, before returning home for toasting bread and Pop-Tarts over our working stove by candlelight.

Yesterday, Tuesday, power remained out all day. Sara and I walked over the East again, and although the water had all receded, people were busy trying to pump out basements entirely filled with water, piles of leaves and garbage were everywhere, cars had floated into the middle of streets. Darkness was everywhere. However, some of NYU's dorms and academic buildings are on an independent CoGen plant completed last year, so we were able to get a hot meal in the residence hall, and I could even get into my office building, although the RFID door lock on my floor had no power. In the evening, as it started to get dark, my girlfriend pressed us to go to New Jersey, to check on her parents who didn't lose power. Although buses started running again, they were packed, so we walked up to the 42nd Street bus station, got a private bus to New Jersey (since NJ Transit buses are not running), and managed to make it. I'm ready to head back as soon as I hear that power has returned to my home. Smile

More pictures and videos coming soon.

Keep the pictures of sandy coming!

In all seriousness, how is NJ doing?
Much less consistent than New York. Some neighborhoods have power, some do not, sometimes even on the per-house granularity. Based on watching the news, the shore pretty much washed away, along with plenty of houses.

Vermont sending help to Connecticut Smile
elfprince13 wrote:

Vermont sending help to Connecticut Smile
Nice picture; good for Vermont! Now Vermont needs to send some help over to NYC, maybe a few competent pumping teams and electricians. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Nice picture; good for Vermont! Now Vermont needs to send some help over to NYC, maybe a few competent pumping teams and electricians. Razz

I suspect NYC has more pumping and electrical experts than we do Razz But we've done our best for you guys in the past - VT ANG were the first protecting your skies after 9/11 Smile
And Vermont State Police deploying to help keep the peace in NJ:
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I suspect NYC has more pumping and electrical experts than we do Razz But we've done our best for you guys in the past - VT ANG were the first protecting your skies after 9/11 Smile
Cool, I didn't know that!

Anyway, I'm back home safe-and-sound with an empty refrigerator and a need to buy lots more groceries. I'm fortunate that that's the extent of the damage, I suppose. And I got some great exercise at my girlfriend's parents' house cleaning leaves, downed tree branches, etc.
Glad your apartment was relatively intact! I noticed your NYC hostmask on IRC and today and figured you were home Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Glad your apartment was relatively intact! I noticed your NYC hostmask on IRC and today and figured you were home Smile
Thanks, good eye on that. Smile I just need to get my bouncer back up and running.
KermMartian wrote:
I just need to get my bouncer back up and running.

Feel free to move it to the dedicated, it's all set up and you just need to make an account, which I could make to start you off.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours