http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/30/14810805-star-wars-7-will-need-the-force-to-be-with-it?

Disney apparently has bought Lucasfilms, and is planning to put the franchise to work. Yes, more episodes, this time not prequels, but rather sequels to the original trilogy. Meaning, an episode VII, VIII, and IX are planned. Specifically, episode VII is planned for 2015 release already.

Thoughts, radical objections, or curses directed at good ol' George himself? I'm personally expecting another prequel-esque set of disasters, with bad acting and reliance of special effects galore. And, of course, poor story writing.
I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one. I mean, they WERE the ones that did the Avengers (since they own Marvel) and they did one heck of a job on it.

I want to know more about what they plan to do, if they are basing it off the books, or off what he had already written as a story. We need that information first before we can make any judgements.

Also, Lucas is just an adviser, he has no ultimate say on anything.
I'm really just hoping that they preserve the EU canon. I'm trusting they can do a good sci-fi movie after the way MCU has been handled. Thankfully George is out of the loop now.
"Existing universe"? I'm at a loss for "MCU," though. Sad Regarding this news, I'm not sure how I feel. I don't really care whether Lucas or Disney has control over the franchise, but I do worry about how thin the series is getting, if spread out over another three movies.
KermMartian wrote:
"Existing universe"? I'm at a loss for "MCU," though. Sad Regarding this news, I'm not sure how I feel. I don't really care whether Lucas or Disney has control over the franchise, but I do worry about how thin the series is getting, if spread out over another three movies.

EU == "Expanded Universe". MCU == "Marvel Cinematic Universe".

Also, apparently they've confirmed that VII-IX will NOT be adapted from Timothy Zahn's Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command) as Star Wars EU fans have basically assumed would be the case since those particular novels were published. There are some rumors that they might take place in the 20 ABY+ era (placing them after almost all of the classic EU novels), possibly coinciding with the New Jedi Order timeframe. This is unconfirmed, but it is now known that they will be working from entirely original material. How this will mesh with existing canon is hard to parse, without knowing if it will be woven through the NJO era, between classic EU and NJO (sandwiched in the 19-25 ABY era), after it, or replace it entirely.
I think this will be the new intro song for Episode 7-9, parting ways with the good ol' classic Star Wars theme that has been used for decades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0lhIegkRYs

And Hannah Montana will play in the movie.

It will (un)intentionally do the exact opposite of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic when it comes to target audiences.

Although there are still possibilities that the movies will be good (and that unlike Lucas, they aren't as demanding for smaller theaters so that I don't need a 1.5 hours long bus drive just to go watch the movie at a theater like with Episode III)
According to one of the comic series, Darth Sidious actually creates clones of himself and when he dies in Return Of The Jedi, he uses a rare and ancient force technique to inhabit his clones.

Check it out on Wookieepedia

Perhaps this could be a potential plot line for the new film?

I would personally like to see the new episode feature Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher like the original trilogy, however they're probably all too old for the job now!
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
According to one of the comic series, Darth Sidious actually creates clones of himself and when he dies in Return Of The Jedi, he uses a rare and ancient force technique to inhabit his clones.

Check it out on Wookieepedia

They've said that it will be an original storyline. Many many fans of the Expanded Universe were hoping to see Grand Admiral Thrawn...

Plans for a new series in the 80s:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours