could someone make an emulator for running luaZM programs? It can be kind of slow to go to and from the physical prizm. Wink
That's one possibility, and honestly something I've considered. I think someone like Jimbauwens made an online Nspire Lua "player", so I might see what he has to say on the subject. Another possibility that needs to happen at some point anyway is an on-Prizm text editor, written in either C or Lua. Someone could start writing it in C now, and I believe that in fact Zeldaking is working on it. Unfortunately, until I finish the IO library in LuaZM, the Lua version is infeasible.
I have an online "player" and SDK (although not public) for TI-Nspire Lua applications, but it needs still a lot of work. I based my work on an existing Lua -> JS converter, which sadly isn't updated anymore. So currently I'm trying to complete the project on my own. The Lua->JS converter is by no means complete. For example many string functions are not available because pattern support isn't available. I've already done work in that area but a lot of work remains.

Now, while LuaZM's API is much less complex than the one of the TI-Nspire, it might be harder or even impossible to implement it. Why ?
The TI-Nspire API is event based, there are no 'blocking' functions. Most LuaZM programs will run in a tight loop, and this is something web browser can not handle (because they are event based). If JavaScript would support something like Lua's coroutines it would be possible, but as it stance I don't know of the existence of such functionality in modern web browsers.

Of course .. you could go another way. Instead of compiling Lua code to JavaScript you could interpret it. Lua has been compiled to JS (with emscripten), and it would be possible to use that. However this will be much much much slower (Trust me, I tried), and much harder to extend.

So, in short: It will be quite some work to get it working (if even possible) :/
How about an offline java emulator?
Oh wait Java ..
Yeah it would be possible in a Java Plugin (although not easy to make) Smile

A standalone program to run LuaZM programs on your PC is also pretty easy.
I second the emulation idea! or 3rd or 50908th; either way it would be very useful!
maybe luazm work with mpoupe simulator, no?
mpoupe made an emulator for prizm?
flyingfisch wrote:
mpoupe made an emulator for prizm?

Kindof. I believe that he set it up so that certain functions were mapped to different ones depending on whether he was building for prizm or pc.

EDIT:

link
He and Tari both made libraries that let you compile Prizm C programs for computers, if I understand correctly, and provide some basic graphics subsystem. Idea: perhaps I could take the ZMG library and simply integrate it into the desktop Lua version, with some OpenGL stuff to make the functions work? I'm not sure how much work something like that would be, to be honest.
Kerm: any updates on this?
No updates. The best thing I could do is write a C ZMG library for regular computer-side Lua. An online emulator would be significantly harder. Also, I think that JimBauwens was considering helping with this project.
Well, i don't really care whether its online or not, i just want a way to get screenshots and also to debug. Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours