Well, it's mid-day Monday, and here in the middle of New York City, Hurricane Sandy hasn't really made much of a dent yet. The grocery stores were packed yesterday with people panic-buying water, bread, and essentials, which I personally think is a bit silly in the middle of a city with underground utilities and solidly-built buildings. Taking a walk around midnight, the city was totally dead, with almost every business closed down and the streets empty. Overnight the only thing that seems to have happened is lots of leaves falling on the ground. Taking a quick walk just now, there's a steady cold drizzle and occasional powerful gusts of winds, plus the Sanitation Department seems to have moved all of their street sweepers and garbage trucks to high ground. Other than that, not much to report yet. How about you guys?

I live in OH and nothing seems to be happening... even though NPR keeps telling us we have a flood warning.
Down here in LI it is a bit worse. So far it is really hard to move around outside and the power went out... twice. I don't think we have too much time before it gets even worse and power goes out for good :/
We're certainly getting some strong winds here in CT, but other than the sky cover it's not much (it's not even raining!)
qazz42 wrote:
Down here in LI it is a bit worse. So far it is really hard to move around outside and the power went out... twice. I don't think we have too much time before it gets even worse and power goes out for good :/
Any interesting photos to share? Is it all wind for now, or are you also getting rain? I'd expect not, since you're not that far from me.
Here in QC, some strong winds, no rain, nothing really. I guess it just begins. Some really strong winds (over 100 kph) forecasted for tonight I think.
It's been raining all morning in Baltimore- the rain's been slowly picking up, as has the windspeed.

So far so good, I suppose, at least on the Hopkins campus. We still have power, but I have no idea if that will last.
Wisconsin is dry and sunny. No wind.
merthsoft wrote:
You don't count, and I saw your snooty status about being happy you got out of New England when you did. Wink Juju: Same here, I think.
My attendance to the APS:Division of Plasma Physics meeting was cancelled Sad No rain or high winds here yet, but they're anticipated to hit sometime in the next 3 or 4 hours. Here at school I'm right on the edge between the high and medium risk zones shown on the maps at Weather.com At home, I'm smack in the center of a high risk zone, but we have a generator, our own water supply, and are well elevated.
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
You don't count, and I saw your snooty status about being happy you got out of New England when you did. Wink Juju: Same here, I think.

Ha, i don't blame him for getting out of New England, the midwest is awesome! Razz
No effects noted in California
I took an hour-ish walk to the East River with my friends; it was crazy out there. And it's getting worse. Photos follow.

Strong winds near the nation's capitol, around 5 inches of rain so far. No power outages in my neighborhood, but there are scattered pockets of outages throughout. We're soon to get 35mph sustained winds with 70mph gusts. Hopefully the lights will be on in the morn'.
cvsoft wrote:
No effects noted in California

+1

In fact, I surprisingly hear Ice Cream Truck music.
It was particularly cold last night, though no wind here really. The day actually warmed up a bit later on. I aced my statistics test.

#Arkansas
Now the wind is really getting serious, although I still see random pedestrians strolling and cabs tooling about.
we're getting heavy rain, but no wind and no lightning.
The wind is just starting to start here. Sounds like it's sprinkling a bit too.
KermMartian wrote:
Now the wind is really getting serious, although I still see random pedestrians strolling and cabs tooling about.
I hope the KermHouse doesn't blow away in the winds. Also, since you are a robot, make a backup of yourself Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours