Cemetech Contest #8 was a big success, with tons of awesome games created, many of which were even featured on community flagship ticalc.org. It's getting to be time for a ninth Cemetech contest. I plan to start it at the beginning of November, and have it go through early January, to give our more procrastinating members time to finish their entries during winter break. However, we need a subject and constraints!

I was originally planning on a pure z80 ASM constraint with no particular topic. What do you all think of that? Counter-proposals?
throw in pure sh4a asm for kicks Razz
How about:
BASIC Games
BASIC Utils
ASM Games
ASM Utils
AXE Parser Games
AXE Parser Utils
AXE Parser Libs

edit:
I don't like the idea of just Z80 ASM because what about the people who don't know ASM and want to participate.
spud2451 wrote:
How about:
BASIC Games
BASIC Utils
ASM Games
ASM Utils
AXE Parser Games
AXE Parser Utils
AXE Parser Libs
Way, way too broad. We'd end up with default winners in each category. First of all, we should limit it to either games (and a particular genre of game) or a particular type of non-game. For example, either only space-shooter games or only 'AI' chat programs. I guess we really should have an Axe category, considering how popular that is, especially around Omnimaga. So three categories: BASIC/Lua (TI/Prizm), ASM (TI/Prizm), and Axe (TI), with one genre constraint.
I would go against those choices simply because contest #8 covered them. Besides, ASM projects can always have fun and unusual outcomes, especially when time and effort is put into them with a dash of creativity. (Especially if someone makes a game in sh4a asm Wink )

@Spud: Look at it the other way around: Not everyone here can use AXE or BASIC. Look at GlassOS (which if ASM is allowed, I will probably make something for it as it needs love)
I think that that the constraint should be block games. How do you like that idea Kerm?
What are "block games"?
Lua/BASIC (interpreted), Axe/C (compiled), and Assembly should be our language categories. As far as genre goes, I don't have any particular thoughts at the moment.
I don't think having a pure z80 language constraint is a good idea. I'm liking Elfprince's suggestions, and I think having a contest on utilities would be a nice contrast from the arcade games last year.
merthsoft wrote:
What are "block games"?

Probably like blockdude, minicraft stuff with blocks.
krazylegodrummer56 wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
What are "block games"?

Probably like blockdude, minicraft stuff with blocks.

I'm very, very against such restraints -- two reasons being that this "blocks" motif is (what I see as) an attractive trait to those who play Minecraft and similar games, but nothing more; this theme would inhibit much creativity, and I personally would shy away from participating (as I'm sure many other potential entrants would.)

As for what I'd suggest for a similar inhibitor, would possibly be a set block on genres allowed; maybe "Adventure" or "Puzzle" games only?
I suggest asm only, including SH and z80 asm.
Personally I'd want to see how far someone can push BASIC. But maybe we can have a BASIC games, BASIC Misc, ASM/AXE games, ASM/AXE misc.
I feel that Axe and Asm should be in the same category because they're both pretty flexible in what you can do. (if you know what you're doing)
Here's a list of the contests so far
  1. No topic found - Pure BASIC from the looks of #2 and #3
  2. Strategy, pure BASIC
  3. 3D, pure BASIC
  4. platformer/sidescroller - BASIC and ASM
  5. Nop - no topic found
  6. Utilities - Pure BASIC, hybrid, and pure ASM entries
  7. a Doors CS-themed contest, challenges BASIC, ASM, and Axe programmers
  8. Arcade games - BASIC, hybrid, AXE, etc. - BASIC and C for prizm - linux/windows games
  9. TBD

So far, there has been one pure asm contest that was graded separately from hybrids and BASIC. I still vote that we have an ASM for both z80 and sh4a that doesn't mix in non-pure ASM entries. Sure, have BASIC in there, but don't grade AXE programs with pure ASM programs.
eeek! My apologies. I didn't mean it that way.
But while a pure Asm contest is indeed a great idea, I still feel like Asm is mostly a language for those who've invested copious amounts of time because it takes quite a bit of time and effort to be proficient. Maybe we can make #9 similar to #4 but with a different topic?
When contest #4 occurred, hybrid programs were not allowed. Besides, this contest seems like it will be very long, so pure asm will seem like a nice idea. Besides, how many pure sh4a games are there?
I'd like to see a contest where we have to plug into some other piece of software, such as an AI contest. Coupled with one or two ASM programs that send and recieve data over CALCnet2.2, I could see BASIC, Axe, and ASM categories for a utility that plugs into an online CALCnet utility for its input and output, and the AIs would battle it out on the internet utility.
Hmmm..... I don't really have a preference on what the category for this is. I'm hoping it will include a programming language that I know. Smile
I think Compynerd might have the coolest idea yet. I'm trying to think if I already came up with an idea for something that would be really cool over gCn, but I definitely like the idea of creating a BASIC CALCnet adapter program plus a gCn hub that would return some sort of specific data. Oooh, actually, the idea of distributed computing has been brought up again, so what if the gCn hub would expose some sort of data for computation, and the challenge would be to write a program that could fetch the data, crunch it, and return the result?
^^ Same. If i can enter, i probably will.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours