comicIDIOT wrote:
My phone is a 32GB and I have 30GB's to use and 28 available to the user. Meaning, 2GB's lost due to the way bytes are counted and another 2GB's to the OS. But maybe you're viewing one partition of the Nexus 7.

Bingo.

The "8GB" tablet isn't 8GB available to you, as a user. It's 8GB of flash memory, and whatever the OS partition doesn't take you can have. I don't know off hand what the size of the Nexus 7's system partition is, but 512mb sounds likely, possibly 1GB. This is fixed and never changes.

DShiznit wrote:
Edit- I just checked out the interal storage via my computer, I still cannot account for the missing space. Everything I found there was supposed to be there. Furthermore, all of the stuff I can view added together does not equal the amount of space it says is being used. I do have my computer set to view hidden files and folders.

http://imageshack.us/a/img207/8546/andhalp.png

The window on the right is all the folders(and one file) on the drive selected. As you can see, there's about 1.02 GB unaccounted for.

Your computer will never show you all the data, not unless you are looking via a tool like ADB, but even then you need root access. The reason is that when you plug in your device, it only exposes the "external" storage of the device. This is basically the global dumping ground for your data. Everything is more or less "public" in this folder in that it does not have per-folder permissions and sandboxing like the rest of the Android file system does.

The difference you are seeing comes from the fact that apps, their data, and their caches all are on a completely different part of the filesystem that is not exposed to you directly.

However, if you had gone to settings -> storage you would have seen it broken down by category. "Apps" is your installed apps and their private data - this you can reclaim by uninstalling apps. The other interesting one is "Cached data", which is near the bottom. If you tap on it you can bulk clear the cache of all your apps. Theoretically this is safe, and the cache is similar to the temp files on your computer.

As for why you couldn't install, afaik the size listed in the play store is the size you have to download, not necessarily the size it needs on the device which may be larger.
Kllrnohj wrote:
However, if you had gone to settings -> storage you would have seen it broken down by category. "Apps" is your installed apps and their private data - this you can reclaim by uninstalling apps. The other interesting one is "Cached data", which is near the bottom. If you tap on it you can bulk clear the cache of all your apps. Theoretically this is safe, and the cache is similar to the temp files on your computer.

I did exactly that, which was when I first noticed the discrepancy. When I added up everything thing it had calculated as using space, it came up 1 gig short of the total amount it was reporting was used. That is why I was concerned. After resetting though I seem to have gotten that space back, so its not a big deal anymore.

I'd also like to state for the record that I am well aware that an 8 gig card doesn't actually have 8 gigs of usable storage. From what I understand though, the OS and junk take up a separate partition on the card that isn't even visible to Windows in the first place(which is why it reports the total amount of space as ~6 gigs instead of the 7.6-something a regular chip would have).
DShiznit wrote:
I'd also like to state for the record that I am well aware that an 8 gig card doesn't actually have 8 gigs of usable storage. From what I understand though, the OS and junk take up a separate partition on the card that isn't even visible to Windows in the first place(which is why it reports the total amount of space as ~6 gigs instead of the 7.6-something a regular chip would have).

As I said, Windows won't see most of the space - Windows only gets access to a single folder on the file system, and that folder doesn't contain all those big apps you downloaded, for example.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

As I said, Windows won't see most of the space - Windows only gets access to a single folder on the file system, and that folder doesn't contain all those big apps you downloaded, for example.

Actually I'm pretty sure it does, but only because the big parts of those apps are downloaded separately and stored on the internal memory card.

Anyway, I was having issues earlier with the tablet not receiving inputs consistently after running for a short while, but they seem to have been corrected by the 4.1.2 update. I really like that I get regular system updates, it makes me feel special and makes my parents(whose gingerbread phones haven't been updated ever) jealous.
I got a 4.1.2 OTA update notification this morning on my Nexus (Phone), so I know how you feel

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours