As useful as calculators are as a platform for learning programming, for math and science, and as miniature computers, they'll never stray far from their widespread use as gaming devices. From the earliest monochome graphing calculators with low-resolution screens to today's advanced color-screen calculators, games are the perennial "Killer App" for these devices. Students across the world, looking for something fun to do during downtime, inevitably turn to their calculators. Not to keep them bereft of new titles, I would like to present two polished games from Cemetech members, one by recently-returned prodigal son James Vernon, the other a port by Spenceboy98 from previous work by the single-named Nick.

Alien Breed 5 by James Vernon, shown in the screenshot at right below, is a "top-down 8-way scrolling shoot-em-up" (there's a mouthful). It is a remake of a popular Amiga game, complete with 12 levels, tons of weapons and enemies, and fast-paced fun. James was kind enough to return to the community in June 2012 and to start a topic about AB5's development on the Cemetech forum. We watched with rapt attention as he finished the game off at an unprecedented pace, and he has now released this TI-83+/TI-84+ game in the Cemetech archives and elsewhere on the internet. We congratulate him on this excellent game, which has been featured along with an accompanying interview on ticalc.org.

Bloxorz, a Lua game for the LuaZM Lua interpreter for the Casio Prizm, is a sixteen-level isometric 3D puzzle game. You flip an oblong block along a series of platforms, trying to get it into a marked hole while avoiding falling off the edges. To make things more interesting, later levels are studded with buttons that make bridges and platforms appear or disappear. Spenceboy98 ported this from a TI-Nspire game by user Nick, who in turn adapted it from a popular Flash game. You need only LuaZM and an fx-CG10/fx-CG20 to play this game.

Downloads
Alien Breed 5 [TI-83+/TI-84+]
Bloxorz for LuaZM [Prizm/fx-CG10/fx-CG20]

Awesome work on AB5! Smile And I didn't realize that LuaZM was game-ready already! Nice work all around! Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
Awesome work on AB5! Smile And I didn't realize that LuaZM was game-ready already! Nice work all around! Smile
Finally, a response! Very Happy Yes, I'm very impressed by AB5, and I'm excited to hear from chatting with JamesV on #cemetech/SAX that he has a few improvements on AB5 and a whole new game project up his sleeve for the moderate to long-term future. Regarding LuaZM, Spenceboy has ported two Nspire games to LuaZM so far, a raycaster (!) and Bloxorz.
I would download the block game if it came with a level creator.
Sarah wrote:
Then you should write a level creator for it! Or we could request that Spenceboy do the honors, should he have the time and inclination. He's constantly complaining of being bored, so that would be a good challenge for him.
KermMartian wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Then you should write a level creator for it! Or we could request that Spenceboy do the honors, should he have the time and inclination. He's constantly complaining of being bored, so that would be a good challenge for him.

Maybe I should... We'll see....
It would certainly be something to keep you occupied in between your Tunnel and Breakout work! Be sure to keep us updated on your progress on those, of course.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours