Alright, I'm very new to graphing calculators. I've only had my 84 for about 2 weeks. I've got some basic games, but plan on getting some assembly games. I remember reading somewhere that the 84 comes with the ability for assembly games. Does this mean if an 83 game says I need ION or MirageOS, I actually don't need it because I have an 84?
no, you will still need ION or MOS if they assembly game says it requires it
that is correct, whatever is required on an 83+, you will need it on an 84+
Welcome, foamy!
ASM programs are possible on every calculator from the 73 to the 86. There are two varieties of ASM programs, which are essentially the same but must be run differently. Regular, TI-OS ASM programs can be run using the Asm( command in the Catalog (2nd-0). However, most games and such require Ion, MirageOS, Doors CS, or a similar "shell" to function. You can download all of these at http://www.ticalc.org . Hope this helps.
Oh, okay. Thank you!
No prob. It's actually a common misconception. Smile
I would particularly recommend the following:
-Phoenix (any version)
-ZTetris
-Acelgoyobis (If you have any problems with the levels, just pm or email one of us)
-Gemini 83+ (huge program, but it's worth it)
All of these require MirageOS.
Welcome to the TI community! Smile
Actually, those can all be run by any Ion-compatible shell, such as MOS, Ion, Doors CS, etc. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, those can all be run by any Ion-compatible shell, such as MOS, Ion, Doors CS, etc. Smile

ION takes ram, DCS takes RAM

MOS doesn't (and i find its the most noob friendly, and easiest to run/install - since its only 1 file, and its an APP)
Exactly why I recommended it. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

ION takes ram, DCS takes RAM

MOS doesn't (and I find its the most noob friendly, and easiest to run/install - since its only 1 file, and its an APP)

...soon to be untrue as of v5.5 Smile
Kuro wrote:
I would particularly recommend the following:
-Phoenix (any version)
-ZTetris
-Acelgoyobis (If you have any problems with the levels, just pm or email one of us)
-Gemini 83+ (huge program, but it's worth it)
All of these require MirageOS.
Welcome to the TI community! Smile

use ZTris instead...works better
Aye, true. Now if only I could fix Ion running in DCS...
I haven't tried ZTris, so I woldn't know. I'm busy making my own Tetris to worry about pitiful little ASM versions. Very Happy
Kuro wrote:
I haven't tried ZTris, so I woldn't know. I'm busy making my own Tetris to worry about pitiful little ASM versions. Very Happy

using what language? Basic? C?
BASIC. Very Happy
It's nothing like the other imitations that have come out. The code structure is entirely different.
Now I thought Ion wasn't compatible on the 84+? Confused

Not the games, just Ion itself...?
I really don't know, I never use Ion anyways. I would think it would be compatible, though. There's really no reason why it shouldn't be.
TI-Freak8x wrote:
Now I thought Ion wasn't compatible on the 84+? Confused

Not the games, just Ion itself...?

Actually, I had forgotten, you're absolutely right about that. *sigh*
As far as I know DCS is 100% compatible though.
Yay, I was right! Laughing Smile

As far as I know dcs is, I had no problems running it on my 84+...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours