So when I was trying to run calcwars using ttstart("calcwars"), I got an "Address Error" and my calculator will not respond to any keypresses. I tried taking out the batteries. Same thing. Any solutions?
clrhome's crash guide may help you sort out what went wrong/how to unb0rk your calc. (Note that that guide is written for the 83 series, but many of the same principles are the same).
When the calculator is on, press and hold [2nd] [left] [right]. Tap [ON] and the calculator should reset. Archived variables will be retained.

If that doesn't work, a more drastic method:
Remove an AAA battery. Press and hold [ (-) ] [ ) ] (negative, close-paren). When the battery is reinserted, tap [ON] and then let go of the other two keys. This will factory-reset, including all archived variables.
seana11 wrote:
clrhome's crash guide may help you sort out what went wrong/how to unb0rk your calc. (Note that that guide is written for the 83 series, but many of the same principles are the same).
No, it's actually not in this case.

Do what Chronomex did, Hans, and welcome back to Cemetech.
Alright. The problem is fixed, but I really want to play Calcwars. Is there any way I could run it without using ttstart since it obviously freezes my calc?
HansVolkerstein wrote:
Alright. The problem is fixed, but I really want to play Calcwars. Is there any way I could run it without using ttstart since it obviously freezes my calc?
I must admit that I've done even less game-playing on my calculator than I've done 68K BASIC programming, but perhaps another shell like DoorsOS might do the trick?
KermMartian wrote:
HansVolkerstein wrote:
I must admit that I've done even less game-playing on my calculator than I've done 68K BASIC programming, but perhaps another shell like DoorsOS might do the trick?

Well based on my two minute research there is this one program with a name similar to "tictstart" with an intriguing GUI, but I don't have that much experience with 68k hacking.
And according to TICT:
Quote:
TTStart v2.00 for the TI89/TI92+/V200 is a generic program launcher which can be used to start any program (exepacked or not) on AMS versions up to 3.10 without the need of installing a kernel or the HWPatch
So it's not really a shell that you need, so much as a simple program launcher. From what I'm hearing others say, it seems unlikely that ttstart itself would be at fault here. Can I presume you already tried re-sending the files in case they got corrupted somehow?
KermMartian wrote:
And according to TICT:
Quote:
TTStart v2.00 for the TI89/TI92+/V200 is a generic program launcher which can be used to start any program (exepacked or not) on AMS versions up to 3.10 without the need of installing a kernel or the HWPatch
So it's not really a shell that you need, so much as a simple program launcher. From what I'm hearing others say, it seems unlikely that ttstart itself would be at fault here. Can I presume you already tried re-sending the files in case they got corrupted somehow?

It could be a possibility. I'll try it the next time I have access to a PC.
Don't worry, completely bricking a TI-68k calculator or TI-Z80 calculator is hard Smile

The newest ttstart versions are not known to crash TI-68k calculators.
Even though I'm maintaining ttstart, I've been using the SuperStart FlashApp, by Greg Dietsche (with some code and tests of mine), for many years on my calculator. I'm advocating to use sstart instead of ttstart, as it has features that ttstart cannot have (or at least, not easily):
* sstart has a lower RAM consumption because, as a FlashApp, it executes from Flash, unlike ttstart;
* sstart is much bigger than ttstart, but it usually occupies an area of memory, in the sector(s) reserved to FlashApps, that would be otherwise unused; ttstart takes up a bit of space (~1 KB) in archive memory. If the FlashApp sectors aren't empty enough for a ~5.4 KB application to be written there, however, sstart will appear to consume 64 KB of Flash memory, but that doesn't occur very often.
* the integration with the home screen line is nice to have; it's harder to do it with ASM programs, because there needs to be a TSR part, and TSRs (like program launching) are a mild pain, due to the silly RAM execution protection that TI put into the ASIC. On the 89T, using HW3Patch or equivalent (say, an OS modified on the computer side by tiosmod+amspatch) is mandatory for TSRs.

Bottom line: you should use SuperStart Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours