This is for all those akward moments in programming, including classes.. Like your teacher saying turning a string into a number wont be taught until the next College course, then you mildly ask if Val( is just the easy way to do it.

the silence from him was rather funny. ;D
O_O what class are you in?
Intro to computer science. comp sci 1010. Bassically learning Selection and loops, the very basic stuff you need to know. Using C++ as the language.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
Intro to computer science. comp sci 1010. Bassically learning Selection and loops, the very basic stuff you need to know. Using C++ as the language.

No wonder he was silent -- C++ doesn't have the "Val(" function, so he probably thought you were spewing nonsense. It would be atoi() with C(++). So I guess it's still an awkward programming experience anyways! Laughing
Actually I asked if C++ Had a function like Val( Does for Visual Basic. after some silence he said yes i think it is Val( in C++ as well. the silence was funny though. took him quite a while to think abuot it..
The most awkward programming moment for me was when I had finally ironed out all the bugs in a program for a client only to find out he had commissioned another person to do it...
Now that sucks..
That time when I abused the .desktop launcher file specification and Python to get my friend's computer launching a new (random) xkcd window at 10-20 second intervals (including autolaunching from one of several different locations on reboot/logout and copying to replace when one was deleted), and then forgetting all of the places I had set it up to hide in when he wanted help clearing it out.
Haha. that sounds pretty funny. Very Happy
Ashbad wrote:
No wonder he was silent -- C++ doesn't have the "Val(" function, so he probably thought you were spewing nonsense. It would be atoi() with C(++). So I guess it's still an awkward programming experience anyways! 0x5

atoi is the C way to do it, and it's kind of broken.

The C++ way would be include sstream, and use "istringstream ( str ) >> numb;"
I think the most awkward instance I know was a story I heard about a student in a class someone was TA'ing posting an ad for doing his homework on a freelance programming board. The professor found it and saved it, and the resulting work ($70 worth, if I recall) was horribly bad. The student was duly disciplined.
KermMartian wrote:
I think the most awkward instance I know was a story I heard about a student in a class someone was TA'ing posting an ad for doing his homework on a freelance programming board. The professor found it and saved it, and the resulting work ($70 worth, if I recall) was horribly bad. The student was duly disciplined.

That's excellent.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours