That latter thing has already been done by Brandon Wilson as a Shell Expansion named Jerry. You can grab it here in the archives: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=485

You're welcome to start a topic about any of this stuff; I think we're hijacking an ancient an unrelated topic here. That's generally called necroposting and/or topic hijacking, and is discouraged. Smile
Oh, sorry about that!

I'll make a new topic now.
Back to DoorsCS:

What is DoorsCS, exactly?
I've heard that its a calculator shell, but what exactly defines a "shell"? Isn't it more of a very advanced ASM program?

I was also wondering if there could be two versions of Doors: DoorsCS and DoorsOS.

Like, DoorsOS could be a real OS that you can put on your calc to replace Ti-OS. DoorsOS could have all or at least most (or even more) of the same functions that Ti-OS has, and the home screen is the regular DoorsCS screen. There could be like, really good USB drivers and keyboard drivers integrated into the OS, and maybe even a really good version of Gossamer and calcNet or something built-in... but I guess I'm talking about YEARS of work!
GinDiamond wrote:
Back to DoorsCS:

What is DoorsCS, exactly?
I've heard that its a calculator shell, but what exactly defines a "shell"? Isn't it more of a very advanced ASM program?

Well, a shell is really just a program that can run other programs, if I remember correctly. Doors just adds tons of functionality such as ASM/Ion/MirageOS/DoorsCS program support, a cool GUI, etc.
A shell, by definition, is a program that runs other programs. It can be a command-line shell, like DOS or bash, or it can be a graphical shell, like Doors CS or Windows Explorer or Gnome. A complex ASM program is just a complex ASM program unless it can at least run programs, and in most cases also browse the device's file system and modify files and file settings.

I have been asked many times about turning Doors CS into a full operating system, and my response is invariably that the number of people who would actually use such a thing versus the massive amount of time it would take me to write just doesn't make it worth my while. It would be a Sisyphean undertaking, and though I feel I currently have the skills to make it a reality, maintaining Doors CS itself is a thankless and fiddly enough task already.
I just thought that a DoorsOS would be freaking cool. I would use it!
KermMartian wrote:
A shell, by definition, is a program that runs other programs. It can be a command-line shell, like DOS or bash, or it can be a graphical shell, like Doors CS or Windows Explorer or Gnome. A complex ASM program is just a complex ASM program unless it can at least run programs, and in most cases also browse the device's file system and modify files and file settings.

I have been asked many times about turning Doors CS into a full operating system, and my response is invariably that the number of people who would actually use such a thing versus the massive amount of time it would take me to write just doesn't make it worth my while. It would be a Sisyphean undertaking, and though I feel I currently have the skills to make it a reality, maintaining Doors CS itself is a thankless and fiddly enough task already.

Sad that you're feeling so down about Doors! I did notice that an update seemed to not be coming. That is sad, however. I am a huge fan of Doors CS, as you know, and in fact my first email to you was about how wonderful DoorsCS is. I also think it would be a great thing if DCS7 became an OS (despite the fact that that would make it DOS). And I hereby thank you for making DoorsCS. Here, have a calculator as a token of my appriciation: TI-84+ SE
Doors CS 7 Good Idea
It's mostly because the remaining issues to solve before Doors CS 7.2 is complete are almost all USB/gCn related, and those are extremely frustrating to debug. Don't worry, I haven't given up entirely on it.
Okay, so we'll still get a DoorsCS 8 or something?
GinDiamond wrote:
Okay, so we'll still get a DoorsCS 8 or something?
At least a Doors CS 7.2. After that, I have only a handful of bytes left in 48KB, so a Doors CS 8 would either have to rip out existing features to add new ones, or just be an incremental release. At this point I'm not even sure there's a need for a Doors CS 8 for the z80 TI calculators. A Doors CS for the Prizm is entirely not off the table, though.
Oh, okay.

I was just wondering, because it would be kind of cool if you could somehow improve upon the design, like make it faster, more compatible with the calcs, and maybe have more compression ratios or something.

But yeah, I can see what you mean about not really needing a DoorsCS 8.

A DoorsCS for the Prizm or Ti-Nspire CX/CAS would be freaking EPIC, though!
GinDiamond wrote:

A DoorsCS for Ti-Nspire CX/CAS would be freaking EPIC, though!
What would DoorsCS for the CX CAS do ? You already have an interface with a mouse, you can already run C programs with Ndless like if they were normal documents, you can already sort your files in folders, etc. So what would this do ?

GinDiamond wrote:
I was just wondering, because it would be kind of cool if you could somehow improve upon the design, like make it faster, more compatible with the calcs, and maybe have more compression ratios or something.

My classmates really want a light version of DCS. All they need are the homerun hook, the Ion libs and the MirageOS libs, they don't have space for anything else Sad
Hayleia wrote:
GinDiamond wrote:

What would DoorsCS for the CX CAS do ? You already have an interface with a mouse, you can already run C programs with Ndless like if they were normal documents, you can already sort your files in folders, etc. So what would this do ?

It would be DoorsCS. Isn't that good enough? Smile

Hayleia wrote:

GinDiamond wrote:

My classmates really want a light version of DCS. All they need are the homerun hook, the Ion libs and the MirageOS libs, they don't have space for anything else Sad

Perhaps they should consider actually not having TI-83+, and get a TI-84+/SE. Of course you will run out of space on a TI-83+, but not on any of the others!
It's still only three of the ten pages on a TI-83+, and it gives you all the features of older Doors CS versions, MirageOS, xLIB, Celtic, PicArc, Noshell, and part of Omnicalc in a single App. Smile So I consider it a good space investment.
KermMartian wrote:
It's still only three of the ten pages on a TI-83+, and it gives you all the features of older Doors CS versions, MirageOS, xLIB, Celtic, PicArc, Noshell, and part of Omnicalc in a single App. Smile So I consider it a good space investment.

Not for them. First of all, in France we need to waste another page for the Français app (to translate menus into French). So with DCS, there are only 6 pages remaining. But most of all, none of my classmates need xLib, Celtic, PicArc and Omnicalc. They really only need the homerun hook, Ion libs and MirageOS libs (and Noshell libs, if I can say so) to be able to launch almost all types of programs.

CalebHansberry wrote:
Hayleia wrote:
GinDiamond wrote:

It would be DoorsCS. Isn't that good enough? Smile

True Wink

CalebHansberry wrote:

Hayleia wrote:

GinDiamond wrote:

Perhaps they should consider actually not having TI-83+, and get a TI-84+/SE. Of course you will run out of space on a TI-83+, but not on any of the others!

Of course they should. But in France, most people don't think a lot before buying a calc. This is why most of them have a 82 Stats.fr (because it is cheaper) which is the worst you can get from the memory point of view (and from other points of view too). So I am not even trying to explain them that they should have bought a SE.
Oh, and one thing!

On the lower right corner of the DCS screen, which icon is the memory meter and which one is the battery meter? I can't figure out which one is what.

Also, I don't think my battery meter is working right...
The battery meter looks like a battery. The memory meter looks like a chip of some kind.
Well, for some reason, the battery meter doesn't work. My calc said "Low Battery" even though the meter didn't register it.
GinDiamond wrote:
Well, for some reason, the battery meter doesn't work. My calc said "Low Battery" even though the meter didn't register it.
You're probably on a non-TI-83+. Doors CS uses the contrast of the LCD to detect the current battery level, something that I plan to improve in Doors CS 7.2 (or perhaps already did) on the non-TI-83+ calculators.
Okay.

I have a suggestion:

is it possible to increase the contrast of the cursor? Like, make it blacker? Or is that not quite possible for a 1-bit register?
(by the way, does each pixel on the LCD have a 1 bit register, on and off?)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours