What is Hybrid BASIC exactly?
Can I program a game in Hybrid directly on my calc, or do I need a special editor?

Is it faster than regular Ti-BASIC?
Hybrid BASIC runs at the same speed as regular TI-BASIC, but it gives you additional features that supplement the ones already provided to you. For instance, you can read and write to programs/appvars, or run arbitrary assembly code, set flags, etc.

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=SDK#BASIC
yeah, like souvik said, Hybrid BASIC is just regular TI-basic, but using special asm programs or libraries to do some things better, faster, or easier.
Good details from everyone so far. The primary advantage of hybrid BASIC is that it brings some of the power of ASM with only a tiny bit of extra complexity. You can create fancier, faster graphics, manipulate data files, and access archived items (among many other things). Check out the Third-Party Libraries and DCSB Libs pages under the section Souvik linked to. The downside is that you must have a shell or library (Doors CS includes all the major ones) on your calculator to run a Hybrid BASIC program, as do your users.
Are there any really good tutorials for Hybrid basic? Like, examples of the code and commands in action (like games)? I feel that I learn languages better if I can see how they work real-time and code them myself by copying somebody else's.

In fact, is there a really good Ti-BASIC IDE with syntax highlighting and such?
GinDiamond wrote:
Are there any really good tutorials for Hybrid basic? Like, examples of the code and commands in action (like games)? I feel that I learn languages better if I can see how they work real-time and code them myself by copying somebody else's.

In fact, is there a really good Ti-BASIC IDE with syntax highlighting and such?
Well, SourceCoder 2 + jsTIfied is an IDE, and you can test your code in realtime, but it doesn't have syntax highlighting. Merth's TokenIDE does syntax highlighting, but you have to save your program and drag it into jsTIfied or to your calculator each time you want to test your changes. Of course, you can also just code and test on your calculator, since you write hybrid BASIC in the BASIC editor.
One issue is that there are several ASM libs for BASIC programs, such as Doors CS BASIC libs (backward compatible with xLIB APP, some Omnicalc commands and Celtic III), Codex, Zapi, Zsprite, BASIC Tools (can be split), PRGMTools, along with some Axe Parser animation programs that can be used in BASIC. Making a tutorial for all of them would definitively be hard, although I guess it would be feasible.

I made a few hybrid BASIC games several years ago (Reuben Quest, xLIB xLIB Revolution, Zelda: Dark Link Quest, Metroid II: Evolution, etc) long before xLIB APP, Celtic III and DCS7 existed, in which you can possibly find some examples of library code in action, although it has been so long since I used them that I don't think I would remember what they do myself. Some are also not good examples of good (hybrid) TI-BASIC programming in terms of optimizing code. XD
Thanks!

I'll try the TokenIDE!

Are there any games written in Hybrid BASIC?
GinDiamond wrote:
Thanks!

I'll try the TokenIDE!

Are there any games written in Hybrid BASIC?
Yes, including all of the ones that DJ_O just mentioned. Oddly enough, I'm having difficulty finding his ticalc.org profile. I also created a few small hybrid BASIC programs that take specific advantage of the DCSB Libs (among the other libraries, such as:

DCSBL Race
DCSQuad Solver
You made a quadratic solver??? Shock
KermMartian wrote:
Merth's TokenIDE does syntax highlighting, but you have to save your program and drag it into jsTIfied or to your calculator each time you want to test your changes. Of course, you can also just code and test on your calculator, since you write hybrid BASIC in the BASIC editor.
Or any other emulator... I generally use Wabbit.
The advantage TokenIDE has over doing on the calculator is that it shows the actual functions, so DrawSprite( instead of real(23 or w/e it is. Ti Freakware has some good tutorials. Here are some xLib ones. xLib is the big-name in Hybrid, as well as Celtic and DoorsCS. Keep in mind, if you have DoorsCS installed on your calculator (as you should), then you won't need the xLib or Celtic applications installed as well.
However, doing it on the real calc == must learn to backup progress every few hour (or every few days if you work slowly).

Like in ASM, Axe, Grammer and even while coding pure TI-BASIC (2 byte token glitch), certain calc crashes can cause a RAM clear.
DJ_O wrote:
However, doing it on the real calc == must learn to backup progress every few hour (or every few days if you work slowly).

Like in ASM, Axe, Grammer and even while coding pure TI-BASIC (2 byte token glitch), certain calc crashes can cause a RAM clear.
Very true. However, to some extent Celtic III and xLIB, and to an even greater extent the versions of all the libs (including Celtic and xLIB) included in Doors CS, take great pains to handle as many failure cases as possible and mitigate damage. Some are unavoidable, such as if you accidentally use the byte-copying routines to rampage over important portions of RAM.
You guys are scaring me about byte-copying and infinite loops screwing your calcs.

Any idea how to NOT do that?
Well, it's possible to wreck stuff in any programming language, but you're fairly safe in BASIC, even Hybrid. The worst that can happen unless you're actively trying to destroy things is a memory clear. Infinite loops aren't a big deal, you just have to break them by pressing ON.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours