Lemme just pop In here, my summer consisted of nothing at first, then found this forum, bought a prizm and I've started working on an enduro port from iPad to prizm! Also I got some learning about Lua, BASIC, and C. So for me it was eventful Very Happy. Also I learned l.o.l is 0x5 and apparently that's hexadecimal for 101
The_Coded wrote:
Lemme just pop In here, my summer consisted of nothing at first, then found this forum, bought a prizm and I've started working on an enduro port from iPad to prizm! Also I got some learning about Lua, BASIC, and C. So for me it was eventful Very Happy. Also I learned l.o.l is 0x5 and apparently that's hexadecimal for 101
Exactly! I'm glad that you found us and that we're leading you on the valiant path towards becoming a programmer. I look forward to your work with LuaZM.
I can't say I put in practice all the projects I had planned for this summer, and my to-do list only seemed to increase.

I was hoping to get some more progress on my Prizm projects, but because of to the problems I ran into, I lost my motivation a bit. Also, time flies even at 94.3 MHz Wink .
I must say I was also expecting to see more Prizm add-ins released (not just games), but I can't blame anyone as we're just having fun, this is by no means our job Smile

I also planned to manage to hack my cheap Android tablet a bit more. However, I only found (very outdated) sources for the Linux kernel and uboot running on its strange CPU now in the end of my holidays (and there's no hacker community for my tablet's model other than me and a couple more guys who didn't do much progress). Not great return on this field either, and looks like the crappy thing will keep running Android 2.2 on an inefficient kernel.

Another thing I was hoping for was getting Android running on my old HTC Blue Angel, originally running Windows Mobile 2003 and now updated to 6.5 (which is also getting obsolete). This is something that's not on my hands, and anyway the developer d-two at XDA did an awesome job, but a stable release is nowhere to be seen (can't blame either, as it's yet another thing being done voluntarily).

Regarding my projects and to-dos on the internet... I promised myself I'd move tny.im to another server in order to be able to update the one where it is currently running from Debian 5 to 6 (and also switch Apache for Nginx like I did on my other websites ages ago), and then move it back after the update. This is yet another thing I didn't mark as complete on my to-do list, so Debian 5 and Apache will have to keep running on there for some more months.

Instead of doing a server move and update, I even ended up having to restore a server: the dedicated server where the VPS that hosts my blog is hosted had a HDD failure and everything was lost. This means I had to restore Wordpress (fortunately, this time I had recent backups (!)) on my VPS. This happened just yesterday, fortunately it wasn't much of an hassle.
This summer, the only successful topic I accomplished on my long list of "things that would be awesome if I did but I'm likely not going to do" was the launching of the tny. internet media group, which is basically a brand under which I and a couple more friends will launch our projects from on now.

Put simply, these were yet another summer holidays full of promises-to-self and project ideas that never got put in practice. If only these holidays lasted one more month...
Time to go back to school and use my Prizm for more serious things, I guess Smile
KermMartian wrote:
The_Coded wrote:
Exactly! I'm glad that you found us and that we're leading you on the valiant path towards becoming a programmer. I look forward to your work with LuaZM.

Indeed! I was told after class started that calcs weren't allowed at our college (graphing). But I get by by showing them the games and Lua and told them it doesn't function as a calc now just a mobile dev platform :p. but the family was miffed that I paid $100 for "nothing" however it's really SOMETHING to find these uses for it, plus next summer if I can do these conversions for Lua, I can show the school and take Lua or c programming courses!!!
KermMartian wrote:
Did you get any publications and/or good future research connections out of your work at Princeton?

I think I made a good number of good connections. Also, I'll be presenting at the APS Division of Plasma Physics meeting in October during the undergraduate poster session Smile

Quote:
best of luck with it! Any idea where you want to go and what you want to major in?

MIT is probably my top choice, but schools in the northeast more broadly. I think I'm leaning towards CS at this point (perhaps with a scientific computing + algorithms focus).
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Did you get any publications and/or good future research connections out of your work at Princeton?

I think I made a good number of good connections. Also, I'll be presenting at the APS Division of Plasma Physics meeting in October during the undergraduate poster session Smile
Congrats, sounds like another way to continue to build your connections.

Quote:
Quote:
best of luck with it! Any idea where you want to go and what you want to major in?

MIT is probably my top choice, but schools in the northeast more broadly. I think I'm leaning towards CS at this point (perhaps with a scientific computing + algorithms focus).
Neat! You should totally come to NYU. Wink

So now that the Torque engine is open-source, does that mean Freebuild using the Torque engine instead of your custom engine can accelerate? Or are you still planning to go for the custom engine?
Quote:
Neat! You should totally come to NYU. Wink

It's absolutely on the radar.

Quote:
So now that the Torque engine is open-source, does that mean Freebuild using the Torque engine instead of your custom engine can accelerate? Or are you still planning to go for the custom engine?

Torque, absolutely. I haven't been working on the custom engine in quite some time (though Torque required a good deal of modification to support the necessary file types), but even that was based on Torque with an overhauled rendering pipeline (OpenSceneGraph). I've been hovering on T3D 1.0.1 for quite some time waiting for the Mac support to advance to version 1.1 or 1.2, but it looks like that is finally happening with the MIT-licensed version, so I'll be upgrading shortly, and open sourcing FreeBuild at that point. Some brave soul just rewrote the OpenGL rendering pipeline in T3D, so we should have support for Basic and Advanced Lighting based on OpenGL on Windows AND OS X. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Linux support making a comeback either with that development. I'll keep everyone abreast of further news in the FB topic.
That's superb, thanks for the updates. And I would of course be honored to have you as a colleague here, if only for two years or so. Smile
There aren't likely to be any rooms opening up in your apartment are there?

Also....beard. Wut? When did that happen?
elfprince13 wrote:
There aren't likely to be any rooms opening up in your apartment are there?

Also....beard. Wut? When did that happen?
Actually, after this year there almost definitely is a room opening up! A little smaller than you're used to, I'm sure, but a good price for NYC. Wink Beard happened over the last few weeks from a combination of requests from my other (better?) half and willingness to try it with few meetings, thanks to my mono.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours