https://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21875

https://www.garagegames.com/community/blog/view/21876

Quote:
Eleven years ago, The GarageGames founders did an incredibly innovative thing when they sold a full source game engine for $100. We are excited to continue in their footsteps by announcing that we will be releasing Torque 3D as the best open source game technology in the world. Once again, GarageGames will be changing game development.

Why are we doing this?
Nine months ago, we realigned the goals of GarageGames; making Torque 3D available via a permissive open source license is a strategic move towards fulfilling the company vision. Our first goal was to use iTorque to build a new product we call 3 Step Studio. We envisioned a game development tool that requires no programming at all and began to build it. This product is available today for free, but it’s very, very, early in development and we expect to iterate many times before it is a commercially viable product. Our second goal was to build a service division. I’m happy to say that we’ve already booked our first million dollars in service work and we expect the growth trend to continue as we make Torque 3D more accessible. You can visit our services site at services.garagegames.com. We are very well prepared and staffed to provide support, training, and custom development.

Our long term plans are to focus on innovative uses of game technology. Currently, all GarageGames employees have the option to work on any project on Fridays. We are working on some really great projects under the initiative and it’s our hope that we will be able to invest in several of these projects as they evolve. We’ve encouraged our developers to open source these projects. If you think you have what it takes to be an innovative developer using game technology, consider applying for one of our open positions.

Dave Wyand will be leading the T3D open source effort and he has posted a blog describing the details around how we will run the development process. But before you dive into the details with Dave, I’d like to leave you with answers to some expected questions:

Is this version different or a subset of T3D?
We've split off some modules as separate downloads and we've removed some art to bring down the payload size. Other than those changes, the versions are the same.

Is this just a way for you to dump Torque 3D?
No. We've been using T3D internally for service projects and we expect that to continue. In some cases, our service work will directly benefit the core code base.

I recently bought your engine, I feel ripped off.
We will be offering refunds for T3D purchases that happened on or after Sept 1st but before this announcement.

What about other GarageGames engines?
We are starting open source efforts with T3D and learning from this experience. For now, the other engines/products are not available via the MIT license.

This means I can begin working on the physics and vehicle aspects of the game under the 1.2 engine in Windows while waiting to port the full game development over until the Mac support catches up.

More importantly, it means that from here on out, ANYONE can contribute and I'll be opening up the FreeBuild development IMMEDIATELY.
This is great news indeed, Elfprince13! I hope you find ways to publicize this to eligible FOSS (or just skilled/enthusiastic) C++ coders as well so the Freebuild project can get on the fast track!
Let's hope all the experienced coders use their magical powers to find Freebuild hidden away in a calculator website.
Lucas W wrote:
Let's hope all the experienced coders use their magical powers to find Freebuild hidden away in a calculator website.

That would be a sad prospect, if the appraisal were even remotely accurate. Fortunately for us, this isn't simply a calculator website, but a programming one, with a number of child projects spread across multiple platforms. They even did some adorable model rocketry at one point(keep in mind I've launched rockets taller than I am so I'm a bit elitest on that particular subject). I should remind you that TBM used to be a child project with its own section of another forum, back when we were on Mix-networks.com.

The main obstacle to recruiting additional programmers thus far has been licensing. Up until now, any interested programmer would need a $120 license if they wanted to join the project. Now that that barrier has fallen, it shouldn't be too difficult to get coders on board. The fact the site has a focus on calculator programming shouldn't deter anyone; numerous projects had their start on other programming forums before moving on to their own websites.
Dang, should have waited just a tad bit longer to get mine. hahaha. Ah well, money went toward a good company.

That being said, I've been so busy with work I haven't really been able to contribute, like, at all to this awesome project Sad
DShiznit wrote:
numerous projects had their start on other programming forums before moving on to their own websites.
Well-said. And as you point out, this is more than a calculator programming website now; we've been pushing more and more towards encompassing general programming and helping people to learn widely-applicable programming skills.

So now we just need some people who want an awesome LEGO mmo.
swivelgames wrote:
Dang, should have waited just a tad bit longer to get mine. hahaha. Ah well, money went toward a good company.

That being said, I've been so busy with work I haven't really been able to contribute, like, at all to this awesome project Sad

If you bought it at around the same time I did, then you also got a license to use the older TGE 1.5.2(which I've found performs a lot better on older and budget hardware, like what you'd have at school or work), so its not a total loss. Even if its not available on your products page anymore, I still have the installer if you ever want to do things old school.

EDIT- Oh I hope they opensource Torque 2D too, I have so many ideas that would work well in the 2D format.
DShiznit wrote:
numerous projects had their start on other programming forums before moving on to their own websites.

Just because it's been done before, and can stay like that, doesn't mean it should.
Lucas W wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Just because it's been done before, and can stay like that, doesn't mean it should.

Having its start on Cemetech gives the project credibility. There are many good products that have come out of this site. Even if they're mostly calculator related, they still serve as a documented history of quality programming, which will do a lot more at this stage than a fancy new website would.
Then why has no one showed up?
Lucas W wrote:
Because few programmers have both the skills and free time for a project of this magnitude. Every programmer skilled enough either is swamped with their own personal projects or making stacks of cash at work.
KermMartian wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
Because few programmers have both the skills and free time for a project of this magnitude. Every programmer skilled enough either is swamped with their own personal projects or making stacks of cash at work.

Not to mention the price barrier that is only now falling. Noone wants to pay $100 to work on someone else's project.

EDIT- any news yet on whether the 2D engine will be open-sourced as well? All kinds of awesome stuff I could do with that...
Quote:

That would be a sad prospect, if the appraisal were even remotely accurate. Fortunately for us, this isn't simply a calculator website, but a programming one, with a number of child projects spread across multiple platforms. They even did some adorable model rocketry at one point(keep in mind I've launched rockets taller than I am so I'm a bit elitest on that particular subject). I should remind you that TBM used to be a child project with its own section of another forum, back when we were on Mix-networks.com.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

Incidentally, the repository is now available on GitHub and GG has posted an FAQ.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours