Yes, but the teacher strongly suggests we use visual studio. AKA. Windows..
That sucks.

At my University, approx 30% of the students have macs (rich people....) and the professor for the programming course is a linux man, so he doesn't care as long as it compiles on his unix machine.

So I use Geany on my desktop and carry a flash drive with MinGW for the labs.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:

Then your teacher is misguided.
kinda like teachers that recommend Borland C++. No one uses that.
As for VS 2012 vs. 2010, I find the 2012 version much better. Seems to be faster and a lot easier to navigate. If nothing else, VS 2010 looks awful Razz
Yea, and Seana, i think he is perfectly normal actually. The class is supposed to help eachother before asking for his help. So you learn by helping. If you are all using the same program, it helps put everyone on the same page
seana11 wrote:
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:

Don't troll an otherwise constructive topic with your bilious nonsense. There's nothing misguided about programming C/C++ with Visual Studio on Windows.
I used to develop on Windows with visual studio. But then I found out about Linux and I was using an ide for development. But then when I started college I was introduced to vim and use it almost exclusively. The only time I find myself not using it is when I am working on android applications.
@Kerm the teacher was being called misguided for being so restrictive, not for choosing VS. I would call a teacher that requires a MinGW-based environment just as misguided. My current teacher presents many options, recommending different ones for ease of setup, complexity, etc.

I like an IDE for some of the features, like variable completion.
seana11 wrote:

No, not really. VS is by far the best IDE - nothing comes even remotely close. Learning on the best makes it easier to get up and running, although it does have the downside in that anything else you use will be terrible by comparison.

On Windows you can also cover the big 2 languages that you are likely to use at an actual, paying job - Java and .NET. Linux can't really do .NET (and no, Mono doesn't count - nobody actually uses that for anything)
Kllrnohj wrote:
seana11 wrote:

No, not really. VS is by far the best IDE - nothing comes even remotely close. Learning on the best makes it easier to get up and running, although it does have the downside in that anything else you use will be terrible by comparison.

On Windows you can also cover the big 2 languages that you are likely to use at an actual, paying job - Java and .NET. Linux can't really do .NET (and no, Mono doesn't count - nobody actually uses that for anything)

I think that there are definitely other IDEs that are better than VS. I can't really make a comparison here because I haven't used VS enough to know all it's faults.

Linux can most definitely do all the popular languages. From the following list of languages by popularity, C# comes in only at #7. Java and C have easily 3 times as much usage as C#. Linux supports all of the popular languages. I think you should reconsider your opinion about the ubiquity of .NET.
*AHelper hugs KDevelop4 and VS

I can't give good reasons to back myself up as I have only used an older version of VS. IIRC, VS doesn't like to use any other build systems nicely. The current one that it uses isn't very transparent. I name KDev4 for its code parser (for function completion and documenation), color-coding, and configurable code reformatter. VS provides intellisense or w/e, and I hope that it parses everything you type out, but it is Windows only. VS supports many languages, but only the ones it is made for. KDev4 only supports C/C++/PHP for full/most features, and doesn't provide anything else than what Kate provides (syntax-highlighting editing).

(Also noting Qt Creator since it has all of the things I want in an IDE, but is geared towards Qt programs)

As you can see, my qualifiers for a good IDE are unique. I guess the best advice is to just try them all out since everybody wants something different.
I use Geany because it's simple and I can use it for everything I ever program in. I have C++, C, Java, Python, Ruby, and a bunch more.

Oh, also. Screw .NET. It's just a java knockoff. Even Python beats it in popularity Razz
/me remembers how KDE stands for Kool Desktop Environment.

I like geany as well, but I use eclipse for java because of the automation and javadocs lookup.
seana11 wrote:
I think that there are definitely other IDEs that are better than VS. I can't really make a comparison here because I haven't used VS enough to know all it's faults.

Nope, there aren't. I've tried just about ever major IDE, VS is so incredibly far ahead of everyone else it's insane.

Eclipse is probably the closest second place.

Quote:
Linux can most definitely do all the popular languages. From the following list of languages by popularity, C# comes in only at #7. Java and C have easily 3 times as much usage as C#. Linux supports all of the popular languages. I think you should reconsider your opinion about the ubiquity of .NET.

Who said anything about popular? I specifically said *paying jobs*.

Also, this far more widely used ranking disagrees with the ranking you found: http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

willrandship wrote:
Oh, also. Screw .NET. It's just a java knockoff.

C#/.NET is *awesome*. Calling it a "Java knockoff" is overlooking that it's really "Java with everything fixed, plus awesome features, and real, actual improvements over time". Oh, and it has one of the best UI toolkits out there in WPF (even the old win form bindings still blows away Java's built in trash)

The last real language improvement Java has had was in 1.5, which is 6 years old now. Java 7 dropped the cool features. And that's ignoring that generics are *still* broken (and will probably never be fixed, sadly), and that Java's enums remain the most mind numbingly idiotic and over engineered implementation of an enum ever.
Sorry, but I can't take a programming language that intentionally ties itself to a specific software platform seriously, when it could just as easily be applied to many others.

If you want adoption of a language, you make it an Open standard. Making it closed is like saying "This language shouldn't be used by anyone, ever, because it will eventually become old and decrepit, with no ability to evolve"
willrandship wrote:
Sorry, but I can't take a programming language that intentionally ties itself to a specific software platform seriously, when it could just as easily be applied to many others.

If you want adoption of a language, you make it an Open standard. Making it closed is like saying "This language shouldn't be used by anyone, ever, because it will eventually become old and decrepit, with no ability to evolve"
You do realize that Microsoft actively works with Mono to implement things and have started opening up some of the core libraries. And the .NET Compact Framework has always been available in source form to allow porting to custom embedded devices. The .NET CLI is nowhere near as closed as you think it is and while Mono isn't perfect, if you write your code with it in mind it is possible to make things cross platform. Merth's TokenIDE is a perfect example of this, as well as projects such as libusbdotnet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours