*double-post*

Release Candidate 2 is here! RC2 adds many bug and stability fixes, a toggle-able bounding box and axes, another graph color mode, and several useability improvements. Give it a download and try it today; this will surely become an permanent fixture on your Casio Prizm. The full list of fixes:

:: Added 'pi' constant, typed with [2nd][EXP]
:: Added poweroff from equation editor and graph view
:: Added toggle-able axes and bounding box
:: Added a third graph color mode
:: Inverted initial rotation so that graphs start the correct way up
:: Graph color mode, axis settings, and background color are now saved between sessions, just like the equations and window settings.
:: Fixed bug in line-clipping routine when both endpoints of a line are offscreen but part of the line is onscreen
:: Fixed several crash-causing bugs in gCAS2 computer-algebra system, including crashes with equations like "function()+" and "function(3+)"
:: Many other fixes and useability tweaks.

Thanks to all the users who gave me feedback and suggestions, including but certainly not limited to glb08ma, Deep Thought, flyingfisch, _player1537, ruler501, and others.

Download
Graph3DP 1.0 Release Candidate 2

KermMartian wrote:
Ouch, flyingfisch, that's quite harsh. Part of the slowdown is the lack of an FPU, part of the slowdown is the custom CAS (which, to be fair, is pretty streamlined), and part of it is the non-negligible overhead of the Bdisp_PutDisp_DD() call. I find Graph3DP to be quite fast, even when whizzing more than one graphed equation around the screen.

Anyway, added the "pi" constant, fixed the initial axes, and that heart looks particularly good under Graph3DP's default zoom settings with these equations:

Z1= 3*sqrt(1-(abs(.33*X)-1)^2)
Z2= 3*acos(1-abs(.33*X))-3*pi

I'm now packing up RC2; I'll bump this thread with the announcement.

I am really sorry... I did not mean to sound harsh at all. I was just observing the fact. I was not blaming anyone either. I just realized that it would probably not be feasible to add mesh to it.

Like I said, I am really sorry for the wording of that post.

I am really excited about RC2, btw... putting it on my calc right now.
This is great!

I want to leave a suggestion, is just a simple detail to make the add-in more "casio like".

change window and zoom position keys

however , window is more used that zoom, possibly, as is, is more "user like" Good Idea
Just realized a minor thing... When you show the menu while rotating the graph, [exit] still does not minimize it. Besides that, awesome! Smile

EDIT:

also, how do I access the abs() function?
Helder: Done, I swapped Zoom and Window.
Flying: Fixed that. abs(), as I think you now know, is [ab/c].
I wonder if there could be a way to zoom out the graph itself without showing any more of the graph than before? This way the graph itself would be smaller.

I don't know if i am making myself clear. Please tell me if I am not. Smile
flyingfisch wrote:
I wonder if there could be a way to zoom out the graph itself without showing any more of the graph than before? This way the graph itself would be smaller.

I understand what you mean; you want to zoom in on the graph mesh without changing the extrema used to generate the mesh itself. I understood when you suggested that previously, but I can't say I'm convinced of the usefulness of that particular feature. What do you envision it being used for?
KermMartian wrote:
flyingfisch wrote:

I understand what you mean; you want to zoom in on the graph mesh without changing the extrema used to generate the mesh itself. I understood when you suggested that previously, but I can't say I'm convinced of the usefulness of that particular feature. What do you envision it being used for?

Well for one thing, being able to view all parts of a graph like x^2-y^2. It's just weird having parts of the graph flying off the screen...

EDIT:

I improved the 3D heart equation.

Z1: 3*sqrt(1-(abs(.33*X)-1)^2)+3*sqrt(1-((.33*Y)-1)^2)
Z2: (3*acos(1-abs(.33*X))-3*pi)-3*sqrt(1-((.33*Y)-1)^2)

It actually draws a 3D heart. Wink
I just tried that on my Prizm; looks great. Smile So, it sounds like no major failures so far, if I don't implement that secondary zooming mode? Anyone else have comments on this second RC?
I just thought this might be nice, being able to move the center of rotation around the screen? Would this be possible? Does anyone else think it would be nice?

Other than that, nope, excellent job as always, Kerm Smile

EDIT:

Even better heart graph (centered on all axis)

Z1: 3*sqrt(1-(abs(.33*X)-1)^2)+3*sqrt(1-((.33*Y))^2)
Z2: (3*acos(1-abs(.33*X))-3*pi)-3*sqrt(1-((.33*Y))^2)

EDIT2:

Maybe in trace mode the only graph displayed should be the one being traced?
flyingfisch wrote:
EDIT2:

I thought about that, but I think it's better as-is, particularly if users are trying to find things like intersection points.
KermMartian wrote:
flyingfisch wrote:
EDIT2:

I thought about that, but I think it's better as-is, particularly if users are trying to find things like intersection points.

what about make a view-all option and a view-separate option?

I guess it's not a big deal though, since if a user really wanted to see only one graph, he could do it through the equations screen.
Indeed, that's my feeling as well. The user already has a lot of control with simply turning equations on and off, so I figure if they really want to isolate graphs during tracing, they can do it that way. Have you run into any crash bugs during your testing?
KermMartian wrote:
Have you run into any crash bugs during your testing?

Not at all. Smile
flyingfisch wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Have you run into any crash bugs during your testing?

Not at all. Smile
Excellent, I'm happy to hear that. I'll wait for some other people to weigh in positively or negatively, and if everything works out, I'll call it a win and release version 1.0.
To make this feel more like the native graphing app, you may want to have pressing [exit] while in graph view bring you back to the equation view. Wink

EDIT:

Is this a bug?

Z1: 1.5^X

The lines going all over the place should not be there. If you zoom in a *lot* it looks good, but it should look good from all zoom levels, I think.
Shouldn't 2X be the same as 2*X and X(2) the same as X*(2)? That's how math notation works and how the OS expression parser works.
X(2) is not the same as X*(2) as X(2) is interpreted as X being a function. Look at giac/AMS: That is how gCAS2 works with variable naming and function calling.

2X should be 2*X, yes, I just haven't touched that area yet. Also, this has no relation to the Prizm's OS. This is made for GlassOS but can be ported easily (as you can see Smile )
gbl08ma wrote:
Shouldn't 2X be the same as 2*X and X(2) the same as X*(2)? That's how math notation works and how the OS expression parser works.

Yeah, I noticed that too but I think it is a limitation of gCAS.

EDIT:

OK, after using this for real problems for a while, here are some UI tweaks I suggest.

:: Make [f1] trace. I find myself pressing that button without thinking, trying to get to trace, and find myself stuck at the equation screen.

:: Make [f2] zoom and [f3] v-window. I keep pressing f3 for v-window and it gets a little confusing when I end up with zoom instead.

:: make [exit] exit to the equation screen.

:: maybe have [f6] go from equation to graph and vice versa.

Basically, the closer it gets to the default graphing app, the better.

Anyway, if this doesn't fit in with your future plans for G3DP, that's fine, these are not serious problems.

EDIT2:
flyingfisch wrote:

Is this a bug?

Z1: 1.5^X

The lines going all over the place should not be there. If you zoom in a *lot* it looks good, but it should look good from all zoom levels, I think.

Do you know why this happens?

Z1: 100X

does the same thing.
It's an issue called frustrum clipping, which I realized I don't have. Basically, if lines extend past the camera plane (ie, behind your "eyes", the geometry gets wonky. Full 3D renders implement frustrum clipping/culling, which clips lines at the camera plane if they would otherwise go beyond it. If I care about fixing that issue, I will have to implement that.

Regarding the menu buttons: I am not going to switch around which menu corresponds to which F button this late in the game, but I am going to make [EXIT] in any mode other than equation-editing return you to the equation editor.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours