I got a Doctor Who-themed present for my girlfriend last month, as she is also a Whovian, and to make it extra-special, I decided to whip up a custom box. I used sheets of balsa wood for the sides, bottom, and top, and used 1/8"x1/4" sticks of balsa to join the sheets at edges and corners. For good measure, I put a jumbo 7mm white/clear LED on the top as a light, but I didn't have the time to make that LED do anything. Using what I had at hand, the wood is "painted" with blue and black Sharpie markers. This weekend, however, I decided to pull out a breadboard, a 555 timer IC, and my residual recollections from my junior-year analog electronics course, and whipped up a fading circuit for my LED, powered by a 9V battery. Enjoy!

Sweet. I should use my dads reserve of wood and balsa to build one too!
comicIDIOT wrote:
Sweet. I should use my dads reserve of wood and balsa to build one too!
You should! Once I figured out the geometry for the roof and the proper way to make it not fall apart while I tried to glue it, it wasn't too bad to make.
This is great Kerm!
JamesV wrote:
This is great Kerm!
Many thanks. Smile Bsparks also posted a video of a little plush TARDIS; I'm still waiting to find out if he made it himself for not.
I'm surprised you haven't gotten the 'Police box' written all over it, and the sign for the door. :p

Details!

It otherwise looks completely and totally awesome. Smile
Back when I played with simple electronics I used a 555 IC all the time. Good show.
tifreak8x wrote:
I'm surprised you haven't gotten the 'Police box' written all over it, and the sign for the door. :p

Details!
Yes, it was intended to be a quick-and-dirty gift box but gradually grew beyond my plans. DShiznit, I do love a good 555 circuit, and hate when people use a microcontroller for something like this.
This is great!!!! Nice work Smile
elfprince13 wrote:
This is great!!!! Nice work Smile
Cheers! It's a simple enough circuit that you could easily build it, and I'm sure your woodworking skills far outshine my own.
*bump* At the request of someone on YouTube, here's the schematic, including component values, for the TARDIS model in the video:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours