Ok, so, where do I get such an adapter? I already have the SE.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Ok, so, where do I get such an adapter? I already have the SE.
Take a look at Brandon Wilson's website for the build instructions. Note that this is only necessary if your mouse takes >= 200mW. If it takes <200mW, you can get away without the power injection and just use the adapter:

http://brandonw.net/calculators/
So do you mean that if I use a roll-ball mouse, I can use the adapter I linked to, but if I use an optical mouse, I need this bizzare thing?
CalebHansberry wrote:
So do you mean that if I use a roll-ball mouse, I can use the adapter I linked to, but if I use an optical mouse, I need this bizzare thing?

Look at the specs for your mouse and see what it draws.

KermM: do you mean mW or mA? I had it in mind that it was 100 mA limit (which the optical mouse I have here would actually do just fine with).
Derpity derp-derp, and I call myself an electrical engineer. Very Happy I meant mA, of course. Caleb: As elfprince said, it depends what the current draw of that particular optical mouse is.
KermMartian wrote:
Derpity derp-derp, and I call myself an electrical engineer. Very Happy I meant mA, of course. Caleb: As elfprince said, it depends what the current draw of that particular optical mouse is.

It's okay. Some physicists use "electron-Volt" variously as a unit of energy, mass, and temperature, depending on the context (with various implied constants attached).
My mouse says 100 mA on the bottom. Does that mean the adapter will work after all? Another mouse says 25mA. Will it work?
CalebHansberry wrote:
My mouse says 100 mA on the bottom. Does that mean the adapter will work after all? Another mouse says 25mA. Will it work?
The 25mA mouse will definitely work. The 100mA mouse is pushing it, but it's worth a try. Either way, the simple passive adapter is pretty easy to use and hopefully not too expensive, so I'd give it a try.
CalebHansberry wrote:

In theory 100mA should be fine, but as Kerm said it will be pushing it, depending on how well it respects that label. My 100mA-labeled mouse only actually draws 98mA according to my System Profiler.
I am sorry, but, what is a System Profiler, and what is the simple passive adapter - the cheap one I gave the link to?
System Profiler is a tool used to give information on computer's hardware and software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_profiler)

as for a passive adapter, you probably something like this http://compare.ebay.com/like/280777887288?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Indeed, except USB to USB instead of USB to PS/2. Passive in the sense that all it has is wires connecting pins in one port/jack to pins in the other port/jack. An active adapter would include additional circuitry of some kind, including power injection, level-shifting, or something even more complex.
Hmm, I received the adapter today, but Jerry doesn't run! It doesn't even appear in Doors CS, and when I use HomeRun, it gives me error "invalid filetype"! I have tried DCS versions 6,7.1, and 7.2 Beta.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Hmm, I received the adapter today, but Jerry doesn't run! It doesn't even appear in Doors CS, and when I use HomeRun, it gives me error "invalid filetype"! I have tried DCS versions 6,7.1, and 7.2 Beta.
It's an SE, not a program. You don't run it; Doors CS runs it for you. Make sure that Shell Extensions / SEs are enabled in the DCS Menu.
The DCS menu? You mean "options"? I don't see anything about "se"s or "shell extensions" anywhere...
CalebHansberry wrote:
The DCS menu? You mean "options"? I don't see anything about "se"s or "shell extensions" anywhere...
Hmm, and I could have sworn they were there. Smile Well, at any rate, SEs run in the background and don't show up as programs. Is your mouse getting enough power?
KermMartian wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:
Hmm, and I could have sworn they were there. Smile Well, at any rate, SEs run in the background and don't show up as programs. Is your mouse getting enough power?

Well, rats, the SE is running jez fine. That brings the problem back around to the adapter. How do I know if the mouse is getting enough power? BTW, the adapter cost $0.85 free shipping, came from Hong Kong in a genuine Chinese envelope, and took a month to ship.
Well, what power rating does the mouse have, looking at the bottom of it? I wouldn't be surprised if occasional mice didn't work, even within the required power envelope. Perhaps try it with the standalone USB8x, as a double-chekc?
It is a roll-ball usb mouse; fairly uncommon. I have no other mice to test besides optical ones, which require 100mA and didn't work any better. The mouse I'm using is 25mA, and also it's small, red, and has a scroller.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours