For MP3s, you need to install the non-free (as in speech, not as in beer) decoder package, if I recall correctly. Assuming Merth sent you a DVD with Ubuntu 12.04, the very first Google result for "Ubuntu 12.04 play MP3" is exactly the instructions you need.
CalebHansberry wrote:
First of all, thank you very much for the CD, Merth! I have received and installed it now. Thanks so much!

Second... now what? Smile Mainly, how do I connect to the internet in Ubuntu if I have a USB Wi-Fi adapter??? And then:

I just got done installing ubuntu on my cousin's computer, and he has a USB 3G air card.

In Ubuntu, this should work:

1. Login
2. Look at the top panel for an internet icon. Click it.
3. In the drop down menu, select "Edit connections..."
4. Click the "Mobile Broadband" tab.
5. Click "add"
6. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
If it's a WiFi adapter, it shouldn't appear in "Mobile Broadband"; however, it will be in one of the tabs at the same level as "Mobile broadband" Smile
Lionel Debroux wrote:
If it's a WiFi adapter, it shouldn't appear in "Mobile Broadband"; however, it will be in one of the tabs at the same level as "Mobile broadband" Smile

But it sounds like he has mobile broadband if its 3G...
I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter. It connects to the WiFi signal our Samsung Galaxy Tab makes, which said tablet receives a 3G signal. Do I need to install some kind of driver for the adapter, or does Ubuntu already know what to do with the USB adapter?
Also, I won't pay for a decoder - if thats what Kerm means.
It should automatically know what driver to choose, otherwise, post your problem Wink
You dont have to pay all he meant by non-free is that the source is not available.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Also, I won't pay for a decoder - if thats what Kerm means.
Please read my post carefully, and check the topic I linked. I said it was an issue of free-as-in-speech, not free-as-in-beer, which means it's intellectual freedom versus monetary freedom.
Ah. Well, the deal is that I totally didn't get the beer thing. Smile
CalebHansberry wrote:
It's a well-known expression in the FLOSS/FOSS/OSS community:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre#.22Free_beer.22_vs_.22free_speech.22_distinction
KermMartian wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:
It's a well-known expression in the FLOSS/FOSS/OSS community:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre#.22Free_beer.22_vs_.22free_speech.22_distinction

Hmm. Didn't know. Now I do.

My problem is that my computer doesn't connect to the internet. When the computer turns on, a box pops up for a few seconds that says I am now offline. I put my info into a profile, but that did not affect it.
why is ubuntu the "main" linux
It isn't the main Linux distribution, but it is widely used among desktops and is relatively newb-friendly.
Quote:
My problem is that my computer doesn't connect to the internet. When the compiter turns on, a box pops up for a few seconds that says I am now offline. I put my info into a profile, but that did not affect it.

Maybe this can help.
JoeYoung wrote:
As Souvik said, there's no such thing as a main Linux distribution. There's a huge difference between the needs of mobile (phone) users, home users, office users, server administrators, embedded programmers, etc. For each of those applications, there are a different set of distributions particularly well-suited to the particular area.
JoeYoung wrote:

I never said it was. I said it seems to me, meaning, from my angle as a newbie, and as I personally am affected by my surroundings.

souvik1997 wrote:
It isn't the main Linux distribution, but it is widely used among desktops and is relatively newb-friendly.
Quote:
My problem is that my computer doesn't connect to the internet. When the compiter turns on, a box pops up for a few seconds that says I am now offline. I put my info into a profile, but that did not affect it.

Maybe this can help.

I will see if this helps.
Just burnt MintLinux 13 to disk, and installed...I like it, it's pretty responsive, faster than my windows 7! I have it dual booted so I keep both OS, but I like this one, a lot!
Yeah, Mint is responsive - as virtually any Linux distro. Anyhow, it's not too hard to make something more responsive than Windows Wink
So far, I hate Ubuntu! It has no drivers available for it so I can do very little, has crashed several times, and I have failed every time I have tried to install a program.
CalebHansberry wrote:
So far, I hate Ubuntu! It has no drivers available for it so I can do very little, has crashed several times, and I have failed every time I have tried to install a program.
What sort of drivers? It pretty much has drivers built-in for everything. What sort of crashes? What programs have you tried to install?
If there's no drivers available, or you have a pretty exotic setup, or you look at the wrong place.

Usually, pasting your lines of lspci and lsusb one at a time into Google will help.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours