The idea I have behind this would be more or less to allow Cemetech users a specific place to list items they are either looking to buy that other users might have and are willing to part with, or list items that a user is looking to sell.

As part of the rules for such an arrangement, it would need to be explicitly noted that Cemetech is not responsible in any way for unsatisfactory transactions, and that no monetary transactions would happen within Cemetech; that a third party payment system such as paypal will be needed to complete transactions.

What are your thoughts on such a thing being on the forum?
It would be a good idea, as almost every French calc boards got that (although limited to calc stuff in their case)
I don't think there would be enough activity to warrant a subforum solely for this purpose. With that said, though, I think that combine with a few other goals, a technology-related subforum separate from the current Technology Open Topic would be helpful. I notice that we have more and more users (including myself) asking about desktop builds and picking hardware, plus the usual non-calculator software help topics so perhaps a Tech Advice/Swap subforum for software and hardware help and tech swapping? Or do you guys disagree with those, what things could be combined together? And if we did that, what would the current Tech Open Topic turn into?
I agree. That would be awesome to have. Just because one person can't use it, doesn't mean another person can't.
graphmastur wrote:
I agree. That would be awesome to have. Just because one person can't use it, doesn't mean another person can't.
Since your post time suggests that you missed my post, do you think that the combination I idly considered is worthwhile, or combining too dissimilar things together?
KermMartian wrote:
graphmastur wrote:
Since your post time suggests that you missed my post, do you think that the combination I idly considered is worthwhile, or combining too dissimilar things together?

Yep, missed your post. I think it depends on what you want to use it for. For the people that say "I'm looking for....", and they're just asking for free/cheap hardware that no one uses anymore (which I'll do to be perfectly honest), then it won't be very healthy by itself.

If people are more into the "here's my junk, take it" part, then we have a problem of people just shuffling junk around, which also isn't healthy. (Although one man's junk is another man's treasure, they say...)

I think a good balance would be a mix between hardware hacking and re-purposing.

For example, you could say I have these items.... Any ideas of what I can make with them? And If some else says "Hey, I could make a mini server out of that" or "hey, I need that stepper driver", and the poster agrees to it, they could trade that way.

My basic point is, given the site's focus, I would say that it would be best to first attempt to educate, and then allow trading or selling under that, instead of making it an all out marketplace.

As for the topic, I would say anything close to hardware hacking should be fine. Depending on how big it gets, you can then put it in it's own sub-forum. People can still post what they have that they want to give away, but I would discourage people posting "I'm looking for X", unless you had a topic specifically devoted to that. That's not a bad idea, actually....
My only concern for combining things would be posts not getting noticed, which happens frequently. I was just suggesting starting a section up that would essentially be like a craigslist of sorts, but for tech stuff that we all have, and some would like to get rid of. Like right now, I'm looking for parts for a couple of laptops. Someone here on the forums might actually have those parts, but there is no good place to make said topics.
I hear your concerns on that point; perhaps there's an endemic problem of people not going to the New Posts page, then? Out of curiosity, I should really make a poll checking how many people go to the New Posts, and how many just scroll down the Forum Index, and see if there's a way we can push people to start at the New Posts page more frequently.
I primarily look at the index, if there is a subforum that's lit up, I click on it to see what's there. There are topics and such I can't help at all, so I don't even bother looking at those.
I always go to New Posts to see if I see any posts that interest me. If the topic title looks good, I'll go read it.
tifreak8x wrote:
I primarily look at the index, if there is a subforum that's lit up, I click on it to see what's there. There are topics and such I can't help at all, so I don't even bother looking at those.
But then you potentially miss multiple new topics within the same subforum, don't you think? That's why I try to encourage people who are checking new posts to go to the New Posts, and people who are just browsing to go through the forum hierarchy.
graphmastur wrote:
I always go to New Posts to see if I see any posts that interest me. If the topic title looks good, I'll go read it.

I always view the New Posts page and generally get to every topic. Maybe not everyday but I'll read every topic eventually. Some I'll read daily, the others weekly.
I use the New Posts page almost exclusively, unless I know I messed it up by logging in and not checking.
elfprince13 wrote:
I use the New Posts page almost exclusively, unless I know I messed it up by logging in and not checking.
That's why I added the Week Posts link; maybe I should actually make that be the default behavior when the New Posts page is empty. In fact, I'm going to do that.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
That's why I added the Week Posts link; maybe I should actually make that be the default behavior when the New Posts page is empty. In fact, I'm going to do that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Very Happy Even better would be if you allowed a variable window defaulting to a week.
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:
But then you potentially miss multiple new topics within the same subforum, don't you think? That's why I try to encourage people who are checking new posts to go to the New Posts, and people who are just browsing to go through the forum hierarchy.

No, because I click on the subforum link, and it shows all active topics that have been posted in.
Maybe a "Posts since your last checking of this page" type thing? Or a "click this box when you've read all you want to mark everything as read"?
tifreak8x wrote:
The idea I have behind this would be more or less to allow Cemetech users a specific place to list items they are either looking to buy that other users might have and are willing to part with, or list items that a user is looking to sell.

As part of the rules for such an arrangement, it would need to be explicitly noted that Cemetech is not responsible in any way for unsatisfactory transactions, and that no monetary transactions would happen within Cemetech; that a third party payment system such as paypal will be needed to complete transactions.

That sounds like exactly what I want!
But then I had also wanted to set up local Cemetech clubs, which would meet weekly or something, too.
CalebHansberry wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

But then I had also wanted to set up local Cemetech clubs, which would meet weekly or something, too.

What's wrong with hcwp?
seana11 wrote:
CalebHansberry wrote:

What's wrong with hcwp?

Nothing. HCWP is an online meeting, Caleb is suggesting either in-person meetings or online meetings much like HCWP but for local groups of Cemetechians. I don't know which but it isn't a HCWP repalcement.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours